News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Former GM Mike Tannenbaum suggest QB trade for NYG

Started by MightyGiants, February 16, 2024, 09:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

President Rick

Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Gmo11

Even when he hasn't been suspended or hurt (Which is basically his entire Browns career) he has been a shell of his former self before the dozens of sexual assault allegations surfaced.  I don't need people like that on my team.  Talented or otherwise.  I'd rather stink with Daniel Jones than win with Deshaun Watson.

madbadger

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 16, 2024, 10:09:50 AMHe's not Giants material. Mine either.

https://heavy.com/sports/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-suspension-more-time-out/

History would suggest that you aren't correct that he isn't Giants material. The Mara's gave Christian Peters an opportunity when it was well known that he had been accused of multiple rapes while at Nebraska. I'm not interested in Watson but the Mara's aren't as strait laced as they pretend to be.

Philosophers

Thanks Mike.  That's why you are no longer in the NFL. You fail to understand that the Giants don't take players with black marks on character.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on February 16, 2024, 10:43:36 AMThanks Mike.  That's why you are no longer in the NFL. You fail to understand that the Giants don't take players with black marks on character.

As @madbadger mentioned I am not sure if this is really true.  You have Christian Peters, Kerry Collins (who was damaged goods when the Giants signed him), Jay Feely, Ahmad Bradshaw (who eventually served time for theft), and LT (I suspect I have forgotten a few).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Absolutely has to be some click bait.  Not sure how all the financials shake out but Watson has a whole bunch of guarantees in his contract. His cap hit is over 62 Million for 2024. 

And that doesn't even touch all the other issues.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 16, 2024, 11:04:29 AMAbsolutely has to be some click bait.  Not sure how all the financials shake out but Watson has a whole bunch of guarantees in his contract. His cap hit is over 62 Million for 2024. 

And that doesn't even touch all the other issues.

Actually, if the Giants were to trade for Watson, they would be on the hook for $46 million (his guaranteed base salary) for the next three seasons.   The Browns own the rest because they did some bonuses.  If the Giants were to trade away Jones they would save nearly $14 million in cap space (with a $33 million dead cap charge).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Forget all the other bull, I would take Fields for a #2 pick straight up.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 16, 2024, 11:07:07 AMActually, if the Giants were to trade for Watson, they would be on the hook for $46 million (his guaranteed base salary) for the next three seasons.  The Browns own the rest because they did some bonuses.  If the Giants were to trade away Jones they would save nearly $14 million in cap space (with a $33 million dead cap charge).
Right, so why on earth, would the Browns, who just signed the guy like 18 months ago want to trade him and be on the hook for that salary for 3 years? 

Is there some indication the Browns want to get rid of Watson who they gave a contract that reset the market? And again, that doesn't speak to the other side for the Giants about whether they want a guy that has played in 12 games since 2020.  And I would say in those 12 games he has not looked good. 

Further, he has to testify at two more legal proceedings and could be facing more suspension time. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/browns-deshaun-watson-may-retestify-outstanding-sexual-misconduct-case

katkavage

No deal. But if they want Jones they can have him for a couple of mid rounds picks. I'd do that without hesitation.

WheresDayne

Sounds like a trade the Cowboys would make.   :sick:

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 16, 2024, 11:17:27 AMRight, so why on earth, would the Browns, who just signed the guy like 18 months ago want to trade him and be on the hook for that salary for 3 years? 

Is there some indication the Browns want to get rid of Watson who they gave a contract that reset the market? And again, that doesn't speak to the other side for the Giants about whether they want a guy that has played in 12 games since 2020.  And I would say in those 12 games he has not looked good. 

Further, he has to testify at two more legal proceedings and could be facing more suspension time. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/browns-deshaun-watson-may-retestify-outstanding-sexual-misconduct-case

They have Joe Flacco and would get Daniel Jones (who likely do much better with the far more talented Browns team).  They might prefer to run with Flacco and get out from under the Watson deal.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE