News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Schefter: Belichick may not get a job this year

Started by DaveBrown74, January 25, 2024, 02:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Schefter apparently reporting that talks between Belichick and the Falcons have cooled of late:

https://twitter.com/jasrifootball/status/1750579016170447067

MightyGiants

I believe Bill Belichick is the GOAT.

That said, I think that the physical and mental demands on coaches are so great that it's hard to maintain peak effectiveness as you get into your late 60s and early 70s.

Even if I am wrong about that, Bill has had a team that he had complete control over, and it has not done well in a couple of years now.   If Bill couldn't turn around the fortunes of the Patriots, why would he come in and change the fortunes of another team?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 25, 2024, 02:11:22 PMI believe Bill Belichick is the GOAT.

That said, I think that the physical and mental demands on coaches are so great that it's hard to maintain peak effectiveness as you get into your late 60s and early 70s.

Even if I am wrong about that, Bill has had a team that he had complete control over, and it has not done well in a couple of years now.   If Bill couldn't turn around the fortunes of the Patriots, why would he come in and change the fortunes of another team?
Everything about those two organizations is different.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 25, 2024, 03:32:52 PMEverything about those two organizations is different.

Tim,

I am not sure what you are driving at.  Bill has near complete control in New England.  The Pats are what Bill made them to be.   How is the difference with another team (including Atlanta) relevant?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 25, 2024, 03:34:43 PMTim,

I am not sure what you are driving at.  Bill has near complete control in New England.  The Pats are what Bill made them to be.   How is the difference with another team (including Atlanta) relevant?
Just because he wasn't as successful in one situation doesn't mean he won't be successful going somewhere else.

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results." It works both ways.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

PSUBeirut

This is crazy to me.  Maybe he isn't the GOAT after all?  I mean, if he really was, would he even have to go through with these processes??  Shouldn't he have a bidding war on his hands?

Trench

I don't think age should matter one bit. Just win baby is all that matters.

Give him a call and see if he wants to take a flyer for a year as our DC

DaveBrown74

Quote from: PSUBeirut on January 25, 2024, 03:45:00 PMThis is crazy to me.  Maybe he isn't the GOAT after all?  I mean, if he really was, would he even have to go through with these processes??  Shouldn't he have a bidding war on his hands?

My only thought on this would be around the nature of his role. It has become a fairly consensus view that Belichick hasn't done the greatest job drafting in the past decade or so. Especially in very recent years. Perhaps he wants more control over the organization than teams that have openings right now are willing to offer.

I can sort of understand that. When you're used to having absolutely nobody to answer to (or even call an equal) for the better part of the last 20 years other than owner of the team, it might not be easy to just agree to work with a GM who has final say on personnel.

I have no idea if that is what the sticking point is with the Falcons (if there is one), but it's the first potential thing that comes to mind.

ozzie

If he isn't hired as a HC somewhere, I could see someone offering him a "consultant" position .
I think it would be foolish to pass up a chance to pick that brain of his.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

jgrangers2

Quote from: ozzie on January 25, 2024, 04:55:57 PMIf he isn't hired as a HC somewhere, I could see someone offering him a "consultant" position .
I think it would be foolish to pass up a chance to pick that brain of his.

I have no doubt that if he wants a job, he can get one. The question is will he want to do that.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jgrangers2 on January 25, 2024, 05:23:49 PMI have no doubt that if he wants a job, he can get one. The question is will he want to do that.

It would be awfully odd and seemingly out of character for him (as someone with a mean competitive streak) to not want to pursue Shula's record when he is right in 2-3 year striking distance.

Topshelf21

Maybe a year off would be the best thing for him regarding figuring out if he wants to continue coaching and/or the amount of control he would need to resume coaching. He might also realize there is more to life than coaching football after a year off.

He is moving into the autumn of his life and you know the quotes about how individuals on their deathbed stated they wished they had spent more time with loved ones and less time working etc etc...

A year off to rest, recuperate, and recover will not make him irrelevant. It will make him a year older however for those questioning his ability to put forth the effort needed to be successful regarding physical, mental, and emotional abilities.

londonblue

Should we be surprised that a man in his 70s coming off three bad seasons is not a hot commodity despite his earlier incredible success? I am not sure we should. Everything has a time to end.

I hope Bill can find a path to a peaceful semi-retirement with a bit of media work and a lot of family. I worry that he is one of those men who is inseparable from his job and will simply cease when it ends. His long-suffering family (coaching is a tough lifestyle) deserve a happy ending.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

katkavage

Teams that will have coaches on the hot seat in 2024 include three of the NFC East teams and maybe two in the NFC East (Jets, Buffalo). You can throw in Jacksonville, New Orleans, and Chicago as well. So Bill and Vrabel, if they don't go to either Washington and/or Seattle, will have opportunities next year.