News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

No tag for Barkley

Started by MightyGiants, February 26, 2024, 02:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zephirus

With the other rbs on the market they're value will be suppressed even more. Why pay a franchise rate when you can get another for less? Guarantee that at least 2 of the Henry, Jacobs, Barkley, Pollard group are still free agents after the draft

WheresDayne

Besides, we can draft a decent running back and make sure he has the traits we need, like blocking and receiving. There are always many options in the draft, we just need to be better at selecting the right guys with the right skillsets to be successful.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: zephirus on February 27, 2024, 07:00:28 AMWith the other rbs on the market they're value will be suppressed even more. Why pay a franchise rate when you can get another for less? Guarantee that at least 2 of the Henry, Jacobs, Barkley, Pollard group are still free agents after the draft

I think it's likely more than one will end up as a week 2 vested vet signing if there isn't some significant injuries during camp. 

sooners56

So what is the plan at RB if Barkley signs elsewhere? Gray starts with a drafted rookie as backup? Getting a rookie RB sounds great, but there is no guarantee that the rookie pans out, even though many think starting caliber RBs can easily be found in later rounds. If that's the case why haven't any late round Giants RBs panned out? Last one was Bradshaw if I remember correctly.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MightyGiants

Quote from: sooners56 on February 27, 2024, 12:11:15 PMSo what is the plan at RB if Barkley signs elsewhere? Gray starts with a drafted rookie as backup? Getting a rookie RB sounds great, but there is no guarantee that the rookie pans out, even though many think starting caliber RBs can easily be found in later rounds. If that's the case why haven't any late round Giants RBs panned out? Last one was Bradshaw if I remember correctly.

Schoen mentioned the draft
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

There were 12 players last year who rushed for 1k yards and only 4 of them were first rounders.  The Giants are doing the right there here.  Don't spend too much of your cap on a running back, and don't expend too much draft capital either.

Jclayton92

Quote from: sooners56 on February 27, 2024, 12:11:15 PMSo what is the plan at RB if Barkley signs elsewhere? Gray starts with a drafted rookie as backup? Getting a rookie RB sounds great, but there is no guarantee that the rookie pans out, even though many think starting caliber RBs can easily be found in later rounds. If that's the case why haven't any late round Giants RBs panned out? Last one was Bradshaw if I remember correctly.
Because we don't really draft RBs, Outside Gray we really haven't invested as Brightwell was a pure specials play. Instead Gettleman always signed Retirement home backs instead of drafting one besides Barkley. The only other time we invested in RB was Wilson that Reese pannick picked after Tampa took Martin.

Trench

Quote from: zephirus on February 27, 2024, 02:11:01 PMThere were 12 players last year who rushed for 1k yards and only 4 of them were first rounders.  The Giants are doing the right there here.  Don't spend too much of your cap on a running back, and don't expend too much draft capital either.

Post of the off-season right here!!!

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Trench on February 27, 2024, 11:43:51 PMPost of the off-season right here!!!

This sparked my interest a bit so I went to do a little comparison.  I looked up the WR position to compare- # of receptions of the top 12 guys and how many of those were first rounders.  Interestingly enough, there were only 3 of the 12:

Ceedee Lamb
DJ Moore
Jamaar Chase

The other 9:
Tyreek Hill  (5th round)
Amon-Ra St Brown   (4th round)
Michael Pittman (2nd round)
Keenan Allen (3rd round)
Stefon Diggs (5th round)
AJ Brown (2nd round)
Puka Nacua (5th round)
Davante Adams (2nd round)
Adam Thielen (undrafted)

All of these guys except DJ Moore caught more than 100 passes last year (!).  So now I wonder....is it really that rare to have a low percentage of elite players come out of the 1st round?  With this info/set of stats- Would we now argue against getting a WR at #6?  Or paying an elite WR- since we can obviously find a great one pretty easily outside of the 1st round?

Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

Stringer Bell

Quote from: PSUBeirut on February 28, 2024, 10:20:45 AMThis sparked my interest a bit so I went to do a little comparison.  I looked up the WR position to compare- # of receptions of the top 12 guys and how many of those were first rounders.  Interestingly enough, there were only 3 of the 12:

Ceedee Lamb
DJ Moore
Jamaar Chase

The other 9:
Tyreek Hill  (5th round)
Amon-Ra St Brown   (4th round)
Michael Pittman (2nd round)
Keenan Allen (3rd round)
Stefon Diggs (5th round)
AJ Brown (2nd round)
Puka Nacua (5th round)
Davante Adams (2nd round)
Adam Thielen (undrafted)

All of these guys except DJ Moore caught more than 100 passes last year (!).  So now I wonder....is it really that rare to have a low percentage of elite players come out of the 1st round?  With this info/set of stats- Would we now argue against getting a WR at #6?  Or paying an elite WR- since we can obviously find a great one pretty easily outside of the 1st round?

Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

That's why BPA is almost always the way to go. Where I maybe deviate from that approach is an example like Alt. If Alt is highest rated on the board when #6 rolls around, I'm not a fan drafting someone that high and then moving them to a new position.

But just because WR talent can be found later, if Nabers or Odunze are the hugest rated guy available, they should jump on them at #6.

Jclayton92

A lot of the Houston insiders are saying saquan and cj Stroud have been in communication a lot and want to team up etc and we can only hope this comes true.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 29, 2024, 06:51:23 PMA lot of the Houston insiders are saying saquan and cj Stroud have been in communication a lot and want to team up etc and we can only hope this comes true.

Houston makes sense. They're a playoff team, they have a QB on a rookie deal, and their incumbent lead back (Damon Pierce) seems pretty limited.

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 27, 2024, 10:15:52 AMhttps://x.com/giantswfan/status/1762496473118208389?s=20

Really dont understand why they would tag him or why its even on the table.  Let him go get offers from other teams and see how much he is worth.  Would guess that the average per year will be less than the tag, and it won't count 100% against the cap next year.

They know he wants to be a Giant.  So if he gets an offer that seems reasonable to the Giants they can match it and keep him if they want.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 01, 2024, 06:55:56 AMReally dont understand why they would tag him or why its even on the table.  Let him go get offers from other teams and see how much he is worth.  Would guess that the average per year will be less than the tag, and it won't count 100% against the cap next year.

They know he wants to be a Giant.  So if he gets an offer that seems reasonable to the Giants they can match it and keep him if they want.

This whole narrative of him wanting to be a "Giant for life" is a bit overblown in my opinion. I'm not saying it has no truth to it, but the guy was given a very solid offer last offseason and he refused to take it. Don't forget he also passed on an offer in the middle of the season. We may not know the precise terms of the offers but it's very fair to say there is virtually zero chance anyone would make those same offers to him today. Not after what was just an OK 2023 season with yet another injury leading to multiple missed games. If he were so hell-bent on remaining a Giant I doubt he would have passed on the offer Schoen had on the table last spring.

I'm not faulting him in any way, mind you, as he is perfectly entitled to do whatever he feels he needs to do to best serve his interests. But this whole "Giant for life" thing shouldn't be taken so literally in my opinion. I take it more as "it would be nice, but...."