News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Caleb Williams will represent himself instead of an agent.

Started by AYM, February 21, 2024, 04:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AYM

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/caleb-williams-enters-the-nfl-without-an-agent

Like I've been saying, I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants don't have him on their board at all. Doesn't seem like the type Mara would want as the face of the franchise.

katkavage

Quote from: AYM on February 21, 2024, 04:18:45 PMhttps://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/caleb-williams-enters-the-nfl-without-an-agent

Like I've been saying, I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants don't have him on their board at all. Doesn't seem like the type Mara would want as the face of the franchise.
That right there, if true, is why the Giants are a poorly run organization. Pure stupidity.

MightyGiants

Quote from: AYM on February 21, 2024, 04:18:45 PMhttps://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/caleb-williams-enters-the-nfl-without-an-agent

Lamar Jackson did it.   While not ideal, it was workable.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Are rookie contracts and all the clause provisions completely non-negotiable now?

If yes, then why pay the agent's fee?

If no, as a +/- 21 year old with zero experience navigating a complicated NFL contract, this shows immaturity or cockiness that he knows.  Big red flag to me.

madbadger

Quote from: katkavage on February 21, 2024, 04:36:14 PMThat right there, if true, is why the Giants are a poorly run organization. Pure stupidity.

Not stupid at all. Hire an attorney at an hourly rate to negotiate a deal based on the rookie cap and he saves himself a boatload of cash. You really don't need an agent till your second deal when things become much more complex. There isn't a lot of negotiating going on for first round picks. You get slotted based on where you're picked.

DaveBrown74

Amazes me the way people hold this kid's character in such harsh judgment while presumably knowing very little about him as a person other than at most a small handful of soundbites.

Jclayton92

katkavage

Quote from: madbadger on February 21, 2024, 04:56:04 PMNot stupid at all. Hire an attorney at an hourly rate to negotiate a deal based on the rookie cap and he saves himself a boatload of cash. You really don't need an agent till your second deal when things become much more complex. There isn't a lot of negotiating going on for first round picks. You get slotted based on where you're picked.
I meant if the Giants passed on him because of it. That would be stupid.

spiderblue43

No problem with him sans an agent with a rookie deal, which is already slotted. He's very likely to be the Bears' qb, so they'll have to deal his "maturity" issues, not our heroes.

MightyGiants

I am sort of happy that the Giants are not going to have to decide if they should draft Williams.  I see him as the ultimate boom-or-bust prospect.  I see paths to NFL success, but I also see paths to NFL failure.  I think prospects like Daniels and Maye are safer picks.  Maybe they don't have the potential upside of Williams, but I don't see the paths to draft bust that I can envision with Williams.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: katkavage on February 21, 2024, 08:42:19 PMI meant if the Giants passed on him because of it. That would be stupid.

You did indeed. I misread your post. I can't believe anyone would knock a kid for saving himself a million dollars. It may cost him on the endorsement front but the NIL being what it is he already has marketing representation, so maybe not.

Philosophers

Let's be clear about one thing.  For a player like Williams who will likely be a tip 5 pick, his agent is managing his entire life from now to the Draft.

Selection of a top training facility to train at

Hiring a nutritionist.

Manage his travel and arrangements to everywhere he goes

Manage his communication with potential sponsors for ad deals.

Talking to teams about him

Taking every call so he can focus on the Combine, private workouts, etc.

Screwing up something may cost him more than the agent's fee.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Philosophers on February 22, 2024, 09:59:54 AMLet's be clear about one thing.  For a player like Williams who will likely be a tip 5 pick, his agent is managing his entire life from now to the Draft.

Hiring a nutritionist.

And without it. He'll still go top 5.

Last year's number one got 41.2 mil. The 5th pick got 34.5

Williams is banking on himself. He's been consensus top 2-3 for a while. Why give around 10-15% for the sake of hiring a few people.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on February 22, 2024, 09:59:54 AMLet's be clear about one thing.  For a player like Williams who will likely be a tip 5 pick, his agent is managing his entire life from now to the Draft.

Hiring a nutritionist.

This.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on February 22, 2024, 10:04:00 AMAnd without it. He'll still go top 5.

Last year's number one got 41.2 mil. The 5th pick got 34.5

Williams is banking on himself. He's been consensus top 2-3 for a while. Why give around 10-15% for the sake of hiring a few people.

He can xxxx the bed and not be prepared.  He can fall out of top 5.

Lime most players, they are young, some amount of immaturity and people pulling at them.  They need help.

If it were such a good idea everyone would do it.