News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Discussion on the top WR prospects and NYG

Started by MightyGiants, February 22, 2024, 01:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

DJ does a quick summary of the top 3 WRs:

Q. The question is about the Cardinals at number 4 and the receiver
situation. Obviously Marvin would be the guy if they're there. We think. If
he is not, are you sold that Rome or Malik is a value pick at 4, or would
you go with one of the tackles?

DANIEL JEREMIAH: I would take one of the wideouts, personally. I think if
you look purely off of grade and not positional value -- I tweeted this out the
other day -- I think you could make a case those three highest graded players
in this draft are the three receivers. They are outstanding. I think they're all
going to be No. 1 guys where they go.
You get different flavors. With Marvin you kind of get the big power forward
who has some really good quickness for a big guy and really tracks the ball
extremely well.
Odunze will be close to 220 pounds. I think you're going to see him run in the
low 4.4s, and he has unbelievable tracking skills to go up and get it and
combat catches, physical. If you are in Arizona and you see him, I think you'll
see similarities to Fitzgerald in terms of how he attacks the ball and goes and
gets it.
And then Nabers is a stick of dynamite. He is super, super explosive. Just get
the ball in his hands and let him go. I think there's more to him in terms of a
route runner. I think he'll get more opportunities to show that at the next level,
but he is ultra, ultra explosive.
To me I think you need some firepower if you are the Arizona Cardinals you
need some guys who can go get and make plays. I was pulling up their
numbers here. 26th in passing yards per game. 24th in points per game. Let's
get some firepower. I would love any of those three guys.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Q. You made a comment that Rome Odunze was your favorite player in
the draft. I've seen your breakdown on him, but could you elaborate a
little more on why you like him so much?

DANIEL JEREMIAH: Sure. I like big, fast, physical, smart, tough guys who
can go play above the rim and who have some route polish to them. As a
player I love what he has from a skill set standpoint. I think all of it translates.
I think when you look at big games I games in the NFL, especially going to the
postseason, I think some of that space disappears. You have to have guys
who can win with bodies around them. He can do that.
That's not to say he can't run. You'll see it when he gets to the combine, he
can run too. There's that side of it.
I love there's a bounce and an energy to him that I love. I love the fact that
even though you might have to coach some of this out of him, he hates
running out of bounds. You'll see the competitiveness in him. When he is on
the sideline, he tries to get everything he can get. He is a real, real
competitive football player.
Some of the stuff that I hear talking to sources and connections up there is
that the guy is incredibly bright. He is a great leader. He knows every spot on
the -- in the receiving room. He can play anywhere. He has been training with
Ricky Proehl, and Proehl said he is as smart of a receiver as he has ever
been around. Those things are great.
Even a little story from my buddy Brock up there, he told me that he is such a
good kid. They had an event where they had a fishing tournament fundraiser
thing that they did.
So he met this fishing captain. Never fished a day in his life. He goes out there
with this guy and has a good time and asked the fishing captain for his
number afterwards. The fishing captain didn't think anything of it. Whatever,
this guy is never going to call me.
Brock said that he ran into him months later, this fishing captain, and he said
that Rome Odunze and him go out fishing all the time, and he is the nicest guy
in the world, just a great dude. It's almost too good to be true with everything I
hear about this kid. I love the way that he plays.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 23, 2024, 09:13:36 AMQ. You made a comment that Rome Odunze was your favorite player in
the draft. I've seen your breakdown on him, but could you elaborate a
little more on why you like him so much?

DANIEL JEREMIAH: Sure. I like big, fast, physical, smart, tough guys who
can go play above the rim and who have some route polish to them. As a
player I love what he has from a skill set standpoint. I think all of it translates.
I think when you look at big games I games in the NFL, especially going to the
postseason, I think some of that space disappears. You have to have guys
who can win with bodies around them. He can do that.
That's not to say he can't run. You'll see it when he gets to the combine, he
can run too. There's that side of it.
I love there's a bounce and an energy to him that I love. I love the fact that
even though you might have to coach some of this out of him, he hates
running out of bounds. You'll see the competitiveness in him. When he is on
the sideline, he tries to get everything he can get. He is a real, real
competitive football player.
Some of the stuff that I hear talking to sources and connections up there is
that the guy is incredibly bright. He is a great leader. He knows every spot on
the -- in the receiving room. He can play anywhere. He has been training with
Ricky Proehl, and Proehl said he is as smart of a receiver as he has ever
been around. Those things are great.
Even a little story from my buddy Brock up there, he told me that he is such a
good kid. They had an event where they had a fishing tournament fundraiser
thing that they did.
So he met this fishing captain. Never fished a day in his life. He goes out there
with this guy and has a good time and asked the fishing captain for his
number afterwards. The fishing captain didn't think anything of it. Whatever,
this guy is never going to call me.
Brock said that he ran into him months later, this fishing captain, and he said
that Rome Odunze and him go out fishing all the time, and he is the nicest guy
in the world, just a great dude. It's almost too good to be true with everything I
hear about this kid. I love the way that he plays.

That was quite an informative post about his intangibles.  Loved it.  Thank you.

You just answered a question I posted earlier.  If we go WR, I want someone who makes our other WRs better.

Jclayton92

Odunze is the boundary version of AJ Brown in my opinion. Put AJ Browns skillset in DK Metcalf and you have Rome Odunze.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 23, 2024, 10:27:52 AMOdunze is the boundary version of AJ Brown in my opinion. Put AJ Browns skillset in DK Metcalf and you have Rome Odunze.

Size and speed at WR is a terrifying concept for a defense.  I like Nabers a lot but LSU WR diva attitudes scare me.

zephirus

Honestly it's this kind of thinking that has me avoid talking about the draft.  You know who was a "really good" wide receiver?  Odell Beckham Jr.  Antics/behavior aside, this guy was on an absolutely meteoric pace his first few years in the league.  He was destroying records held by Randy Moss and other Hall of Famers.  And the Giants continued to lose.  He made insane one-hand grabs despite being interfered with.  And the Giants continued to lose.  Well surely that must be the result of STILL not having enough "weapons"?!?!?!  So 4 years later we go out and get Saquon Barkley instead of trading down and taking Quenton Nelson who has 4 All-Pros and 6 Pro Bowls to his name.  And the year before that we also over-looked the line and went for Evan Engram.

But yes, please let's go get another wide receiver.

Philosophers

Quote from: zephirus on February 23, 2024, 10:53:54 AMHonestly it's this kind of thinking that has me avoid talking about the draft.  You know who was a "really good" wide receiver?  Odell Beckham Jr.  Antics/behavior aside, this guy was on an absolutely meteoric pace his first few years in the league.  He was destroying records held by Randy Moss and other Hall of Famers.  And the Giants continued to lose.  He made insane one-hand grabs despite being interfered with.  And the Giants continued to lose.  Well surely that must be the result of STILL not having enough "weapons"?!?!?!  So 4 years later we go out and get Saquon Barkley instead of trading down and taking Quenton Nelson who has 4 All-Pros and 6 Pro Bowls to his name.  And the year before that we also over-looked the line and went for Evan Engram.

I have thought of this but we cant be hampered by the past.  We need talent.  What we really need is a great OL  That drives everything.

We just need to get mature talent not immature divas.

Painter

While I am guessing about guessing where there is always enough uncertainty to make me want to change it before I make it, I would take Malik Nabers at 6 without reservation. That is, of course, unless the Giants foreclose the option by using the pick, one way or another, for a QB.

Yes, I know that last year the Giants added Biletnikoff-winner Jalin Hyatt and got a much smaller return than might have been expected, but that should have no effect whatever on this year's choice of Nabers. They are not comparable talents.

Not only was Nabers a unanimous All-American but now is the leading Receiver in LSU history which includes some of the best ever such as: Josh Reed, Michael Clayton, Justin Jefferson, Ja'marr Chase, Odell Beckham and others.

I like Odunze, but much like Marvin Harrison, who will be off-the-board, I see Malik Nabers as a real "game changer" And yes, they also must do whatever it takes to put a vastly improved Oline in front of whomever is at QB.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: zephirus on February 23, 2024, 10:53:54 AMHonestly it's this kind of thinking that has me avoid talking about the draft.  You know who was a "really good" wide receiver?  Odell Beckham Jr.  Antics/behavior aside, this guy was on an absolutely meteoric pace his first few years in the league.  He was destroying records held by Randy Moss and other Hall of Famers.  And the Giants continued to lose.  He made insane one-hand grabs despite being interfered with.  And the Giants continued to lose.  Well surely that must be the result of STILL not having enough "weapons"?!?!?!  So 4 years later we go out and get Saquon Barkley instead of trading down and taking Quenton Nelson who has 4 All-Pros and 6 Pro Bowls to his name.  And the year before that we also over-looked the line and went for Evan Engram.

Your measuring stick for evaluating these high profile picks seems to be how much the team won since taking the player.

What have the Colts won with Quentin Nelson?

GloryDays

Those 3 are good WRs with NFL potential, but I think Ladd McConkey's game better suits the NFL and our team; more importantly, he could probably be taken near the end of the 1st of top of the 2nd. Targeting him allows us to add more players at other positions of need in this draft.

Bob In PA

Quote from: londonblue on February 22, 2024, 04:23:46 PMIf we can protect the QB and if we have a QB who can make downfield and sideline throws my answer is Odunze. If we are stuck with quick hit dink and dunk inside the hash marks then it is Nabers.

In the scenario we are taking one of them Jones or a TT level QB2 will be at QB so even if our OL is better Nabers will likely offer the most next season. Beyond that I would hope we find a way to get functional QB play and then I prefer Odunze.

Pick your poison, they are both good.

london: Great answer.  Considering it from the proactive (rather than reactive) point of view, I think the answer requires consideration of... which guy backs the defense farther off the line of scrimmage.

Our OL still stinks, so IMO the guy who threatens the defense deep is probably the better choice.  But the long and short of it is... which guy fits the offense Daboll/Kafka are running?  I don't think they'll change the over all approach to offense to fit one guy.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 24, 2024, 07:56:26 AMlondon: Great answer.  Considering it from the proactive (rather than reactive) point of view, I think the answer requires consideration of... which guy backs the defense farther off the line of scrimmage.

Our OL still stinks, so IMO the guy who threatens the defense deep is probably the better choice.  But the long and short of it is... which guy fits the offense Daboll/Kafka are running?  I don't think they'll change the over all approach to offense to fit one guy.

Bob
If we go on the past, the Bills traded away Sammy watkins and obtained Stefan Diggs, so we know what type of #1 and #2s they like.

They like a big physical #1
They like burners at the #2 and backup boundary wr
And they like a Wes welker type small do it all guy in the slot

Jclayton92

Also I know people are saying odunze is the tall monster who's super physical and can contested catch everything which he can but he's also faster than Nabers. Clocking a 4.34. Maybe Nabers runs faster at the combine but currently they only have him at 4.4. I just think odunze can do it all.

MightyGiants

Reel Analytics
@RAanalytics
🌟Top-10 Prospect🌟

Washington WR Rome Odunze is turning heads as a bonafide top 10 draft pick.

At 6'3", 215 lbs, Odunze combines size with athleticism, boasting an IGA Score ™ of 99.3, the highest among WRs in this class.

Odunze's final season stats are nothing short of spectacular:

- 1,677 total yards
- 14 touchdowns
- An impressive 17.7 yards per reception

His ability to run the full route tree, coupled with exceptional route running skills and reliable hands, positions him as a prototypical WR1.

Odunze's blend of speed, strength, and football IQ makes him one of the most sought-after talents in the draft.

🔒(Coming Soon) Stay tuned to RA+ for an in-depth analysis of Rome Odunze, including his potential impact in the NFL and how his skill set translates to the next level. 🔒
https://twitter.com/i/status/1749791342539247839
3:29 PM · Feb 26, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE