News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Shane Bowen our new DC

Started by andrew_nyGiants, February 05, 2024, 05:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 05, 2024, 07:04:07 PMI think he is an adequate hire . Nothing to get excited about but nothing to be a downer about . I was hoping for Brandon Daly . Anyone who has worked under Steve Spagnola in my mind would be a big plus

I looked at comments on a Titan forum.  They don't dislike the guy, but there wasn't a lot of love for him either.  As you say, he is an adequate hire.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I really have no idea. I don't think it's really a complete analysis to look at the Titans' pass D rankings while he was there. For me it's more about performance relative to the talent he had to work with. Outside of one or two players (who weren't in the secondary) I feel like the Titans' D has been nowhere for a long time from a talent perspective. That's not really this guy's fault. He's a coach, not a scout or front office guy.

I feel like the Giants had a comprehensive process around this hire. I get that he may not have been their number one choice, but there were tons of other possibilities out there, so it's not like they put no thought or time into this. I have no reason to not want to give this guy a fair chance before I judge him.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 05, 2024, 07:23:03 PMI really have no idea. I don't think it's really a complete analysis to look at the Titans' pass D rankings while he was there. For me it's more about performance relative to the talent he had to work with. Outside of one or two players (who weren't in the secondary) I feel like the Titans' D has been nowhere for a long time from a talent perspective. That's not really this guy's fault. He's a coach, not a scout or front office guy.

I feel like the Giants had a comprehensive process around this hire. I get that he may not have been their number one choice, but there were tons of other possibilities out there, so it's not like they put no thought or time into this. I have no reason to not want to give this guy a fair chance before I judge him.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

coggs

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Until the meddling stops I don't see a true turn for the better.

Talent like Schoen is wasted when it has to adhere to constant "suggestion" "innuendo" and "opinion".

This coaching staff seems to have lost its nerve from its rookie season to the second and the unexpected turnover this offseason does not speak well. "Attitude reflects leadership"...there seems to be a lot of "getting mine" among the staff.

We used words like "rudderless" under Joe Judge. Is the leadership that much better today.

We need TRUE LEADERSHIP at the top of the football operation. Until then, this will continue to circle the drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Ed Vette

So he hired a compliant subordinate. A LB Coach whose Defenses struggled in Pass Defense in a Passing League. Why didn't they just hire Mike Vrabel?

I get the uneasiness in the room so I'll be the critic. But I'll keep an open mind.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 05, 2024, 08:53:09 PMSo he hired a compliant subordinate. A LB Coach whose Defenses struggled in Pass Defense in a Passing League. Why didn't they just hire Mike Vrabel?

I get the uneasiness in the room so I'll be the critic. But I'll keep an open mind.

Maybe I am incorrect , but wasn't he the DC not the LB coach? I guess Daboll , who I understand does the hiring , wanted someone who was already a DC . If that is the case why didn't he hire Leslie Frasier? I still wanted Brandon Daly .

Ed Vette

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 05, 2024, 09:55:49 PMMaybe I am incorrect , but wasn't he the DC not the LB coach? I guess Daboll , who I understand does the hiring , wanted someone who was already a DC . If that is the case why didn't he hire Leslie Frasier? I still wanted Brandon Daly .
Yes, a DC whose experience was as a LB Coach, micromanaged by Vrabel. At least the Run Defense will be shored up.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giant Obsession

Our new DC is NOT a threat for promotion around midseason when the pressure is on for a change.

Safe, milquetoast hire, not a surprise at all.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

brownelvis54

Pat Traina
The KING is in the building

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 05, 2024, 10:21:53 PMYes, a DC whose experience was as a LB Coach, micromanaged by Vrabel. At least the Run Defense will be shored up.

What evidence is there that Vrabel micromanaged him? I don't know where this notion that Vrabel himself is/was a defensive guru comes from. His sole season as a defensive play caller saw his Texans defense as league worst in scoring. Maybe Bowen was an alright coordinator in spite of Vrabel? If Vrabel was such a a great coach (with a barely .500 career record) why is he unemployed?

To be clear, I don't really care about the Bowen hire. I think the Giants played it relatively safe. But you could have said the same thing about the Wink hire and now people are bemoaning his departure. Simple facts are Bowen has piloted top defenses in the past. Quite possible he fails, but I don't get the reckless negativity.

MightyGiants

I listened to a few podcasts this morning.  Pat Traina interviewed a beat reporter for the Titans, and Nick and Dan went over the Xs and Os.   Some thoughts/points

1)  He's young, 37, with room to grow and improve

2)  He ran a bend but don't break defense that struggled between the 20s but did well in the red zone

3)  With the Titans he gave his DBs too much freedom

4)  He had Jim Schwartz as a consultant when he was in Tenessee. That's a pretty good DC to learn from

5)  With Schartz and Vabrel overseeing him, we don't know what he will do now that he is free to run his own defense as the true top man

6) He is likely to bring his own outside LB coach, Ryan Crow, to the team.  Crow did a pretty good job developing edge talent

7) He was described by the beat reporter as a good but not a great coach

8) From all I heard he reminds me of Patrick Graham
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gman329

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 06, 2024, 08:20:22 AMI listened to a few podcasts this morning.  Pat Traina interviewed a beat reporter for the Titans, and Nick and Dan went over the Xs and Os.   Some thoughts/points

1)  He's young, 37, with room to grow and improve

2)  He ran a bend but don't break defense that struggled between the 20s but did well in the red zone

3)  With the Titans he gave his DBs too much freedom

4)  He had Jim Schwartz as a consultant when he was in Tenessee. That's a pretty good DC to learn from

5)  With Schartz and Vabrel overseeing him, we don't know what he will do now that he is free to run his own defense as the true top man

6) He is likely to bring his own outside LB coach, Ryan Crow, to the team.  Crow did a pretty good job developing edge talent

7) He was described by the beat reporter as a good but not a great coach

8) From all I heard he reminds me of Patrick Graham

I involuntarily cringed and groaned when I hit this one.  "Bend but don't break" is right up there with "prevent" in my list of things I hate.  DBs giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 7 and we spend all year hoping to "hold them to three".  Great.