News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Shane Bowen our new DC

Started by andrew_nyGiants, February 05, 2024, 05:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on February 06, 2024, 11:50:04 AMIn the 2020 season without a DC, the Titans ranked 24th in scoring. The next season with Bowen as DC, 6th. If anything, there's a correlation between Vrabel helming defenses and underperformance. So I'm still not convinced that failing to get him is a miss or that Bowen is a bad hire. Milquetoast? Sure. But 2 months ago no one knew Dennard Wilson's name, and now failing to secure him is a most lamentable tragedy. I just am not going to get bent out of shape about most of this stuff when Bowen ticks most boxes... except "exciting," apparently.

My thought on this hire, is that we are in the "better to be lucky than good" situation.  If it was about NYG correctly identifying and acquiring what they believe to be the best coaching talent, this isn't it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Hiring all these Tennessee guys makes it really easy to transition to Vrabel if Daboll can't learn to play well with others.

killarich

Quote from: Gman329 on February 06, 2024, 08:40:30 AMI involuntarily cringed and groaned when I hit this one.  "Bend but don't break" is right up there with "prevent" in my list of things I hate.  DBs giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 7 and we spend all year hoping to "hold them to three".  Great.

This is in essence the Graham philosophy

The dude was totally content at the end of the half giving up 3 points no matter what the score was .... We could be down 7 he's fine giving the 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 7 to put us down 10 Ala 2 scores

Or we could be up 3 points and he was fine going into the half tied

I really hope Bowen is not Graham 2.0 ....i hate bend don't break ....but as long he doesn't have the loser mentality of bending all the way and giving up 3 is considered a win

Bowen if you call a soft game just make sure your ultimate goal is to stop the team from scoring ... don't do that 3 point bs

People will bring up that sometimes Grahams defense didn't give up a ton of points .... But it was obvious because the opposite team knew Grahams philosophy... they took what they could get and actually used it to their advantage

Ed Vette

I don't think it's fair to Patrick Graham to compare Bowen to him. At least not yet. Graham had a good 2020 season in a Covid year. He tailed off in 2021. Still he had slightly better seasons than Wink has as far as ranking in points and yards allowed.

The best Defense since 2004 has been Spags 2016 season where Gettleman spent 200 million in FA's who imploded the following season.

If Bowen has good players, I would expect his results to be no worse than Winks 2023 rankings. Wink was no miracle worker.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

This guy certainly doesn't excite me at all after reading all this.

Most concerning is - will he make Thibs better?....without that we have a long long way to go before we can expect a top D

files58

We could have Atilla the Hun as DC yet it won't matter if players tackle like tinkerbell. The state of tackling on the Giants is horrendous. From the shoulders on down I want the opposing offensive playmakers to think they've been hit by a semi. I don't care if we get flagged all the way down the field. Hit hard, clean, and INTIMIDATE.

MightyGiants

Art Stapleton has a pretty good podcast on Shane.  He interviews two Titans beat reporters

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5WvhyVPdD0Utaz1b5eJqyb?si=c095a82b445a47a9
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Does the personnel match what he likes to do?  Some of our CBs for example,  are well suited for man coverage, is Bowen mainly play zone?

I have no idea,  just wondering if they will need to jettison some players that don't fit the "system". 

TDToomer

Quote from: files58 on February 07, 2024, 11:09:36 AMWe could have Atilla the Hun as DC yet it won't matter if players tackle like tinkerbell. The state of tackling on the Giants is horrendous. From the shoulders on down I want the opposing offensive playmakers to think they've been hit by a semi. I don't care if we get flagged all the way down the field. Hit hard, clean, and INTIMIDATE.

Agree 100% and I asked if it was coaching of the players just suck at tackling. Adoree seemed to be alergic to open field tackling and just prayed he could push the ball carrier out of bounds. Nukea of the Rams completely exposed his flawed technique. Hopefully Bowen fixes this.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs