News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The more I hear the more the Giants option at 6 will be

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 08:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 06:14:50 PMThere are two major injuries that change the equation

Would you say his play last year prior to the two injuries made the Giants brass feel good about their decision to give him all that money?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 04, 2024, 06:26:31 PMWould you say his play last year prior to the two injuries made the Giants brass feel good about their decision to give him all that money?

Jones finished 4 games under the worst conditions.   I can't imagine this poor sample set impacted the views of the brass significantly
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 02:45:10 PMDex's 23 Cap hit was 5.7 million and Thomas' was 9.2. Had nothing to do about finding 2023 cap space for them. 

I don't pretend to know or understand that machinations behind the salary cap. In fact, just thinking about it makes my eyebrows hurt :D

But if the cap hit by signing Jones was approximately $11m less than the Franchise tag hit, how did it not help the team's cap health?  I guess I really don't understand the cap economics
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

nb587

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 04, 2024, 06:26:31 PMWould you say his play last year prior to the two injuries made the Giants brass feel good about their decision to give him all that money?

Ed Vette

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on March 04, 2024, 07:37:16 PMI don't pretend to know or understand that machinations behind the salary cap. In fact, just thinking about it makes my eyebrows hurt :D

But if the cap hit by signing Jones was approximately $11m less than the Franchise tag hit, how did it not help the team's cap health?  I guess I really don't understand the cap economics
You asked if his cap savings helped sign Thomas and Dex. It didn't for year 2023 as I illustrated. However take a look at his cap hit this year. It hurts the team. $46 million along with the year two of Dex and Thomas.

Now they have to sign a FA QB that can play and be healthy because as Schoen said, he's coming off three injuries. They are considering drafting a QB and if it's first round that's not cheap and then they have to absorb Jones' dead Cap after 2024.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sxdxca38

Joe Shoen has admitted in the past that he had wished he had picked up Daniel Jones' 5th year option instead of declining it. So, he has admitted that was a mistake, and if there are any more mistakes, well time will tell.

Painter

No one-Nadie-Personne- has been a bigger critic of John Mara for having hired old crony, Gettleman as GM based on Ernie's counterfeit recommendation. However, had G-man not been smitten with Barkley, we almost certainly would have had Sam Donald ready to succeed Eli. Some fun, eh?

And then if not for Justin Herbert's decision to stay and not enter the 2019 Draft, he no doubt would have been the Giants pick at 6 and not Daniel Jones. But alas, whether bad timing or bad luck, if indeed there is any a difference, no QB from that Draft has had other than a losing record to date. And silly as it might seem, Daniel Jones has had a better record in the past 2 years, 10-11-1 than has No.1 pick Kyler Murray's 6-13. Yuck!

And speaking of silly, what was that cockadoodle about McAdoo changing Eli's foot placement in the shotgun and with it the Offense leading to an 11-5 record before reality arrived in the PO game rout and then the following year when they went 3-13? So, was that because Eli decided to revert to right foot forward like most QBs not coached by left foot McCarthy's student, Ben McAdoo?

While in general, I thought McAdoo was a doofus as both an OC and a HC, I must give him credit for recognizing that despite the winning season in 2016, Eli's game was in rapid decline per his final 9-26 W-L, and so he urged the Giants to set their sights in the 2017 Draft on a guy named Patrick Mahomes who, as it turned out went to the Chiefs at 10 in a trade-up far head of the Giants pick at 23.

Of course, he didn't know how it would go at the time. In any case, when he talked to Chris Mara about it, he was told that they already were planning to draft a guy named Davis Webb should they need to replace Eli.

As I have said several times in the past few weeks, nothing much has changed in what obviously has been a losing decade- 2014-2023. But any day now, right? 

Cheers!

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 08:27:48 PMYou asked if his cap savings helped sign Thomas and Dex. It didn't for year 2023 as I illustrated. However take a look at his cap hit this year. It hurts the team. $46 million along with the year two of Dex and Thomas.

Now they have to sign a FA QB that can play and be healthy because as Schoen said, he's coming off three injuries. They are considering drafting a QB and if it's first round that's not cheap and then they have to absorb Jones' dead Cap after 2024.
:surrender:
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"