News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Has the NFL finally Jumped the shark?!

Started by andrew_nyGiants, February 11, 2024, 02:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Super Bowl Sunday...there was a time that no matter who was playing, I was glued to the television for the "up to two and a half" hours of pre-game coverage.
The type of coverage that was either about X's & O's, feel good stories about the participating coaches and players, or the city hosting the game.

When the game started it was PURE FOOTBALL..no skirts on Quarterbacks, no quick whistles, no selective replay, and no side shows.

Has the NFL under Roger Goodell and his marketing machine finally jumped the shark?

I tuned in to my NFL app about 25 minutes ago only to hear Rich Eisen say "we'll be back with our 6TH HOUR  of coverage" REALLY?!! The game starts at 6:30pm...at 2pm they're starting their 6th which means by kick-off pre game will have been 10.5 hours of coverage. WHY?!

For that matter, why have we gone from looking forward to Sunday afternoons, with the occasional Holiday schedule of Thanksgiving Thursdays, Monday nights, and a Saturday schedule post CFB and into the playoffs...on network TV and select cable channels....to all of the above PLUS Sunday nights, double headers on Monday nights, and Thursday nights...adding streaming services to join in the cash raking?!!!

Is nothing sacred, Roger?!! Doesnt the league,and you have enough $$$$?!!

Make no mistake, I LOVE THE NFL. I was born in the same place (Canton, OH) as the NFL...it's been in my blood since I'm 8 years old!! I moved to NYC in part because the team that I've loved since that age and followed in the newspaper...yes the newspaper since there was no ESPN or MSG in 1970. I bleed Giants BLUE and that will never change.

But if I'm being honest, the league has lost its edge, its true excitement...the thing that made it popular...its PURITY. The NFL used to be all about football.

Today's NFL? It just feels like anything BUT pure football. HAS IT JUMPED THE SHARK?? For the 1st time as a fan, I wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

kartanoman

What's up, Andrew?

Paralysis from overanalysis, you betcha!

I don't even watch it anymore. Even as far back as the last Giants' Super Bowl, I've stopped watching all of that because it's mostly hot air and, frankly, who cares at this point? Put the game on and let's go!

Back when we were much younger, I used to stay up all night and watch the ESPN marathon of NFL Films Super Bowl highlights from I to the year before the current. They actually had the marathon last weekend so I recorded them and played them back during the week. Heck, I've got these things on DVD from decades ago and why I still record them I don't really know (force of habit?).

But the whole NFL model of shoving all this information up your nose is beyond overkill and, as I've gotten older, I just leave the TV off until kickoff. Nuts to Goodell and his Corporate Sponsors!

Enjoy the game tonight!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

jimc

I'm with you! The change in the game since I started watching is crazy.  Gone from a sport to almost total glitz entertainment. But, that's what the new fans want. Today will be the Taylor Swift show. The NFL will enjoy thousands and thousands of new viewers that they didn't have to spend one penny to market. Just viewing to get a glimpse of Swift. Occasionally, we may get a glimpse of football. There will be sooooo many shots of Swift you'll think you're at a concert.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

TDToomer

Rich Eisen works for the NFL network who cover the NFL 24 hours a day. What do you expect them to show 6 hours before the biggest game of the year? Horseback riding?

The CBS special on the NFL today from 75-90 was cool to watch.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on February 11, 2024, 04:21:48 PMRich Eisen works for the NFL network who cover the NFL 24 hours a day. What do you expect them to show 6 hours before the biggest game of the year? Horseback riding?

The CBS special on the NFL today from 75-90 was cool to watch.
As usual you cherry pick my points to undermine my overall point.

But the answer to what would I expect: How about prior SB  seasons up until say 3 hours before kick off. You know FOOTBALL programming.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Has the NFL jumped the shark? I would say definitely not, given all signs indicate that this game is highly likely to be the most viewed Super Bowl of all time. I have read that might even challenge the 1969 Apollo Moon Landing at 150mm for most watched television event of all time. Number two was last year's Super Bowl at 115mm.

To me, a true jumping of the shark means the majority of people lose interest, not just a small contingent of people. Clearly the NFL has never been bigger than it is right now, and it only seems to be expanding further at a breakneck pace.

MagicRat

I think on one level, yes, the shark has been jumped.
But I guess as long as there is a sports fan on the planet ain't invested some of their personal disposable in the game, there's still potential for growth.
This year it's the Swifties.....next year, who knows?
Smell my cheese you mother!

brownelvis54

I just wish the Superbowl was on Saturday
The KING is in the building

TDToomer

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 11, 2024, 05:36:15 PMI just wish the Superbowl was on Saturday

LOL why? It's called Super Bowl Sunday.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Philosophers

Sorry but what does "jump the shark" mean?

TDToomer

TDToomer

Quote from: Philosophers on February 11, 2024, 08:43:15 PMThanks.  Never heard of it.

The whole irony of its origins is that Happy Days was still the #1 show on TV after that episode and lasted another 4-5 seasons. If there is one TV show where there is much debate about when it Jumped The Shark it seems to be Dexter.

LennG

If I read Andrew correctly, I think he was more referring to the overexposure of football, rather than the pure game itself. I also used to watch a lot of the pre-game hype, not only for SB Sunday but even during the regular season. I haven't watched a pre-game show in maybe 5 years now. I hate all those talking heads pretending to know football when they are really entertainers. Even our own Michael Strahan has moved on. The only person I would like to listen to would be Coach Cowher but in order to hear him I would have to listen to 6 others, and that is now a no-no.

As far as Jumping the Shark, the NFL is so far from that it really isn't worth discussing. Yes, it is over-saturated but the ratings are still solid and with that young lady who the camera can't resist showing, more and more younger fans will take over watching.
We here, I would consider us 'hardcore' fans and reject all the silliness that young lady brings. Will her fans who now will watch, really get the game of football, or just be fair-weather fans? We hardcore fans reject all the nonsense and just want the game, even if we have to watch in silence, but we are now the minority, so watch we will and hopefully enjoy the product.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

andrew_nyGiants

Lenn you make some great points.

My reference to "jumping the shark" was as it appeals to us dinosaurs who are pure football junkies.

The appeal to the masses is fine for the financial gain of the league, but the way they attract IMHO does very little to motivate we hard core fans...in that respect I feel like they've jumped the shark.

My love for the league is nowhere near what it was from age 10 even into my 40's. My love for the sport is as strong as ever in my early 60's but the league just doesn't seem to care about that.