News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Spencer Rattler

Started by MightyGiants, February 26, 2024, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

one long-time NFL exec said, "My hot take is that Spencer Rattler is better than Bo Nix and Penix. And I know other people who feel the same way."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/26/draft-preview-combine-cheat-sheet-questions
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

They're all about the same... none are can't-miss prospects. In other words, any or all of them CAN miss. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 26, 2024, 11:44:49 AMThey're all about the same... none are can't-miss prospects. In other words, any or all of them CAN miss. Bob

I tend to agree.  I really think that with these three who draft them (and how well they support and develop them) will be the key to their success or failure.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

Ed Vette

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 26, 2024, 12:36:03 PMRich. I was wondering about Rattler

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=68916.msg938426#msg938426
I think his stock will only rise as he's the sleeper in the Draft. He's a very good QB. Has a strong arm which he can throw with velocity or air it out, has good feet setting up from the pocket or either side, can thrown with accuracy on the run, has patience to allow the Receiver to break containment to go deep, can scramble within the Pocket or outside of it to complete a pass, but if he sees green pastures he will use his legs to get a first down, although it's not his first option unless you can drive a truck through the hole. He has a nice quick game with touch and although I don't see a lot of head movement, he seems to be able to make at least two reads before letting go. Xavier Legette is a huge asset to him because he gets open and makes tough catches on under thrown or on contested plays. The downside is he threw a lot of interceptions at SC and his best season was arguably with the Sooners. He has experience with 48 games and 1300 passes. He left Oklahoma because he was benched for Calib Williams. He will be 24 this season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

There's a reason he ended up at South Carolina, all the major programs passed on him when he entered the transfer portal.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 26, 2024, 01:10:50 PMThere's a reason he ended up at South Carolina, all the major programs passed on him when he entered the transfer portal.

What was the reason?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 26, 2024, 01:12:57 PMWhat was the reason?
His timing on throws are horrible, he's basically Daniel Jones when it comes to pressure, and isn't really good at anything involving the middle of the field. Couple that with 50 turnovers, 32 Ints and 18 fumbles.

Beyond that I think most passed on him because he was the top prospect in 2019, and expected to start wherever he went but most probably thought he wouldnt beat their incumbent starter.Lincoln Riley who just had Murray, Mayfield, and Hurts in consecutive seasons gave up on him for a rookie in Williams, in what is an all offense barely any defense big 12. So if rattler couldn't cut it with that coach, that talent on that team, and that conference that he wasn't the guy.

Not to mention he went 13-12 in 2 seasons at south Carolina playing with 2 elite Wrs and in the SEC east which has been down bad the past 5 years outside Georgia and Tenn.

ozzie

I think when he was with OU, Rattler was pegged as a Heisman frontrunner. Then he just kind of imploded that season and like Jclayton said, was benched for Williams. He showed flashes of talent with the Sooners but I think, never lived up to the hype, especially with Lincoln Riley coaching him.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

spiderblue43

I've seen him and he does playmaking stuff. But..long way to go in terms heading an offense. He also has some moxie and toughness. Rattler will rattle some draft cagers taken too early, I suspect.

He's clearly an NFL prospect to develop  right now. That's all.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I'm not a big Rattler guy myself based on the eye test with him. I view him as having a Baker Mayfield type ceiling. He's on the smaller side, he's not much of an athlete or runner (which is what you look for with smaller QBs as it can help make up for the size issue), and he's been around forever and put up only good but not great numbers this year playing with kids much younger than he. Plus he had an absolute stud receiver in Legette.

My projection on him is that he'll be a backup type at the next level. Outside chance he develops into a middling starter a la Mayfield, but I don't think you'll ever see him be a franchise QB.

Ed Vette

I don't look at the RAS an a substantial factor for QB's but his height will be an issue at the next level. He had a nice day throwing and shows good mechanics. I see him as a third-fourth Rounder as I do Hartmann. They will both get a chance even if it's day three. I do see both as an upgrade over Chicken Parm. Might even surprise us and have a nice backup career or a dark horse replacement for the Darnolds of the league.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 03, 2024, 09:23:48 AMI don't look at the RAS an a substantial factor for QB's but his height will be an issue at the next level. He had a nice day throwing and shows good mechanics. I see him as a third-fourth Rounder as I do Hartmann. They will both get a chance even if it's day three. I do see both as an upgrade over Chicken Parm. Might even surprise us and have a nice backup career or a dark horse replacement for the Darnolds of the league.

I also see a too erratic/ unpredictable Spencer Rattler, or a Michael Pratt or Sam Hartmann, as more than late 2nd/ early 3rd Day value and more likely to be the next Kyle Lauletta than anything resembling Daniel Jones's successor, much less a franchise QB.

Cheers!