News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why do I love 'Wide Right'?

Started by LennG, January 22, 2024, 12:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

:jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:

Like the soccer guy with his 'GOOOOOAAAAALLLL
 call.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 23, 2024, 11:44:06 AMGoing back to the subject of the OP, I found this pretty amusing. Don't show this to any Bills fans you're friendly with though. It's the Bass miss on Korean TV.

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1749576935519265005

During my off-seasons when soccer season was done, when I still lived in Central New York State, I usedto keep my leg muscles limber by punting and kicking footballs. Unless any of you have ever tried to kick a field goal in January, in upstate New York, when temps are in the teens or 20s, and the winds are gusting to 30 mph, you cannot appreciate just how near impossible this game winning FG attempt was to make.

First, he had the benefit of a dry ball and dry field. That helps tremendously! When you have a wind blowing across the ground, left to right as it appeared to on the TV screen, and the kick had to be made from 40-45 yards out, as a kicker the first thing you realize is that you had better be aiming for that left goal post! Next, you had better keep your kick low enough so the ball cuts through the wind but minimizes its "slice factor" (golf term?), but not too low so as to have the kick blocked at the line (Special Teams Coach, put the right blocking scheme in so the Chiefs can't block the lower kick). So, in golf terminology, aim left, use the 3-iron instead of the 5-iron, and don't hit the trees leaning out over the left side of the fairway.

Once he kicked it, the ball got caught up on the wind and he was aiming between the uprights. In other words, he needs to learn how to kick field goals in upstate New York in January.

Simple as that!

Or whatever the Korean commentator said!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Blue Cusan

I was surprised he was throwing for the end zone. That would have left a minute and a half for KC with one time out and Buffalo couldn't stop them all game.

I thought the only strategy there would be to pick up another first down. Then they would have control of the clock and at worst have a closer field goal attempt for OT.

It just didn't make sense to me.