News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Tight End Conundrum - Brock Bowers

Started by jgrangers2, January 24, 2024, 02:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgrangers2

I know the idea of drafting a tight end with the 6th overall pick really puts people off, but Bowers might be the best TE prospect to come along in the last decade and there probably won't be another one close in the near future. He's got great speed for a guy his size, which will make it tough on linebackers and at 240 pounds, he'll be a tough cover for most safeties and CB while also being a solid enough in-line blocker and a really good one in space. We've also seen recently what great tight ends can do. There are two very good teams in the last decade that have built their offense around a great tight end.

As of now, I'd 100% take the three QBs, MHJ and maybe Nabers over him. If we decide Neal isn't going to be a capable NFL OT then maybe Alt and Fashanu go over him too. I understand the general thought of why a WR would get prioritized over a tight end. They're more explosive and are generally better weapons whereas tight ends tend to be bigger bodies that create separation with their size so they don't have the same upside. If Bowers reaches his potential, he's the natural successor to the Gronk/Kelce throne so what would be so wrong about drafting him 6 that isn't just living by the maxim of "don't draft tight ends that high".

Gmo11

I don't subscribe to the idea that no position should be drafted high under any circumstances.  Even RB depending on the team's situation though it would have to be a special situation and a special RB to do it. 

But I don't think taking a TE at 6 is the right idea for the Giants.  Bellinger and Waller are good (when he's healthy) and they have much bigger needs right now.  I'd rather see them trade a million picks for Caleb Williams than sit tight and take Bowers. 

But if the first 5 picks are 3 QBs, Nabers and Marvin Harrison and the Giants are in a spot where it seems Bowers or a tackle are the best prospects left I'd be inclined to discuss trading down slightly for a team that does need Bowers pretty badly.

Jolly Blue Giant

My feelings are different. Build the trenches and work out from there. I like TE's Cade Stover and Brevyn Spann-Ford because they are the highest rated blocking TEs. Spann-Ford is 6-7, 275 lbs and was going to be an OT, but he was too athletic to waste his spot there, so he was made into a TE, who blocks like an OT when he's not the receiver. Line him up next to Neal, and maybe we can start giving DJ time for plays to run their course...plus he can catch and is very athletic as a reciever as indicated by this picture of him...pretty awesome for such a huge man

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Giant Obsession

I am always amazed when people predict about positional players in college or just starting college that there will not be another "beast" at a certain position for years to come better than "this" beast or group of beasts.

Every year I hear this is the best or the deepest draft for (fill in the blank) position on the horizon.  Certainly there are years where a draft is weak regarding a position or two, but it seldom lasts.

I pray this convoluted way of thinking never enters our draft room.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

uconnjack8

How is Bowers blocking? 

I have no problem with drafting a TE in the top 10 if they are a difference maker as a pass catcher and inline blocker. 

OP you mentioned Gronk.  Gronk's highlights were largely catching passes, but IMO, he was a better blocker than receiver.  He destroyed top DEs in the running game regularly.  He was like having an extra OT when he lined up that way. 

jgrangers2

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 24, 2024, 03:18:49 PMHow is Bowers blocking? 

I have no problem with drafting a TE in the top 10 if they are a difference maker as a pass catcher and inline blocker. 

OP you mentioned Gronk.  Gronk's highlights were largely catching passes, but IMO, he was a better blocker than receiver.  He destroyed top DEs in the running game regularly.  He was like having an extra OT when he lined up that way. 

Gronk was an absolute monster. Bowers isn't on par with him but, from what I've seen, he can get the job done and is very good at blocking in space. I know others have mentioned that we already have Bellinger and Waller. First off, you're drafting Bowers for the long haul. Waller can't stay healthy and might not be here beyond this year. Second, Bellinger is more of a blocking tight end that will catch some passes. To me, people are so focused on getting that big X receiver who can be the #1 passing option, but if you're drafting Bowers, you're drafting him to be your #1 receiver.

Painter

Bowers is a top-5 talent as a receiver and run blocker. While I think of it as almost certain that the Giants will use the No.6 pick on a receiver, I expect that it will be a WR like Washington's Rome Odunze or LSU's Malik Nabers, the latter currently being the Mockateers consensus favorite by a wide margin.

Cheers!

jgrangers2

Quote from: Painter on January 24, 2024, 04:58:09 PMBowers is a top-5 talent as a receiver and run blocker. While I think of it as almost certain that the Giants will use the No.6 pick on a receiver, I expect that it will be a WR like Washington's Rome Odunze or LSU's Malik Nabers, the latter currently being the Mockateers consensus favorite by a wide margin.

Cheers!

This is kind of my overarching point. People talk about the Giants needing a true #1 receiver and all I'm saying is that guy doesn't have to be a typical X wide receiver. Bowers can be a top target in a good offense ala Gronk and Kelce.

ralphpal1

I think more first round TEs end up as bigger bust then 1st round QBs
K Pitts was the last
The one tampa drafted
Eric ebron the lions drafted were suppose to be unstoppable
When do they work out

DaveBrown74

Our offense has been an unmitigated disgrace for years. If we're not taking a QB, which appears to likely be the case, they should draft the best offensive player regardless of position (with a couple of obvious exceptions). We need help everywhere, including at TE. If they estimate that Bowers is a better pro prospect than Nabers and Odunze, then they should grip and rip him.

And frankly if they think the clear best player outside of the top three QBs is a defensive player like Dallas Turner, then I'm actually ok with them going in that direction as well with this pick. The whole team stinks, including the defense. Yes, the offense was a good bit worse than the defense, but the defense was not good this year. Not at all.

Stringer Bell

There are no circumstances under which a team with this many holes should draft a TE at #6. None.

We heard all the same "generational talent" commentary with Pitts, and he has 6 TDs in 44 career NFL games.

Assuming the 3 QBs and MHJ are gone, my priorities would be:

-- Nabers
-- Latu
-- Alt / Fashanu
-- Wiggins
-- Turner
-- Odunze

Philosophers

Great head coaches find a way to exploit a positional advantage.  Bill B did it using two great TEs simultaneously.  I have no problem drafting him if he is that good and can be schemed every game to make a difference.

Giants had average WRs who could never get open against good CBs then they draft Jeremy Shockey who put so much pressure in the middle of the field defenses that the WRs started to be a factor.

jgrangers2

Quote from: Philosophers on January 25, 2024, 10:46:58 AMGreat head coaches find a way to exploit a positional advantage.  Bill B did it using two great TEs simultaneously.  I have no problem drafting him if he is that good and can be schemed every game to make a difference.

Giants had average WRs who could never get open against good CBs then they draft Jeremy Shockey who put so much pressure in the middle of the field defenses that the WRs started to be a factor.

He can be a guy who can stretch the field from the middle and, even when he's not getting the ball, he can pull safety attention from a guy like Hyatt and put him 1-on-1 for a corner to run with. With Bowers, I just see a pass catching weapon who happens to be able to block fairly well.