News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you be happy if this was the Giants draft?

Started by MightyGiants, January 26, 2024, 10:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The Giants won those meaningless games (Woopy! Yay! All real fans rejoice!) so they eliminated their chance to ensure a bright future by solidifying the QB position.  With that reality in mind, what do you think of this PFF mock draft?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Nope. Don't like it.

We don't have a QB on the roster who can stay healthy. They can barely get the ball to the receivers they have now. And we should add another? Pass (pun intended)
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Doc16LT56

I think Nabers is a home run but will he end up like Garrett Wilson on this team.

I'll be disappointed if they wait until the fourth round for OL.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: T200 on January 26, 2024, 10:51:29 AMNope. Don't like it.

We don't have a QB on the roster who can stay healthy. They can barely get the ball to the receivers they have now. And we should add another? Pass (pun intended)
Right, and then to follow up with another WR in round 3 is bizarre. Looks like a Jerry Reese draft.

katkavage

People keep looking at these receivers. They need someone to throw the ball to them. The so called starting QB is recovering from a torn ACL in early November. He will not be ready to start the season. And if they rush him back he will get hurt again. They need a QB desperately.

MightyGiants

@T200 @katkavage

Everything I hear is that the top 3 QBs will be going 1-2-3, so I think it's a given none of them will fall to 6.  It's possible you might be able to draft Nix, Pennix, or McCarthy in the second round or trade back up to the bottom of the round one to grab them, but that's pretty much it unless you want to take a flyer on one of the lesser QBs.

So, how do you guys propose solving the QB issues this off-season?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 26, 2024, 11:20:56 AM@T200 @katkavage

Everything I hear is that the top 3 QBs will be going 1-2-3, so I think it's a given none of them will fall to 6.  It's possible you might be able to draft Nix, Pennix, or McCarthy in the second round or trade back up to the bottom of the round one to grab them, but that's pretty much it unless you want to take a flyer on one of the lesser QBs.

That's what the GM gets paid to do. If they absolutely can't get one of those three via trades or whatever, they need to sign someone, or re-sign Tyrod Taylor to play QB until Jones returns. Though if they do that, unless Taylor gets hurt, he is a better QB than Jones so taking him out for Jones will not work. They will have to sign a middling option, bite the bullet on another down year, hope both Schoen and Daboll survive, and keep looking while we fans enjoy mediocrity.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on January 26, 2024, 11:24:33 AMThat's what the GM gets paid to do. If they absolutely can't get one of those three via trades or whatever, they need to sign someone, or re-sign Tyrod Taylor to play QB until Jones returns. Though if they do that, unless Taylor gets hurt, he is a better QB than Jones so taking him out for Jones will not work. They will have to sign a middling option, bite the bullet on another down year, hope both Schoen and Daboll survive, and keep looking while we fans enjoy mediocrity.

Do you think signing Taylor (who struggles to stay healthy for a single game, much less a season) is a potential answer?   Tyrod is 34; he's at an age where players tend to become more injury-prone, not less.

At this point in time, I am not optimistic about the Giant's future going out the next few years (had Schoen traded away guys like Barkley and McKennie to ensure they were bad enough to get an elite QB {along with more draft picks}, I would be much more optimistic).  Since the Giants didn't, I really think they are in a situation where they will have to gamble with a lesser QB prospect and hope to hell they hit paydirt (while lacking the overall team quality that would help make it happen).   After two mediocre drafts and DJ's injuries, Schoen is going to need to pull off a draft for the ages for this team's fortunes to significantly improve.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

miss86

Quote from: katkavage on January 26, 2024, 11:24:33 AMThat's what the GM gets paid to do. If they absolutely can't get one of those three via trades or whatever, they need to sign someone, or re-sign Tyrod Taylor to play QB until Jones returns. Though if they do that, unless Taylor gets hurt, he is a better QB than Jones so taking him out for Jones will not work. They will have to sign a middling option, bite the bullet on another down year, hope both Schoen and Daboll survive, and keep looking while we fans enjoy mediocrity.

I really don't like this plan! LOL!  :(

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 26, 2024, 11:31:13 AMDo you think signing Taylor (who struggles to stay healthy for a single game, much less a season) is a potential answer?  Tyrod is 34; he's at an age where players tend to become more injury-prone, not less.

At this point in time, I am not optimistic about the Giant's future going out the next few years (had Schoen traded away guys like Barkley and McKennie to ensure they were bad enough to get an elite QB {along with more draft picks}, I would be much more optimistic).  Since the Giants didn't, I really think they are in a situation where they will have to gamble with a lesser QB prospect and hope to hell they hit paydirt (while lacking the overall team quality that would help make it happen).  After two mediocre drafts and DJ's injuries, Schoen is going to need to pull off a draft for the ages for this team's fortunes to significantly improve.
I agree. They put themselves in this position by the moves they made when they took over. Now it might me untenable. No, Taylor is not the answer, but he might be there only option. They will need a QB on opening day and for the first month. I do not think realistically Jones is healthy until October, at the earliest. And a healthy Jones is no great shakes also, so you are right to be pessimistic. 

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 26, 2024, 11:20:56 AM@T200 @katkavage

As @katkavage said, that's why Schoen gets paid the big bucks. He has more information at his disposal as to what options he can use to get the QB he wants. And I believe 100% that they will get a QB. Only he and his guys know what they are willing to do to make it happen. Of course, they will need a trade partner. Again, I'm sure those conversations about different scenarios are happening.

I like Tyrod, but like DJ, he can't be counted on to stay healthy. Since DJ's contract pretty much guarantees he's going to be on the roster, I don't see the value in bringing in another veteran, unless they're going to dump DeVito.

I think the QB room will be:

Jones
Rookie
DeVito

Or

Jones
Vet
Rookie

katkavage

Quote from: T200 on January 26, 2024, 11:38:25 AMAs @katkavage said, that's why Schoen gets paid the big bucks. He has more information at his disposal as to what options he can use to get the QB he wants. And I believe 100% that they will get a QB. Only he and his guys know what they are willing to do to make it happen. Of course, they will need a trade partner. Again, I'm sure those conversations about different scenarios are happening.

I like Tyrod, but like DJ, he can't be counted on to stay healthy. Since DJ's contract pretty much guarantees he's going to be on the roster, I don't see the value in bringing in another veteran, unless they're going to dump DeVito.

I think the QB room will be:

Jones
Rookie
DeVito

Or

Jones
Vet
Rookie
Then you are fine with either the rookie, a vet, or DeVito starting the first few games of the season?

T200

Quote from: katkavage on January 26, 2024, 11:44:48 AMThen you are fine with either the rookie, a vet, or DeVito starting the first few games of the season?
Yes. Jones won't be ready, in my opinion.

I only want to see a better prepared team and an improved offensive line in the first quarter of the season. Who starts at QB isn't my concern at this point. I just want Schoen and Daboll to have their guy.

jgrangers2

Chop in the 2nd and Beebe in the fourth feel like steals. As of now, I'd be surprised if either one is available in those spots. But I don't love drafting two wide receivers when we have other needs and my feeling on Mitchell in that spot would depend on who else was available. For instance, I'd jump on Chop if he was available at 39.

LennG

Personally, I hate it.

Our biggest needs right now are NOT a Wide Receiver, though we need one eventually. Our biggest needs are
QB and OL, and they are simply not addressed at all. To wait until the 4th round to get an OLman is ridiculous. Unless we had the Ravens scouting staff, anyone picked in the 4th round is a huge question mark and we don't need more question marks we need starters.

And QB, even if Jones can go, with his neck issues he is one hit away from becoming a sportscaster in a booth somewhere. Even if he goes out and burns up the league, any hit on his neck could be the last we ever see of him so how can we put all our eggs in his basket? We need a new face at QB, and that is the #1 priority.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss