News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Phill Simms and Matt Simms breaking down the top QBs

Started by MightyGiants, February 29, 2024, 08:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphpal1

How many QBs are busts cause they got drafted by the wrong team
Before mccvay saved Goff he was going into the bust column

kingm56

Quote from: ralphpal1 on February 29, 2024, 06:44:02 PMHow many QBs are busts cause they got drafted by the wrong team

??  I think you have Goff confused with another QB.  Goff was Pro Bowl QB by his second year.  MCCVAY actually traded him; so, I'm not sure how he saved his career?  BL: With the exception of his first year in Det, Goff has been a really good QB in LA and DET.  Again, with the exception of 2021, Goff has had very good/consistent objective numbers for 7 seasons now.  He's actually played better without the aforementioned McCvay; so, I'm a little confused by your comment.     

jimc

Quote from: kingm56 on February 29, 2024, 05:14:34 PMAre you happy the Giants traded for Eli Manning?   

Of course, but that was a draft day trade.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on February 29, 2024, 07:22:09 PM??  I think you have Goff confused with another QB.  Goff was Pro Bowl QB by his second year.  MCCVAY actually traded him; so, I'm not sure how he saved his career?  BL: With the exception of his first year in Det, Goff has been a really good QB in LA and DET.  Again, with the exception of 2021, Goff has had very good/consistent objective numbers for 7 seasons now.  He's actually played better without the aforementioned McCvay; so, I'm a little confused by your comment.     
Why was the trade made?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: ralphpal1 on February 29, 2024, 06:44:02 PMHow many QBs are busts cause they got drafted by the wrong team

I wouldn't say the "wrong team." I would say a team not good enough to develop them.  Talented teams have a much better hit rate on QBs than the bad teams.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 08:10:11 AM
Pretty good evaluation. I agree that I want to see him at the Combine. His ability to throw on the run is huge and it's what Daniel Jones can't do well and it hurts him. It's not an easy task to make third down throws when the Defense is expecting it. I said he would be a good fit for the Giants because he can sit a year and learn. I don't see him making it past the first round because there are teams that need a QB and will draft him well before the end of round one. I think the Giants would have to trade up from the Second round and quite frankly, I can see them taking him at six if the top three are taken. It won't be popular with some but if he can be a Franchise QB in 2-3 years, it will pay off. The naysayers will point to Jones, but McCarthy is much more NFL proven than Jones was.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 01, 2024, 08:53:42 AMPretty good evaluation. I agree that I want to see him at the Combine. His ability to throw on the run is huge and it's what Daniel Jones can't do well and it hurts him. It's not an easy task to make third down throws when the Defense is expecting it. I said he would be a good fit for the Giants because he can sit a year and learn. I don't see him making it past the first round because there are teams that need a QB and will draft him well before the end of round one. I think the Giants would have to trade up from the Second round and quite frankly, I can see them taking him at six if the top three are taken. It won't be popular with some but if he can be a Franchise QB in 2-3 years, it will pay off. The naysayers will point to Jones, but McCarthy is much more NFL proven than Jones was was.

What impresses me about McCarthy is not just his ability to throw on the run, but I see him often directing traffic as he is scrambling.  The ability to stay cool under the pressure that caused you to scramble and have your wits about you (you need that to be directing traffic) is a valuable trait for a QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 08:55:38 AMWhat impresses me about McCarthy is not just his ability to throw on the run, but I see him often directing traffic as he is scrambling.  The ability to stay cool under the pressure that caused you to scramble and have your wits about you (you need that to be directing traffic) is a valuable trait for a QB.
He doesn't freeze and lock on to one target when he's moving. Jones is looking for a Receiver to come back and McCarthy as well as the top three are seeing the field.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 01, 2024, 08:59:38 AMHe doesn't freeze and lock on to one target when he's moving. Jones is looking for a Receiver to come back and McCarthy as well as the top three are seeing the field.

I don't scout QBs by measuring them against Daniel Jones.  I look at what a QB does when the pressure gets them. Can they maneuver in the pocket to buy time?  If they can, that's a big plus. I see McCarthy do a pretty good job moving in the pocket (and he is willing to take the big hit to complete the pass). I look at what they do when they scramble.  Many QBs, when they scramble, will tuck in and run (with maybe the occasional throw if they see a wide-open receiver.  Other QBs, like McCarthy, scramble, but as they are running, they are working out in their head how to throw the ball (they may end up running, but their preference is still to throw).  I think defenses struggle with the latter.  It's hard to defend a QB leaving the pocket when you still need to honor your coverage assignments and can't assist in stopping the QB if he decides to run (until they are well past the line of scrimmage). 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on February 29, 2024, 04:03:54 PMWho is demonizing anyone here? You're better than to use careless language like that Rich.

Saying that you take someone's position with a grain of salt is not saying that person is stupid, worthless or irrelevant. It's just acknowledging that the person in question has said or done something in the past that gives you pause. In this case he was very adamant about Mond being potentially the best quarterback in the draft when in reality he was so spectacularly bad that even as a third round pick he only made it a month into his rookie year before the Vikings said we've seen enough. My reluctance isn't due to him being wrong, we all get things wrong. It has everything to do with being spectacularly wrong on a subject that you're supposed to be a subject matter expert. It's not like drugs, gambling or women caused his downfall, it was because he was hot garbage at being a quarterback.

Does that make him wrong on all other quarterbacks? Nope. Never said it did. Does it give me pause when he offers an opinion on the same subject going forward? Absolutely. Are you obligated to share my opinion? Nope.

Chris Simms has ranked and given opinions on dozens of QB prospects over the year.  He ranked (as my link showed) Mound 4 that year.   Still, you comment had certain had subtext that can't be ignored.   Essentially you claimed we should have doubts about Simms' scouting assessments (or as you put it "take them with a grain of salt) because he got one wrong.  That requires the assumption that the only experts that one should have skeptical of their reports (the definition of take with a grain of salt) is someone who is 100% perfect in their assessments and such a person doesn't exist.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 05, 2024, 07:05:08 PM
Like I've said, the most NFL ready QB of this draft and the most underrated. Don't discount this man.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

One thing I like about JJ is that he leads his team and they rally and play for him.  I guarantee you if he takes a cheap shot, his teammates will go after the defensive player.  Not all QBs get that from their team because of the poor chemistry they have with them.  JJ will never blame others.  JJ is the first to lift up a player with positive encouragement if he messed up Teammates notice that and play harder for a QB who is like that.

Daniel Jones is so quiet and does not seem to lift his team up with words and encouragement as a leader.  He does not blame but he does not lead.