News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: The Commanders

Started by Brooklyn Dave, January 29, 2024, 02:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

Do Not overlook The Commanders. It looks like Ben Johnson will be their next head coach. They have the second draft pick which will give them a potentially , and I emphasized POTENTIALLY , franchise QB and they have the most Cap money to spend in the NFL.

If the Giants do not resign him , look for the Commanders to give Barkley the contract he wants . AS you saw with the Lions , Johnson loves running backs .

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on January 29, 2024, 02:46:27 AMDo Not overlook The Commanders. It looks like Ben Johnson will be their next head coach. They have the second draft pick which will give them a potentially , and I emphasized POTENTIALLY , franchise QB and they have the most Cap money to spend in the NFL.

If the Giants do not resign him , look for the Commanders to give Barkley the contract he wants . AS you saw with the Lions , Johnson loves running backs .

He may like RBs but he doesn't necessarily like injury-prone ones. They got rid of D'Andre Swift while he was on his rookie contract and subsequently drafted a new rookie with fresher, healthier legs. Swift only had a $1.8mm cap hit this year. Is he really going to give a banged up, 27 year old, 3.9 YPC guy like Barkley the $8m a year type deal that he surely wants?

I have my doubts about that.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 29, 2024, 09:35:56 AMHe may like RBs but he doesn't necessarily like injury-prone ones. They got rid of D'Andre Swift while he was on his rookie contract and subsequently drafted a new rookie with fresher, healthier legs. Swift only had a $1.8mm cap hit this year. Is he really going to give a banged up, 27 year old, 3.9 YPC guy like Barkley the $8m a year type deal that he surely wants?

I have my doubts about that.

You might be correct , but the point of my post is not to overlook the Commanders. The Barkley thought was an after thought

Painter

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on January 29, 2024, 11:23:45 AMYou might be correct , but the point of my post is not to overlook the Commanders. The Barkley thought was an after thought

I trust that you aren't suggesting that the Giants are in a position to overlook any of the 31 others- just teasing.

In any case, whatever improvement occurs with the Commanders will be due more likely to the performance of their new QB than to that of Barkley should they decide to pay him no less than the $10 million he got from last year's tagging. And by the way, I have a feeling that it won't be long before I conclude that I'd much rather have Ben Johnson than Brian Daboll as my HC.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on January 29, 2024, 11:23:45 AMYou might be correct , but the point of my post is not to overlook the Commanders. The Barkley thought was an after thought

As a fan of one of the three or four worst teams in the NFL over the past decade, I don't overlook anyone.

spiderblue43

Ben Johnson seems primed to gather young backs to develop, not Barkley. Coms should get Drake Maye (logical choice), who can be a day 1 starter at qb, plus they have lots of cap room. Johnson probably can work out some of his flaws (doing too much..presnap reads) with his star talent to build upon.

With that cap room, they can find vet help for their OL to protect Maye and improve the D. Then add more skill talent on both sides of the ball in the draft.

Bottom line: Giants may not be beating
them much longer.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: spiderblue43 on January 29, 2024, 04:14:10 PMBen Johnson seems primed to gather young backs to develop, not Barkley. Coms should get Drake Maye (logical choice), who can be a day 1 starter at qb, plus they have lots of cap room. Johnson probably can work out some of his flaws (doing too much..presnap reads) with his star talent to build upon.

With that cap room, they can find vet help for their OL to protect Maye and improve the D. Then add more skill talent on both sides of the ball in the draft.

Bottom line: Giants may not be beating
them much longer.

They're definitely in a nice position for the above reasons. Of course, much hinges on whether the QB they pick pans out or not.