News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Let's talk about Jayden Daniels

Started by Jclayton92, February 21, 2024, 06:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

We've done a lot on JJ Mccarthy but there are 4 top Qbs in the draft and the other Qb to most likely make it to us is Jayden Daniels.

The 6'4 210lb Gunslinger had a legendary season that won him the Heisman Trophy, Daniels completed 236 of 327 attempts (72.2%) for 3,812 yards, 40 touchdowns, and just four interceptions. Meanwhile, on the ground, he rushed for 1,134 yards.

He Led the nation in total offense (412.2), points responsible for per game (25.2), passer rating (208.0), yards per pass attempt (11.7), rushing yards by a quarterback (1,134), and yards per play (10.71) His 208.0 passer rating is the highest in FBS history.

Per LSU Athletics

Thoughts on him as a prospect? Any advanced metrics you might find or see as we go through the process and any strengths or weaknesses.

DaveBrown74

I grew to love this QB over the course of the season. We know what his running ability is like - frankly I find it reminiscent of Lamar when I watch him. However, unlike Lamar, who put up solid but not great passing numbers in the ACC (one of the softer defensive conferences), Daniels put up excellent passing stats in the SEC, the best conference. His performance against Alabama, a defense loaded with NFL players, was electrifying.

There is some discussion about his frame, but if his current weight reading of 210 is accurate I'm not the least bit concerned. At 6'4" he has very good height for someone with that mobility, and he can add 10-15 pounds easily without giving up speed.

I think he might have the highest ceiling of anyone in this QB class. I was super impressed with him this year.

MightyGiants

Jess,

Daniels dominated almost all the stats I looked at.  He was Statistically dominant.  I guess the biggest issue will be he was only really dominant his last season (add in he is on the older side).

I will confess, I haven't yet watched a lot of film on him.

I am not sure he will fall to the Giants.  From what I am hearing this early is Maye is more likely to drop.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

He's almost a full year older than CJ Stroud and was 3-4 years older than guys he was playing against. That makes his statistical dominance look a lot less impressive from my perspective.

He also has a slight frame, which I find worrisome for a running QB. I'm not confident he's going to remain healthy against faster, stronger players given his playing style.

Count me out on Daniels.

Ed Vette

I've watched film and games and he's the real deal. He does have Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr. too which doesn't hurt. lol
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

SEC was not the best defensive conference this year. They actually fell off the scope more than people realize. Big 10 was by far the best defensive conference this year.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on February 21, 2024, 07:15:06 PMSEC was not the best defensive conference this year. They actually fell off the scope more than people realize. Big 10 was by far the best defensive conference this year.

I called the SEC the best conference, not the best defensive conference. And if it's not the best defensive conference it's surely the second best. In any event he put up legit numbers against Bama, which as you know is full of NFL starters on D every year.

Bottom line he excelled in a top conference.

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 21, 2024, 07:45:21 PMI called the SEC the best conference, not the best defensive conference. And if it's not the best defensive conference it's surely the second best. In any event he put up legit numbers against Bama, which as you know is full of NFL starters on D every year.

Bottom line he excelled in a top conference.

Oh I'm not disagreeing you. I just wanted to point out that while SEC was still the best - they slipped defensively. Daniels still had an amazing year.

But some people still think of the SEC as a defensive conference first but that has kind of flipped in the last 4-5 years. Still some very good defenses but some have turned out to be quite dreadful.

MightyGiants

Jayden Daniels Vs Alabama: All Passes

Jayden Daniels Vs FSU: All Passes/Runs

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Anticipating the other argument here is the combined totals of all the QBs PFF pass blocking grade plus their receiving grade

Maye - 144.5
McCarthy - 156.5
Williams - 159.8
Daniels- 165.1
Penix- 168.1
Nix - 180.7
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Jayden Daniels: Jalen Hurts 2.0, But BETTER! | 2024 NFL Scouting Report

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

He has amazing anticipation in his throws. Check out some film on him.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

spiderblue43

Much like Burrow; he really developed as a portal phenom in his last year. His athletic ability is just electric and made quality defenders in the SEC look dumbfounded.

He has the most star potential of the Qbs coming out to me. My favorite player along with Brock Bowers.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 21, 2024, 06:28:24 PMWe've done a lot on JJ Mccarthy but there are 4 top Qbs in the draft and the other Qb to most likely make it to us is Jayden Daniels.

J: Daniels is my favorite among IMO a generally weak field, and he has been since the start of last season.

As I've mentioned repeatedly, he has even better tools than Lamar Jackson and IMO a higher ceiling.

I liked Jackson coming out of college, but IMO Daniels' raw physical gifts and assets are noticeably better. 

Bob

PS. I still want Marvin Harrison, Jr. lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

My biggest question is can he run an NFL offense and process everything that's going on at a much faster rate than college.

I do like him.