News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jon Feliciano

Started by Brooklyn Dave, January 28, 2024, 10:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncannyGfan

How much does the QB making adjustments at line influence the OL performance?  It probably depends on how the defense lines up and they line up depending on the offense talent plus risk/reward variations.

There are probably a lot of factors going into the line play, I wonder what they are and what the plan is to address each independent challenge comprehensively. 

uconnjack8

Quote from: UncannyGfan on January 29, 2024, 11:50:02 AMHow much does the QB making adjustments at line influence the OL performance?  It probably depends on how the defense lines up and they line up depending on the offense talent plus risk/reward variations.

There are probably a lot of factors going into the line play, I wonder what they are and what the plan is to address each independent challenge comprehensively. 

One thing I wonder about with Jones given that the line seemed to play a little better with Taylor in the lineup, how is his snap count in terms of voice inflection?

Seems a minor point, but we definitely see some QBs that are great at getting teams to jump or at least flinch and reset and keep them guessing when the ball is snapped.

The snap count is the OLs biggest advantage on a given play (or so says Mark Schlereth) and if that is taken away, that might explain some of the jailbreaks into the backfield.

Trench

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 29, 2024, 12:06:49 PMOne thing I wonder about with Jones given that the line seemed to play a little better with Taylor in the lineup, how is his snap count in terms of voice inflection?

Seems a minor point, but we definitely see some QBs that are great at getting teams to jump or at least flinch and reset and keep them guessing when the ball is snapped.

The snap count is the OLs biggest advantage on a given play (or so says Mark Schlereth) and if that is taken away, that might explain some of the jailbreaks into the backfield.

Excellent point. This is a flaw in Jones ability as a QB. Eli was the best I ever saw at making the defense jump

AZGiantFan

The lengths people will go to to blame Jones for everything.  The OL stunk for Eli's last 5 years.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Trench

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 29, 2024, 12:52:49 PMThe lengths people will go to to blame Jones for everything.  The OL stunk for Eli's last 5 years.

Nobody is blaming jones here

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 29, 2024, 12:52:49 PMThe lengths people will go to to blame Jones for everything. 

More like the lengths people will go to excuse and divert blame elsewhere for him and for all of his futility over the years.

uconnjack8

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 29, 2024, 12:52:49 PMThe lengths people will go to to blame Jones for everything.  The OL stunk for Eli's last 5 years.

Did any of the OL that stunk during the end of Eli's career do better on other teams? 

There are 3 recent examples of guys doing better after leaving the Giants.

My question about Jones voice inflection was just that, a question.  Because I really don't know if Jones is good at that part if the game or not.  I wasnt making a statement, I was saying I don't know.

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 29, 2024, 01:02:02 PMDid any of the OL that stunk during the end of Eli's career do better on other teams? 

Flowers, Hart and Pugh.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

uconnjack8

Quote from: TDToomer on January 29, 2024, 01:46:15 PMFlowers, Hart and Pugh.

Pugh wasn't bad as a Giant, just couldn't stay on the field.  Flowers we know was better with a position switch.  Not sure Bobby Hart was much better in Cincy, but they were able to work around him.

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 29, 2024, 01:49:52 PMPugh wasn't bad as a Giant, just couldn't stay on the field.  Flowers we know was better with a position switch.  Not sure Bobby Hart was much better in Cincy, but they were able to work around him.

Oh I agree with Pugh. I liked him a lot. He was unfairly labeled injury prone, signed with AZ for less AAV than his final Giants season, and proceeded to be healthy again. As for Hart he also managed to get healthy starting 32 straight games for the Bengals and then 13/16  the following season so that says something. You leave a team that is a disaster are coached properly and carve out a productive 2nd half of your career. Even Richberg started 28/32 games after leaving the Giants before injuries ended his career.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Doc16LT56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 29, 2024, 01:49:52 PMPugh wasn't bad as a Giant, just couldn't stay on the field.  Flowers we know was better with a position switch.  Not sure Bobby Hart was much better in Cincy, but they were able to work around him.
If you go by PFF grades:

Pugh was fairly consistent across his career until the last couple years.

Weston Richburg had lower grades with the 49ers.

Bobby Hart had consistently bad grades with the exception of one decent year his third year with the Bengals.

Ereck Flowers appeared to play better at Guard but his grades didn't improve at all until his final year in the league.