News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The HORRIBLE track record of trading into the top 5 to draft a QB

Started by MightyGiants, January 30, 2024, 11:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 31, 2024, 02:09:49 PMI was more referring to the trade up not necessarily the Qb. I'd take Daniels over Williams and Maye.

I was all for drafting a QB because he was available.  Thanks to those meaningless late-season wins, likely the only way they get one of the 3 elite QBs is to give up a king's ransom (assuming a team would even trade), and as history shows, those trades don't go well.  Sadly, the QBs at the Senior Bowl didn't step up.  So it looks like there may not be a way for the Giants to acquire a franchise QB in the draft.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

As much as I want a QB of the future i dont like the idea of trading high draft including future one for the possibility of getting a Trubisky in return... makes me nervous

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 31, 2024, 02:12:09 PMIt's the worst supporting cast only between have the worst Qb play.

Top 5 RB
Top 5 TE
Top 15 wr
Two burners behind that wr

Not the worst supporting cast, the worst qb play in the league which we need to cchange or we won't ever get better.

None of those things are accurate. Barkley is nowhere close to being a top 5 RB any longer. Not even top 10. And it has nothing to do with QB play.

Waller a top 5 TE? Laughable. He's not in the same stratosphere as Kittle, Hock, Kelce, Laporta, Andrews. And he's not even in the second tier with Njoku, Engram, McBride. Hell, Tyler Conklin suffered through some of the worst QB play in history and still put up more catches and yards than Waller.

The idea this team is loaded with talent and everything is DJ's fault is a joke.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 31, 2024, 02:12:09 PMIt's the worst supporting cast only between have the worst Qb play.

Top 5 RB
Top 5 TE
Top 15 wr
Two burners behind that wr

Not the worst supporting cast, the worst qb play in the league which we need to cchange or we won't ever get better.

What metric are you using for those rankings?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 31, 2024, 03:21:20 PMNone of those things are accurate. Barkley is nowhere close to being a top 5 RB any longer. Not even top 10. And it has nothing to do with QB play.

Waller a top 5 TE? Laughable. He's not in the same stratosphere as Kittle, Hock, Kelce, Laporta, Andrews. And he's not even in the second tier with Njoku, Engram, McBride. Hell, Tyler Conklin suffered through some of the worst QB play in history and still put up more catches and yards than Waller.

The idea this team is loaded with talent and everything is DJ's fault is a joke.
When we traded for Waller this board and the media unanimously praised the move as us getting a top 5 TE... So now he's not? He can't be both a top 5 TE and a horrible one at the same time. Or was he just elite with Derek Carr..

Barkley led the league in almost every major stat for 3/4ths of 2022, so one year later he's not even in the top 10?

All I was saying is that the skills aren't that bad, you don't think Barkley would have produced more if we had a Qb that actually got that ball to Wrs? You don't think Waller would have not been more successful if he had a QB to target him? It's naive to think that all our skills wouldn't be significantly better under a better Qb.

I didn't say loaded, but you acted like it was the bottom of the barrel which it isn't. I also didn't mention Jones, you did. I was talking about the skills as a whole.

I mean look at the jump in the skills production from Jones/Devito to Taylor, to not think a QB1 wouldn't do wonders for what we have currently is well...

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 31, 2024, 03:22:38 PMWhat metric are you using for those rankings?
Waller was lauded by this whole board in the offseason as a top 5 TE and Barkley was the best back in football for most of 2022. With how volatile the offense as a whole was this season I was basing that off of 2022, and even if you think they have regressed in 2023 we still don't have the worst skills in the league.

Most ranking services have us 18-20 skill group wise and I would say that is accurate. Not elite, or maybe even great, but not horrible either.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 31, 2024, 05:44:53 PMWaller was lauded by this whole board in the offseason as a top 5 TE and Barkley was the best back in football for most of 2022. With how volatile the offense as a whole was this season I was basing that off of 2022, and even if you think they have regressed in 2023 we still don't have the worst skills in the league.

Most ranking services have us 18-20 skill group wise and I would say that is accurate. Not elite, or maybe even great, but not horrible either.

Waller was hurt before the opening game and was never the same in the few games he played
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 31, 2024, 05:42:02 PMWhen we traded for Waller this board and the media unanimously praised the move as us getting a top 5 TE... So now he's not? He can't be both a top 5 TE and a horrible one at the same time. Or was he just elite with Derek Carr..

So you're saying Waller is better than one of Kittle, Hock, Kelce, Laporta, or Andrews? I don't see how anyone could possibly argue that. Again, it's not even close.

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 31, 2024, 05:42:02 PMI didn't say loaded, but you acted like it was the bottom of the barrel which it isn't. I also didn't mention Jones, you did. I was talking about the skills as a whole.

They were literally ranked as dead last in the league. I'd say that's bottom of the barrel.