News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Keep your eyes on WR Xavier Leggette

Started by Philosophers, January 29, 2024, 10:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

This guy's catches above his chest are spectacular.  Think he will post DK Metcalf measurables and blow up the Combine.  Probably 6'3" 223 pounds + in who will run a sub 4.35 40.

The only big question about him is why all his production was just this year as a senior.  This year he had Spencer Rattler throwing to him which may have helped.  He played against good SEC CBs.  He will need work as a route runner which will probably keep him out of the first round.

Talk about size/speed to be the X

Keep an eye on him.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on January 29, 2024, 10:05:22 AMThis guy's catches above his chest are spectacular.  Think he will post DK Metcalf measurables and blow up the Combine.  Probably 6'3" 223 pounds + in who will run a sub 4.35 40.

The only big question about him is why all his production was just this year as a senior.  This year he had Spencer Rattler throwing to him which may have helped.  He played against good SEC CBs.  He will need work as a route runner which will probably keep him out of the first round.

Keep an eye on him.

He is one of my favorites already. Mocks I have seen show him going early 2nd. And good WRs tend to go higher than what the mocks say in Jan/Feb. And as you point out, he's going to get a ton of hype in the combine given his physique and gifts. My base case is I don't expect him to be on the board at 39.

Painter

If they can't get or don't take Nabers or Odunze with their first pick, they almost certainly will use their pick 39 on a WR in what seems to be a deep draft for big, fast X- types. That would include not just Leggette, but very definitely FSU's Coleman, Oregon's Franklin, and LSU's Thomas.

Cheers!

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on January 29, 2024, 10:05:22 AMThis guy's catches above his chest are spectacular.  Think he will post DK Metcalf measurables and blow up the Combine.  Probably 6'3" 223 pounds + in who will run a sub 4.35 40.

Keep an eye on him.

I'm not a big South Carolina fan but the two guys ahead of him on the depth chart in 2022 were Antwane Wells who transferred to Ole Miss, and Jalen Brooks who played for the Cowboys this past year. Perhaps it was the first time in his career that he got the reps to show what he can do. Another guy to keep an eye on is LSU receiver Brian Thomas Jr. who similarly burst onto the scene this past year with 1177 yards receiving and 17 touchdowns.

Jclayton92

Keep an eye on him.
Because South Carolina had Juice Wells in 2022 and he was the guy in 2023 until he went down with an injury the rest of the season.

Jolly Blue Giant

The top three WRs in the draft are obviously Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze. I suspect we'll pass on a WR in the first round unless Harrison is sitting there like low hanging fruit. So I've spent more time studying WRs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

I've had Xavier Leggette much higher than the consensus, and definitely higher than Xaveir Worthy, which could become an issue if some team doesn't differentiate between the two Xaviers...LOL

Anyway, if we wait until the 2nd or 3rd, I personally prefer Malachi Corley over almost all the other higher ranked receivers and am hoping the swipe Ainias Smith in the 5th or 6th if he falls that far. I like Leggette a lot, but if it came down to him or Corley, I'd grab Corley

Rankings from NFLMOCKDATABASE https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2024/consensus-big-board-2024?pos=WR

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Painter

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 29, 2024, 01:01:52 PMThe top three WRs in the draft are obviously Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze. I suspect we'll pass on a WR in the first round unless Harrison is sitting there like low hanging fruit. So I've spent more time studying WRs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

I've had Xavier Leggette much higher than the consensus, and definitely higher than Xaveir Worthy, which could become an issue if some team doesn't differentiate between the two Xaviers...LOL

Anyway, if we wait until the 2nd or 3rd, I personally prefer Malachi Corley over almost all the other higher ranked receivers and am hoping the swipe Ainias Smith in the 5th or 6th if he falls that far. I like Leggette a lot, but if it came down to him or Corley, I'd grab Corley

Rankings from NFLMOCKDATABASE https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2024/consensus-big-board-2024?pos=WR

What brought you to prefer Corley over guys like Coleman, Franklin, and Thomas, especially if targeting an X- unless you figure they'll be gone by the time the Giants pick a 2nd time? I don't know a lot about Corley but I don't recall him playing anywhere but from the slot. Nice player but I don't see him as filling a position of current need if it's not as an X-

Cheers!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Painter on January 30, 2024, 12:21:51 AMWhat brought you to prefer Corley over guys like Coleman, Franklin, and Thomas, especially if targeting an X- unless you figure they'll be gone by the time the Giants pick a 2nd time? I don't know a lot about Corley but I don't recall him playing anywhere but from the slot. Nice player but I don't see him as filling a position of current need if it's not as an X-

Cheers!

He just seems to have the "it" factor, like Puca Nacua did last year. He does all the dirty work and leads the nation in YAC and won't go down. In the 22-23 season, he got 975 yards after catch. Not the tallest, not the fastest, but does all the extra stuff from blocking to do whatever it takes for the team to win. Also one of the leading punt/kick returners. He is consistently compared to Deebo Samuel in his style of play, but to me, he's more like Puca Nacua in the "I am going to win no matter what it takes" attitude and style

My opinion doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, as Schoen has a group of experts who study every past plays by every WR (at least the top 50) in the draft. My opinion doesn't change their opinion...if it did, we would have drafted Puca last year instead of Eric Gray, as Puca was still on the board

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 30, 2024, 10:23:21 AMHe just seems to have the "it" factor, like Puca Nacua did last year. He does all the dirty work and leads the nation in YAC and won't go down. In the 22-23 season, he got 975 yards after catch. Not the tallest, not the fastest, but does all the extra stuff from blocking to do whatever it takes for the team to win. Also one of the leading punt/kick returners. He is consistently compared to Deebo Samuel in his style of play, but to me, he's more like Puca Nacua in the "I am going to win no matter what it takes" attitude and style

My opinion doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, as Schoen has a group of experts who study every past plays by every WR (at least the top 50) in the draft. My opinion doesn't change their opinion...if it did, we would have drafted Puca last year instead of Eric Gray, as Puca was still on the board

If I understand correctly, you must have been miffed that no one had anticipated that Puka Nacua, having lasted until the Rams Round 5 (177) pick would have proved to be capable of setting rookie receiving records or anything of the sort, not to suggest that you had it figured. On the other hand, your comment about the Giants having taken Eric Gray- a Running Back- 5 slots earlier, whether or not an implied criticism is irrelevant.

All we do know for sure is that as the Draft progresses, uncertainty increases and the odds for success decreases until luck becomes its chief residue.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Painter on January 30, 2024, 03:49:31 PMIf I understand correctly, you must have been miffed that no one had anticipated that Puka Nacua, having lasted until the Rams Round 5 (177) pick would have proved to be capable of setting rookie receiving records or anything of the sort, not to suggest that you had it figured. On the other hand, your comment about the Giants having taken Eric Gray- a Running Back- 5 slots earlier, whether or not an implied criticism is irrelevant.

All we do know for sure is that as the Draft progresses, uncertainty increases and the odds for success decreases until luck becomes its chief residue.

I can't argue with your opinion. Puca was not rated highly last year and the "experts" had him down as a late round pick or even an UDFA. If you dig back through the archives, I wrote numerous posts begging people to take a hard look at Puca Nacua and constantly posted highlights, his stats, and insider stories about his mentality in a game...and that winner's mentality is what I see in Corley...not that it matters, just like it matters not that I pushed for Nacua last year. I also pushed for LB Ivan Pace Jr. last year who I thought was the best LB in the draft after Drew Sanders and Jack Campbell, and he didn't even get drafted, yet has excelled with the Vikings as one of the top defensive players on the team and won defensive player of the week a couple times. I argued incessantly that he was worthy of a day two pick, and my jaw was left dropped once the draft was over and no one had grabbed him. His only "blemish" was that he was only 5'10" and ran a 4.62..."too short" and "too slow" (6'2" and 4.45+or- was ideal) was the word on the street from the "pros". I called him a "destroyer", a Tasmanian Devil like the cartoon character...like a bowling ball knocking down pins with an aggressive nature the defies his size. But it was his winner's mentality that stuck out to me the most. Plenty of writers admitted that if he was two or three inches taller, he'd have been the first LB off the board

Not tooting my own horn because I've been wrong many more times than I've been right. Last year I was right about Nacua and Pace. Maybe I'm right about Corley this year, maybe not. He just has that winner's mentality IMO, that isn't measurable. I think whatever team gets him is going to love him. I also think that Ainias Smith and Devontez Walker are two other WRs that will be big stories next season, but who knows? This year's receiver class is loaded to the gills. My other man crush that will be available day three is TE Brevyn Spann-Ford, but again...I'm just a fan and do not have the kind of tools to adequately evaluate players entering the NFL

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE