News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Shane Bowen our new DC

Started by andrew_nyGiants, February 05, 2024, 05:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gman329 on February 06, 2024, 08:40:30 AMI involuntarily cringed and groaned when I hit this one.  "Bend but don't break" is right up there with "prevent" in my list of things I hate.  DBs giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 7 and we spend all year hoping to "hold them to three".  Great.

That is what I heard from Pat's guest and fans on a Titans forum.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on February 06, 2024, 12:53:44 AMWhat evidence is there that Vrabel micromanaged him? I don't know where this notion that Vrabel himself is/was a defensive guru comes from. His sole season as a defensive play caller saw his Texans defense as league worst in scoring. Maybe Bowen was an alright coordinator in spite of Vrabel? If Vrabel was such a a great coach (with a barely .500 career record) why is he unemployed?

To be clear, I don't really care about the Bowen hire. I think the Giants played it relatively safe. But you could have said the same thing about the Wink hire and now people are bemoaning his departure. Simple facts are Bowen has piloted top defenses in the past. Quite possible he fails, but I don't get the reckless negativity.
I listened to a few podcasts this morning.  Pat Traina interviewed a beat reporter for the Titans, and Nick and Dan went over the Xs and Os.   Some thoughts/points

1)  He's young, 37, with room to grow and improve

2)  He ran a bend but don't break defense that struggled between the 20s but did well in the red zone

3)  With the Titans he gave his DBs too much freedom

4)  He had Jim Schwartz as a consultant when he was in Tenessee. That's a pretty good DC to learn from

5)  With Schartz and Vabrel overseeing him, we don't know what he will do now that he is free to run his own defense as the true top man

6) He is likely to bring his own outside LB coach, Ryan Crow, to the team.  Crow did a pretty good job developing edge talent

7) He was described by the beat reporter as a good but not a great coach

8) From all I heard he reminds me of Patrick Graham
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on February 06, 2024, 12:53:44 AMWhat evidence is there that Vrabel micromanaged him? I don't know where this notion that Vrabel himself is/was a defensive guru comes from. His sole season as a defensive play caller saw his Texans defense as league worst in scoring. Maybe Bowen was an alright coordinator in spite of Vrabel? If Vrabel was such a a great coach (with a barely .500 career record) why is he unemployed?

To be clear, I don't really care about the Bowen hire. I think the Giants played it relatively safe. But you could have said the same thing about the Wink hire and now people are bemoaning his departure. Simple facts are Bowen has piloted top defenses in the past. Quite possible he fails, but I don't get the reckless negativity.

In 2020 Vabrel didn't even have a coach with the defensive coordinator title.   Bowen got the title the next season, but that seems like a strong indicator that Vabrel was very involved with running the defense.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

Bowen does look more like Graham than Martindale.

The pluses for us are he continues a base 3-man front. He runs lots of nickel utilising three safeties (McKinney and Simmons might be higher priority to keep now?). He is very good at getting Edge guys against C/G using twists/stunts/loops and Titans were mid league on sacks. He always fields a good run D.

The things we will struggle with as fans is little blitzing, predominantly zone concepts and per their fans annoyingly passive pass D forcing few turnovers but he did not have a bunch of talent at his disposal so that might be more forced than preferred.

You can over simplify and say his D strengths are Wink's weaknesses and vice versa suggesting strongly to me that Daboll's issues with Wink went well beyond personality.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

A point I saw on Twitter.   Cowden used to work in the Titan' front office until 2022 and now works for the Giants.   That gave the Giants some insights into their new DC and should give Schoen a headstart on the types of players Bowen likes.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I've been reading a couple of the Titans' message boards. Nobody was happy with this guy. It ranged from he's just ok to he needs to be fired. Complaints about third down Defense, Secondary coverage, and lack of adjustment during a game. They say the Defense was best when Schwartz was there overseeing him. Nobody was sorry to see him go.

He looks to be an inexperienced Pat Graham who needed support. Bend don't Break. Vegetable Lasagna.

Now he's on his own. The only support he will get from Daboll will be encouragement at the start until frustration kicks in and then the same 'ol Daboll. So this is a swim or sink situation.

Seems to me that Daboll strayed away from a former HC or experienced Veteran like Vic Fangio. Is it because he doesn't want another loose-cannon situation? Regardless, Although the Eagles brought in Fangio as a consultant in 2022, I don't see that happening here.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

So what kind of defensive players will we need to add to make Bowen's 3-4 effective? Since he blitzes less and wants his DL/edge olayers to generate the rush, U think we will need a good 3 tech DT who can win at LOS and rush as well as stop the run.  Believe we may also need to find another LB.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on February 06, 2024, 10:34:41 AMSo what kind of defensive players will we need to add to make Bowen's 3-4 effective? Since he blitzes less and wants his DL/edge olayers to generate the rush, U think we will need a good 3 tech DT who can win at LOS and rush as well as stop the run.  Believe we may also need to find another LB.
Another edge rusher for sure along with that DE.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on February 06, 2024, 10:34:41 AMSo what kind of defensive players will we need to add to make Bowen's 3-4 effective? Since he blitzes less and wants his DL/edge olayers to generate the rush, U think we will need a good 3 tech DT who can win at LOS and rush as well as stop the run.  Believe we may also need to find another LB.

It's tough to say for certain because we don't fully know what he will do on his own.  However, the Giants will need to bolster their safeties (and, to a lesser extent, their CBs) because he ran a lot of nickel and dime with the Titans.   The DBs will need to be strong run defenders and be able to handle man and zone.  The blitzing ability of LBs and DBs will become less important.  His edge rushers are likely to be lined up wider and asked to run the arc so you want edge rushers with that talent. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 06, 2024, 09:42:14 AMA point I saw on Twitter.  Cowden used to work in the Titan' front office until 2022 and now works for the Giants.  That gave the Giants some insights into their new DC and should give Schoen a headstart on the types of players Bowen likes.
I think you could have carried your point to a different and maybe better conclusion.  Having Cowden on staff and hiring Bowen gives me alot more confidence than what a beat writer on a podcast or a random fan.

Also, this continued harping on the bend dont break defense really overlooks what good teans are trying to accomplish which is winning the game.  In todays passing NFL, holding a team to a FG is considered a win by a defense.  Its one of the reasons, why Belichick is still considered a defensive guru around the league.

Philosophers

Can Isaiah Simmons be an effective edge pass ruaher from 9 tech spot given how fast he is?

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on February 06, 2024, 10:50:02 AMCan Isaiah Simmons be an effective edge pass ruaher from 9 tech spot given how fast he is?
That's interesting. I don't believe he was ever put at that position in AZ. His inability to shed blocks would seem to be a hindrance. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on February 06, 2024, 10:50:02 AMCan Isaiah Simmons be an effective edge pass ruaher from 9 tech spot given how fast he is?

He might also be a good safety option when they go nickel or dime packages
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 06, 2024, 09:26:35 AMIn 2020 Vabrel didn't even have a coach with the defensive coordinator title.   Bowen got the title the next season, but that seems like a strong indicator that Vabrel was very involved with running the defense.

In the 2020 season without a DC, the Titans ranked 24th in scoring. The next season with Bowen as DC, 6th. If anything, there's a correlation between Vrabel helming defenses and underperformance. So I'm still not convinced that failing to get him is a miss or that Bowen is a bad hire. Milquetoast? Sure. But 2 months ago no one knew Dennard Wilson's name, and now failing to secure him is a most lamentable tragedy. I just am not going to get bent out of shape about most of this stuff when Bowen ticks most boxes... except "exciting," apparently.

brownelvis54

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 06, 2024, 08:20:22 AMI listened to a few podcasts this morning.  Pat Traina interviewed a beat reporter for the Titans, and Nick and Dan went over the Xs and Os.   Some thoughts/points

1)  He's young, 37, with room to grow and improve

2)  He ran a bend but don't break defense that struggled between the 20s but did well in the red zone

3)  With the Titans he gave his DBs too much freedom

4)  He had Jim Schwartz as a consultant when he was in Tenessee. That's a pretty good DC to learn from

5)  With Schartz and Vabrel overseeing him, we don't know what he will do now that he is free to run his own defense as the true top man

6) He is likely to bring his own outside LB coach, Ryan Crow, to the team.  Crow did a pretty good job developing edge talent

7) He was described by the beat reporter as a good but not a great coach

8) From all I heard he reminds me of Patrick Graham

For those that want to see what Rich was listening to, the video is on page 2
The KING is in the building