News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Has the NFL finally Jumped the shark?!

Started by andrew_nyGiants, February 11, 2024, 02:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

As I said in another post, the game itself has become secondary now, taking a backseat to the glitz and the hoopla.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Painter

It wasn't easy but I managed to avoid watching all but the 20 minutes or so of actual football through the magic of remote electronics or electronic remoteness if you prefer. As for how, that is my secret.

Cheers!

coggs

Quote from: jimc on February 11, 2024, 03:34:05 PMI'm with you! The change in the game since I started watching is crazy.  Gone from a sport to almost total glitz entertainment. But, that's what the new fans want. Today will be the Taylor Swift show. The NFL will enjoy thousands and thousands of new viewers that they didn't have to spend one penny to market. Just viewing to get a glimpse of Swift. Occasionally, we may get a glimpse of football. There will be sooooo many shots of Swift you'll think you're at a concert.
exaggerate much? 

GloryDays

They are milking the popularity at the expense of the popularity.
To gain new audiences, they risk losing the regular football fan that watches regular season games.
They also have got into social and racial preaching, which I suspect turns off many fans.

uconnjack8

Pretty funny thread. 

I have not seen the ratings for the U.S., but Canada, UK and Australia are all reporting higher numbers than last year and in some cases, records. 

Many believe this Super Bowl will set a record in the U.S. with viewership over 126 million. 

TDToomer

Quote from: GloryDays on February 12, 2024, 07:23:03 PMThey are milking the popularity at the expense of the popularity.
To gain new audiences, they risk losing the regular football fan that watches regular season games.
They also have got into social and racial preaching, which I suspect turns off many fans.

Yeah. The racist fans!
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

GloryDays

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 12, 2024, 09:16:28 PMPretty funny thread. 

I have not seen the ratings for the U.S., but Canada, UK and Australia are all reporting higher numbers than last year and in some cases, records. 

Many believe this Super Bowl will set a record in the U.S. with viewership over 126 million. 

At least half of these record setting superbowl viewers do not know much about football, do not have a team and do not watch regular season games. So yes, NFL under Goodell does a good job watering down the real action of the game and creates interest for shallow fans like Swifties for one game!!

uconnjack8

Quote from: GloryDays on February 12, 2024, 09:51:04 PMAt least half of these record setting superbowl viewers do not know much about football, do not have a team and do not watch regular season games. So yes, NFL under Goodell does a good job watering down the real action of the game and creates interest for shallow fans like Swifties for one game!!

Yeah, I doubt the NFL gives a sh!t whether the people watching know anything about the game.  All they care about is more people watching so they can make more money.  Surprised capitalism seems to upset some fans.

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 12, 2024, 10:04:09 PMYeah, I doubt the NFL gives a sh!t whether the people watching know anything about the game.  All they care about is more people watching so they can make more money.  Surprised capitalism seems to upset some fans.

You could say the same thing about Swift. People are so triggered.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

jimc

- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

bldevil

Quote from: Painter on February 12, 2024, 05:00:26 PMIt wasn't easy but I managed to avoid watching all but the 20 minutes or so of actual football through the magic of remote electronics or electronic remoteness if you prefer. As for how, that is my secret.

Cheers!

That's the way to do it!  If it weren't for DVR, or it's streaming substitute, I wouldn't watch.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

bldevil

I do think we've reached "peak football".  There is a declining base of parents who want their kids to play contact football.  Historically, the fan base of any sport usually is dominated by people who've played that sport.  The NFL is an institution, however, and it will be decades before it is eclipsed by something else.

Given that my time was wasted for this past season, effectively, when our LT was not available for most of the first half of the season, I have to ask why in the world did I misinvest so much time following this team?  The injuries are ruining the fan experience.  At least the one that I enjoy.  I guess it doesn't matter much to fantasy footballers if one particular team loses its best players due to injuries. 

As far as jumping the shark, I thought the league must jumped the shark when the announcers were more interested in Emmitt Smith Dancing With the Stars than with the game they were announcing.

As I get older I'm getting more interested in doing sports than watching sports.  But that's bucking the trend of our nation of couch potato spectators.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

TDToomer

Quote from: bldevil on February 12, 2024, 11:58:43 PMI do think we've reached "peak football".  There is a declining base of parents who want their kids to play contact football.  Historically, the fan base of any sport usually is dominated by people who've played that sport.  The NFL is an institution, however, and it will be decades before it is eclipsed by something else.

Given that my time was wasted for this past season, effectively, when our LT was not available for most of the first half of the season, I have to ask why in the world did I misinvest so much time following this team?  The injuries are ruining the fan experience.  At least the one that I enjoy.  I guess it doesn't matter much to fantasy footballers if one particular team loses its best players due to injuries. 

As far as jumping the shark, I thought the league must jumped the shark when the announcers were more interested in Emmitt Smith Dancing With the Stars than with the game they were announcing.

As I get older I'm getting more interested in doing sports than watching sports.  But that's bucking the trend of our nation of couch potato spectators.

Why does is matter what game show an NFL announcer does during the offseason? It has nothing to do with the league. They are choosing to do it. Besides Emmitt is a way better dancer than an studio analyst which he no longer does. In fact his analyst career may not have even overlapped with DWTS!

Just so many Curmudgeons this thread. It really brings this board down.  :boooo:

T200

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 12, 2024, 09:16:28 PMPretty funny thread. 

The last number I saw was 202 million across all viewing platforms.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

Quote from: T200 on February 13, 2024, 08:35:53 AMThe last number I saw was 202 million across all viewing platforms.

Just saw this.  Guess they are not losing popularity yet.