News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Overall Giants Draft Theme

Started by Philosophers, February 28, 2024, 10:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

As they address and uktimately select prospects, i hope they do the following:

1) RB - regardless of whether Barkley returns or not, I want them to draft a super fast RB.  They need an Achane type RB on the team.  More speed from another skilled position on offense.  Maybe Jaylen Wright from Tennessee woukd be a good fit.

2) WR - Giants need a much better version of Hodgins which includes a lot more speed.  I like a Xavier Leggette or Brian Thomas type size more than rail thin Xavier Worthy.

3) OL - if the Giants keep Neal at ORT, I think they need a RG who can move laterally very well and process DL movement quickly to also help Neal on twists.  I think Zak Zinter is a perfect fit here.

4) DL - will Bowen run a 1 gap or 2 gap style DL?  I assume the former so for that we need an explosively fast 3 tech DT who hits one shoulder/hole quickly and is relentless with interior penetration.  Who is that?

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on February 28, 2024, 10:30:51 AMAs they address and uktimately select prospects, i hope they do the following:

1) RB - regardless of whether Barkley returns or not, I want them to draft a super fast RB.  They need an Achane type RB on the team.  More speed from another skilled position on offense.  Maybe Jaylen Wright from Tennessee woukd be a good fit.

2) WR - Giants need a much better version of Hodgins which includes a lot more speed.  I like a Xavier Leggette or Brian Thomas type size more than rail thin Xavier Worthy.

3) OL - if the Giants keep Neal at ORT, I think they need a RG who can move laterally very well and process DL movement quickly to also help Neal on twists.  I think Zak Zinter is a perfect fit here.

4) DL - will Bowen run a 1 gap or 2 gap style DL?  I assume the former so for that we need an explosively fast 3 tech DT who hits one shoulder/hole quickly and is relentless with interior penetration.  Who is that?

1) Trey Benson is a big RB and a workhorse at 6'1" / 224 lbs...and he ran a 4.37. Jaylen Wright is the fastest (so far) and is 5'11" / 210 lbs...and ran a 4.31. Blake Corum is 5'8" and 213 lbs (fire hydrant build) who ran a 4.38. My favorite is Braelon Allen who is friggin huge at 6'2" and 245 lbs (looks more like a fullback, but is a workhorse RB) who ran a 4.38, which at the size is remarkable. I don't think any other RBs of note has run a sub 4.4

2) I agree with you, but believe Malachi Corley is the guy you should check out. He's a Hodgins-type WR, but after the catch is the cunningest, nastiest, craftiest WR in the draft. Led the college ranks by a mile in YAC. Once he has the ball, he doesn't stop...turns 3yds into 8 yds, 10 yds into 15, etc. He's not super fast, or a field stretcher, but he tracks the ball in traffic and always gets a few extra yards. He has great acceleration after he's free - like a turbo engine in a car. He was a RB when he started, but was so good catching the ball that they made him a WR. He has a footballer's heart, with a nose for the football, and a nose for the end zone. I can't say enough about this guy. Several analysts compare him to Deebo Samuel, but I hate comparisons. He is Malichi Corley, the individual. Reminds me of Hodgins, but with excitement. Always finds open fields and turns crap-storm chaos into getting the ball down the field

3) You took the words right out of my mouth. Zinter would make up for a lot of missteps by Neal and he's great at RB blocking, Pass protection, and zone

4) I'm in the camp that believe we have to "up the ante" on the DL even though it's been pretty steady. T'Vondre Sweat is a big man with a lot of moves and could spell Dex...or line him up next to Dex and you have 2/3 of a concrete wall. I'm really interested in seeing Schoen find Leo's replacement...one who can push the line, stop the run, yet savvy enough to get to the QB. Personally, I like the DEs who are 300 lbs +/- 5 lbs...Byron Murphy II; Kris Jenkins; Ruke Orhorhoro. Darius Robinson is only 286 lbs, but he plays bigger and can get to the QB. Bralen Trice is also undersized (IMO) at 6'4"/276, but is awfully good and can add weight and muscle

Extra unsolicited comment) Just my sleeper pick that I hope we get...TE Brevyn Spann-Ford, Minnesota. 6'7" / 267 lbs and runs a 4.72...but has the highest PFF blocking rate (tied with Cade Stover as top blocking TE). He's like having an extra offensive lineman, but he can still catch and run. He'd be a great player to line up next to Neal who is also 6'7, but quicker because he's 70lbs lighter and a lot faster. But even though he's primarily an extra lineman, he has skills beyond that. I like him, not only because it's another big TE to exploit beside Bellinger, but because he's flexible and can help our fickle and porous o-line. But he's not a one-trick pony, check out his fierce running below in the picture

PFF has him ranked in the top 50, whilst everyone else has him ranked closer to at or over 200...that I simply don't understand. Here's PFF's rank and comment on Spann-Ford:

31. TE Brevyn Spann-Ford, Minnesota Golden Gophers

Spann-Ford looks like a third offensive tackle for Minnesota at 6-foot-7 and 270 pounds. And he plays like one, too. His 82.5 run-blocking grade last year led all Power Five tight ends, while his 14 big-time blocks were four more than any other tight end in the country. Spann-Ford is also one of the best receivers at the position, recording 2.22 yards per route run in 2022 — the fifth-best mark among FBS tight ends.

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jolly Blue Giant

Just a little more stuff on Corley from a couple of football nerds, that do a pretty good job of summarizing him. One of the things I left out of my above comments was Corley's used a PR and also plays special teams, which is an area I think we need to shore up and not take for granted

Anyway

Stringer Bell

I like Corley, too, as a general football fan, but I don't think he's the right pick for the Giants. I'd strongly prefer a traditional outside WR-type, 6'2" or taller - unless they are positively elite like Nabers. I think Thomas or Legette would be a better fit - although looks like Thomas is trending up and won't be available for our first 2nd round pick.

My preferred pick at #6 is Nabers / Odunze, but if they go in a different direction then I agree with going with WR with 1 of our seconds. I'd like to use the other 2nd on an edge or CB.

And I'd be fine with Zinter in the 3rd. If we get a WR at #6 and don't need to use a second on one, I'd prefer Beebe in 2nd over Zinter in 3rd. In that scenario, I'd take DL or RB in 3rd.

Philosophers

I like Corley as well and know he is trending up but I think we need a bigger bodied WR to complement Hyatt and Robinson.

Is Bellinger really not enough at TE rhat we need an upgrade assuming we move on from Waller?  I like the Minnesota iid as well but prefer a better pass running TE ala Laporta

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on February 28, 2024, 03:35:13 PMI like Corley as well and know he is trending up but I think we need a bigger bodied WR to complement Hyatt and Robinson.

Is Bellinger really not enough at TE rhat we need an upgrade assuming we move on from Waller?  I like the Minnesota iid as well but prefer a better pass running TE ala Laporta

Belichik did a pretty good job using two TE's...just saying. I'm not sure Waller has much left in him. It would be nice if he did and could actually stay healthy, but not sure that's possible

Corley is more like that guy who gets open and bails out the QB when everything's falling apart. He makes something out of nothing. Never going to be the guy who stretches the field, but if there's a piece of field undefended, you can bet he'll be there. And the fact the he is a special team ace, makes him valuable (two for the price of one kinda deal). Who knows...last year it was Puca Nacua that surprised everyone with a heart twice the size of his body. Maybe it's Corley this year

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on February 28, 2024, 03:35:13 PMI like Corley as well and know he is trending up but I think we need a bigger bodied WR to complement Hyatt and Robinson.

I think Waller is all but gone and year 3 for a TE is huge so we'll likely see what Bellinger is longterm this season  and I personally think he's more than enough with a mid-level signing.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 28, 2024, 05:09:16 PMI think Waller is all but gone and year 3 for a TE is huge so we'll likely see what Bellinger is longterm this season  and I personally think he's more than enough with a mid-level signing.

With stud Mark Andrews at TE, I thought the Ravens made a great draft pick up getting Isiah Likely from Coastal Carolina.  Great pass catching threat who gives them a tough two TE set and who will probably replace Andrews soon.  I guess drafting a TE for the Giants is probably a good idea.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on February 28, 2024, 06:11:48 PMWith stud Mark Andrews at TE, I thought the Ravens made a great draft pick up getting Isiah Likely from Coastal Carolina.  Great pass catching threat who gives them a tough two TE set and who will probably replace Andrews soon.  I guess drafting a TE for the Giants is probably a good idea.
Yeah I just think QB, Weapon, DE, and Edge are the top 4 needs with either corner 2 or safety being a close 5.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 28, 2024, 07:28:12 PMYeah I just think QB, Weapon, DE, and Edge are the top 4 needs with either corner 2 or safety being a close 5.

I assume you are excluding the OL because you think it gets addressed in free agency right, otherwise I think one good day 1 starting Guard is important.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on February 29, 2024, 07:43:34 AMI assume you are excluding the OL because you think it gets addressed in free agency right, otherwise I think one good day 1 starting Guard is important.
Yeah 2 servicable guards and swing tackle are both cheap and easy to find in FA so it shouldn't be a problem to stabilize the line without investing more draft picks

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 29, 2024, 08:41:55 AMYeah 2 servicable guards and swing tackle are both cheap and easy to find in FA so it shouldn't be a problem to stabilize the line without investing more draft picks

That's been the rule of thumb for the Giants for the last decade or more...just get a few serviceable guards on the cheap and "voila...problem fixed"...LOL