News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Caleb Williams will represent himself instead of an agent.

Started by AYM, February 21, 2024, 04:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on February 22, 2024, 10:04:00 AMAnd without it. He'll still go top 5.

Last year's number one got 41.2 mil. The 5th pick got 34.5

Williams is banking on himself. He's been consensus top 2-3 for a while. Why give around 10-15% for the sake of hiring a few people.

The distractions will keep him from focusing on his transition into the NFL and learning the playbook, pro-schemes and more. It also eliminates a buffer between him and management. It's a financial decision and I get it but if his combine numbers drop because of it and his interviews and evaluations suffer, he may potentially drop more than fifth.

In the end, it's his decision and hopefully for him he knows what's best. More to come from Camp Calib, I'm sure.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

londonblue

It amazes me that people think all agents do is negotiate NFL contracts.

The top agents oversee almost every aspect of the commercial life of their top clients including appointing and supervising tax accountants, lawyers, investment managers, image/marketing consultants, commercial deals, media/social media training & management, arranging training pre combine /pro-day and in offseasons, medical/health/nutrition stuff and way more besides.

They are also often involved in more personal life areas like housing, paying routine bills, providing services to the wider family etc.

In choosing to not have an agent Williams has to manage so many different aspects of his life and make a ton more decisions than he did as a college student, even in the NIL age. All of these facets are a potential distraction from the most important thing for him and any one of which could blow up pre or post draft into a significant distraction.

If he is going without an agent he should do it himself rather than having some of that gap filled by family or friends as we all know how often that type of arrangement has gone wrong in the past.

Personally I'd happily pay a good and reputable agent to take a ton of things off my plate and let me focus on my job. You have to supervise and manage your agent but it is much simpler to do that than to not have one.

Good luck to him with his choice. I hope it works for him.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

EDjohnst1981

That's an absolutely fair
Quote from: Ed Vette on February 22, 2024, 10:14:45 AMThe distractions will keep him from focusing on his transition into the NFL and learning the playbook, pro-schemes and more. It also eliminates a buffer between him and management. It's a financial decision and I get it but if his combine numbers drop because of it and his interviews and evaluations suffer, he may potentially drop more than fifth.

In the end, it's his decision and hopefully for him he knows what's best. More to come from Camp Calib, I'm sure.
we
Quote from: Ed Vette on February 22, 2024, 10:14:45 AMThe distractions will keep him from focusing on his transition into the NFL and learning the playbook, pro-schemes and more. It also eliminates a buffer between him and management. It's a financial decision and I get it but if his combine numbers drop because of it and his interviews and evaluations suffer, he may potentially drop more than fifth.

That's an absolutely fair set of points.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on February 22, 2024, 09:59:54 AMLet's be clear about one thing.  For a player like Williams who will likely be a tip 5 pick, his agent is managing his entire life from now to the Draft.

Selection of a top training facility to train at

Hiring a nutritionist.

Manage his travel and arrangements to everywhere he goes

Manage his communication with potential sponsors for ad deals.

Talking to teams about him

Taking every call so he can focus on the Combine, private workouts, etc.

Screwing up something may cost him more than the agent's fee.

Plus, while I don't think Agents have a huge impact on where a player is drafted, agents do act as PR people and promote their clients to NFL teams (and do damage control when needed).

One can't help but wonder if two-time MVP Lamar Jackson would have been drafted at the bottom of round one if he had an agent helping boost his draft stock.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: londonblue on February 22, 2024, 10:18:52 AMIt amazes me that people think all agents do is negotiate NFL contracts.

The top agents oversee almost every aspect of the commercial life of their top clients including appointing and supervising tax accountants, lawyers, investment managers, image/marketing consultants, commercial deals, media/social media training & management, arranging training pre combine /pro-day and in offseasons, medical/health/nutrition stuff and way more besides.

They are also often involved in more personal life areas like housing, paying routine bills, providing services to the wider family etc.

In choosing to not have an agent Williams has to manage so many different aspects of his life and make a ton more decisions than he did as a college student, even in the NIL age. All of these facets are a potential distraction from the most important thing for him and any one of which could blow up pre or post draft into a significant distraction.

If he is going without an agent he should do it himself rather than having some of that gap filled by family or friends as we all know how often that type of arrangement has gone wrong in the past.

Personally I'd happily pay a good and reputable agent to take a ton of things off my plate and let me focus on my job. You have to supervise and manage your agent but it is much simpler to do that than to not have one.

Theris no doubt my mind this is merely symbolic. He will have a finance guy and a lawyer to handle all those things.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on February 22, 2024, 10:18:52 AMIt amazes me that people think all agents do is negotiate NFL contracts.

I totally agree, and I will add that a good agent helps shield a player from the well-meaning but poor (and unqualified) advice from friends and family
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

The 1st contract negotiations should be relatively easy because they are slotted.  There are certainly things in the contract to be negotiated but most of these get done quickly.  If that doesn't happen with Williams, then I think that could be a sign of things to come.

For those that believe rookies don't need agents, why do you think the overwhelming majority of players hire one?  To my knowledge there hasnt been a lot who have decided not use an agent, even guys that were expected to be at the top of draft.

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 22, 2024, 10:49:14 AMThe 1st contract negotiations should be relatively easy because they are slotted.  There are certainly things in the contract to be negotiated but most of these get done quickly.  If that doesn't happen with Williams, then I think that could be a sign of things to come.

For those that believe rookies don't need agents, why do you think the overwhelming majority of players hire one?  To my knowledge there hasnt been a lot who have decided not use an agent, even guys that were expected to be at the top of draft.

Unless a lawyer is negotiating contract provisions over and over again in the same industry, he or she has no idea what is "market" between a team and a player.  Nothing is more frustrating than being on one side of a transaction and negotiAting with the other side and they have no idea what is customary and what is not.

I know rookie contracts have slotted contract amounts but there are still other provisions in rookie contracts that are negotiated.

I guarantee if he goes the just hire a lawyer route, Caleb Williams will not know this and instead of hiring a well experienced NFL contract negotiating sports/entertainment attorney, will hire just any old lawyer who wont have a clue.  He shouldn't have a clue.  He's only +\- 21 years old.  That's why he needs an agent.

katkavage

Agent or no agent, I wouldn't worry too much about C Williams. I have a funny feeling he's gonna make out fine.

zephirus

Williams should do what he thinks best. That said agents can:

- help prepare a prospect to navigate the predraft process.
- game the Combine ala Mike Mamula.
- ensure the prospect stays out of trouble.
- enhance his clients image with teams
- negotiate the best possible terms within the roookie contract, of which there are a lot.
- provide financial advise and help set up tax shelters.
- help with logistics related to moving for training or securing housing after being drafted.
- find endorsement opportunities for secondary income streams.
- act as a messenger to teams and take the brunt of public opinion if they express they don't want to play somewhere.
- secure the best trainers and nutritionists.