News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Schefter: Belichick may not get a job this year

Started by DaveBrown74, January 25, 2024, 02:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

I found him quite thoughtful and articulate when he was part of the NFL Films' program in selecting the NFL Top 100 players of all time. If he takes a year off, and he would be willing to step up and do a one year stint as an analyst in the broadcast studio with CBS, he'd be literally following Parcells' steps.

The off-season hasn't begun yet so his range of possibilities are still pretty much available should other teams want to bring him on for consultant or other type of Front Office opportunities.

My sixth sense tells me taking another coaching job right now is not the right answer. I like katkavage's tale on it that next year's opportunities, plus a year of rest, will give him much better perspective, and more choices on his preferred East Coast, with which to choose from.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on January 26, 2024, 04:41:03 AMShould we be surprised that a man in his 70s coming off three bad seasons is not a hot commodity despite his earlier incredible success? I am not sure we should. Everything has a time to end.

I hope Bill can find a path to a peaceful semi-retirement with a bit of media work and a lot of family. I worry that he is one of those men who is inseparable from his job and will simply cease when it ends. His long-suffering family (coaching is a tough lifestyle) deserves a happy ending.

Besides the challenges of age (age gap between players, mental challenges, physical challenges), there are the challenges of longevity.  Bill Belichick has gone through many coaching staffs, and over the past few years, he has really struggled to put together a quality staff.  I suspect part of that is that Belichick's coaching tree has done so poorly, so the appeal of learning under Belichick is limited.  Plus, over the decades, opposing coaches have come up with counters to Bill's favorite tactics.   Coaches constantly need to reinvent themselves to counter the opposition.  That gets harder and harder to do the longer you do that and the older you get.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I shared my view on Belichick; I will share the view of Bill's friend, Mike Lombardi.

The problem for Belichick is that people currently in these team buildings are defending their desks.  There is a lot of resistance when you have a coach that a team knows will make massive and major changes to a team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE