News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Former GM Bill Polian on the Senior Bowl

Started by MightyGiants, February 01, 2024, 06:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

He had two comments I found interesting

1)  In the Senior Bowl he wanted to see prospects improve as the practices went on and play their best in the game

2)  He would only boost a player from an all-star game he would never lower a prospect's grade because of how they did.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Former GM Randy Mueller expressed a similar view-  positives can get a player re-examined but weak performances tend not to move the needle

Here is the article of you subscribe to the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/5245472/2024/02/02/senior-bowl-nfl-draft-process/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Its interesting that this in general can only affect the players in a positive way.  I know there is a certain amount of guys that will practice but leave prior to the game to not risk injuries.  Can't say I blame them. 

Ed Vette

The interviews are the important factor that flys under the radar.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

What is said is perfectly reasonable and not unexpected but it hardly makes the Draft any less unpredictable for anyone. Whether or not some of these former GMs are more or less astute than their current counterparts will be noted more in terms of surprises, both good and bad, than of overall accuracy. That's just how it works post-Draft.

There is, of course, one big difference in this years and future SENIOR, Shrine, and Legacy Bowls as the now include participation by qualified Underclassmen. Whether that will make much or any difference in the chorus of Yay! Boo! and Huh? we will hear from Detroit, April 25-27 is anyone's guess including our own.

Cheers!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Painter on February 02, 2024, 10:47:59 AMWhat is said is perfectly reasonable and not unexpected but it hardly makes the Draft any less unpredictable for anyone. Whether or not some of these former GMs are more or less astute than their current counterparts will be noted more in terms of surprises, both good and bad, than of overall accuracy. That's just how it works post-Draft.

There is, of course, one big difference in this years and future SENIOR, Shrine, and Legacy Bowls as the now include participation by qualified Underclassmen. Whether that will make much or any difference in the chorus of Yay! Boo! and Huh? we will hear from Detroit, April 25-27 is anyone's guess including our own.

Cheers!

Wouldn't it be nice if all the QBs in this year's class were there for a comparison? Let's hope they all make the Combine.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 02, 2024, 10:05:02 AMThe interviews are the important factor that flys under the radar.

I think beyond the interviews, the coaches working with them in practice.  That's not to say the interviews are not a factor as well, they definitely are. The coaches at the Senior Bowl get a really good candid feel for the players.  They seem them in the environment that they are most comfortable and just being themselves. 

Painter

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 02, 2024, 11:58:10 AMI think beyond the interviews, the coaches working with them in practice.  That's not to say the interviews are not a factor as well, they definitely are. The coaches at the Senior Bowl get a really good candid feel for the players.  They seem them in the environment that they are most comfortable and just being themselves. 

All of that stuff matters yet, as we know all too well, when Draft Day(s) roll around even the best of them are bellied up to a craps table where chance decides more often than not.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on February 02, 2024, 12:31:14 PMAll of that stuff matters yet, as we know all too well, when Draft Day(s) roll around even the best of them are bellied up to a craps table where chance decides more often than not.

Cheers!

Bill Polian has said that fans and draft pundits (and even himself these days) know only 10% of what teams know about prospects.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 02, 2024, 12:35:13 PMBill Polian has said that fans and draft pundits (and even himself these days) know only 10% of what teams know about prospects.

Yeah! sure okay, but in the end, how does that affect the good, the bad, and always uncertain outcomes, and our altogether unpredictable hoorays!, boos! and huhs, post-Draft? That sure ain't obvious unless we feel that chance is really what it's all about and always will be.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for those guys given the challenges they face, and the efforts they make in trying to get it right more often than not.

Cheers!