News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Former GM Jeff Diamond on what the Giants need to do

Started by MightyGiants, January 26, 2024, 10:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Former GM Jeff Diamond did an article on the 5 teams that need the most work (of course, the Giants were on the list).   You can see JD's summary of the past year at the link, and I posted how he sees the team fixing the issues.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/5-nfc-teams-with-the-most-work-to-do-in-2024-offseason/

NEXT STEPS, POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

There's some speculation GM Joe Schoen will take a quarterback with the sixth overall pick in April and let Daboll groom him behind Jones for a year or two. I don't see the Giants giving up on Jones, who had a fine 2022 season. He went 10-7-1, including a road playoff win in Minnesota, completed 67.5 percent of his passes and had a 92.5 passer rating to rank 13th. Jones added 708 rushing yards — fourth best among quarterbacks — with seven touchdowns on the ground.

Schoen deemed Jones worthy of a four-year, $160 million ($92 million guaranteed) pre-free agency contract last March and the dead money is $69 million this year and $22 million in 2025.

So I see the Giants focused on keeping Jones and their offensive tackles healthy, further developing Neal and adding quality O-linemen in free agency (with their $37 million in cap space) and via the draft. More pass rush help via free agency would be beneficial. Safety Xavier McKinney just completed his best season (116 tackles, three interceptions) and should be a priority re-signing before he hits free agency in March.

The Giants have an extra second-round pick from trading Leonard Williams and they also could use an elite wide receiver to help Jones. That could come from free agency, the draft or the further development of recent high picks Wan'Dale Robinson (2022 second round) and speedy Jalin Hyatt (2023 third round).

Barkley's one-year, franchise-tag deal is up and the Giants should re-sign him in the range of the Jonathan Taylor contract. Taylor got an additional three years and $42 million so his deal averaged $11.6 million per year including the last year of his rookie contract.

And if there is any dysfunction on the coaching staff beyond the Daboll/Martindale issues, that needs to be cleaned up in a hurry. It's hard enough to win in the NFL when everyone is on the same page and extremely difficult if that's not the case. The Giants can return to the playoffs in 2024 if they get everything back on track.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Are there a lot of "elite" WRs in the 2nd round?  Or Diamond smoking something?

There are other things here that I am sure will be disagreed by fans.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 26, 2024, 12:26:05 PMAre there a lot of "elite" WRs in the 2nd round?  Or Diamond smoking something?

I haven't really started getting into the draft, but it appears this year's WR class should be a really good and deep one.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/2024-nfl-draft-early-top-10-wide-receivers-for-an-epic-class/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

I think the guy knows what he's talking about and his opinion is of high value to me.

I believe this draft (and off-season) will make or break Schoen's career.

It's a "cross-roads" situation. My belief is the same as Diamond's (generally).

Schoen is not likely to back down from the biggest move or his brief GM career (signing Jones).

He made the biggest bet of his GM life. As goes the bet, so goes Joe Schoen.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

katkavage

We shall see how patient Schoen is when a quarter of the season in he waits for his oft-injured, big money, mediocre QB to return to that middling form. That he has the blessing of the owner helps, the impatient fans, not so much.

Painter

Quote from: katkavage on January 26, 2024, 01:59:59 PMWe shall see how patient Schoen is when a quarter of the season in he waits for his oft-injured, big money, mediocre QB to return to that middling form. That he has the blessing of the owner helps, the impatient fans, not so much.

Never mind the "we shall see" hedge given how certain you are otherwise. Might you not want to tell us who will, not just should- whatever it takes- be the Giants Day One starting QB as soon as you could and would arrange it? No hedging in terms of availability or any other cop-out. We need a share of your certainty.

Cheers!

Bob In PA

Quote from: katkavage on January 26, 2024, 01:59:59 PMWe shall see how patient Schoen is when a quarter of the season in he waits for his oft-injured, big money, mediocre QB to return to that middling form. That he has the blessing of the owner helps, the impatient fans, not so much.
kat: Got a grin out of your description of Jones. lol  Let's both hope you're wrong about that. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

katkavage

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 27, 2024, 10:18:33 AMkat: Got a grin out of your description of Jones. lol  Let's both hope you're wrong about that. Bob
Bob, I never discount miracles

Jclayton92

Man what a horrible take.

Hope Jones becomes something in year 6 that he hasn't ever been.

Resign Barkley

Maybe get a wr

I honestly would have preferred him saying that we traded for Russell Wilson or something like that. He basically said keep doing what you've been doing the past 6 years..

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 27, 2024, 08:57:30 PMMan what a horrible take.

Hope Jones becomes something in year 6 that he hasn't ever been.

Resign Barkley

Maybe get a wr

I honestly would have preferred him saying that we traded for Russell Wilson or something like that. He basically said keep doing what you've been doing the past 6 years..

Even when he was "good".

https://twitter.com/queens_guy/status/1751262470524608847?t=EU3R94DCb7cAcLVQRQ3o3g&s=19

GloryDays

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 26, 2024, 12:26:05 PMAre there a lot of "elite" WRs in the 2nd round?  Or Diamond smoking something?

I like an under rated prospect we might be able to grab with our 3rd round pick, Georgia's sure handed, fine route runner and dangerous Yac WR LAD McCONKEY:

https://youtu.be/73IJ106cDdI

Or South Carolina's productive and dangerous pass catcher Xavier Leggette:

https://youtu.be/jNIQcqe4MRE

BluesCruz

This guys formula for redemption can be summed up in Rinse-Wash-Repeat

The very definition of insanity is to repeat the same thing over and over again and expect better results

Barkley and Jones both have to go before we can expect a turnround

Jones even more than Barkley.  As soon as we switched to DeVito and Taylor the whole team seemed reborn.  That was a clear message that Jones was the main problem.

He is a human sack dummy. Cannot complete a long pass outside the numbers nor has the pocket presence to go through his progressions.  He has a slow release and birddogs his targets then settles for the dumpoffs when he realizes the D has surrounded his obvious target

Yes he can run but that inevitably leads to injury as opponents seem happy to target him on the ground and accept the 15 yds as they did to DeVito also

Ground targeting on a QB who slides should be an automatic ejection and large fine especially when targeting the head area as was done to DeVito

In the DeVito incident the Refs did not even call a penalty- amazing
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

I think it's worth remembering that  Jeff Diamond was a long-time NFL GM until his retirement.  He even won Executive of the Year.   If you want to know how a GM views the Giants' problems and solutions, this is it. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 28, 2024, 09:33:09 AMI think it's worth remembering that  Jeff Diamond was a long-time NFL GM until his retirement.  He even won Executive of the Year.   If you want to know how a GM views the Giants' problems and solutions, this is it. 

I dont doubt his credentials
I just do not agree with his assessment

When Jones went down we became a competitive team, end of story

The Cowboys were laughing at Jones timid performance.  For once, I agree with them.  He lost his "Danny Dimes" Mojo somewhere along the way of numerous HCs and sacks.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 28, 2024, 09:33:09 AMI think it's worth remembering that  Jeff Diamond was a long-time NFL GM until his retirement.  He even won Executive of the Year.   If you want to know how a GM views the Giants' problems and solutions, this is it. 
but does he? Diamond doesn't come from the scouting community, he comes from the PR side and always leaned towards the buisness side even as an executive. I just don't think a guy that was last relevant in the 90s adds that much value to the conversation surrounding the game in 2024.

Anyone that says stick with Daniel Jones is going to get maligned and scrutinized once even the most loyal to Jones in the media side of things realized he's not good and the Giants need to move on. When other teams players openly make fun of your qb because he can't throw the ball beyond 3 yards without the defense knowing exactly what hes doing it's a problem.