News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The more I hear the more the Giants option at 6 will be

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 08:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

LT Joe Alt
WR Rome Odunze
QB J.J. McCarthy

I believe QBs Williams, Maye, and Daniels go in some order 1,2, and 3

I think WR Harrison and WR Nabers go in some order 4 and 5

So who do you take?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Rich,

I can't argue with anything you have written here. I'm maybe a bit less sure than you are that Nabers will go to the Chargers, as they could easily go with Odunze instead plus I can't rule out their taking one of the tackles, but I think your projections are probably the base case.

I am still not sold on taking McCarthy 6th overall but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I'm also dreading this season with our current QB options, albeit this is not a reason to use the 6th pick in the draft on the fourth QB off the board of the front office is only moderately sold on him.

You won't hear much push-back from me if we take  a top tackle or one of the two premier receivers. I have all but given up on Neal ever being good, plus — let's face it — Thomas isn't exactly the model of durability. And we also clearly don't have a number one, top shelf, alpha dog receiver in this offense, and like OT it's a premium position.

I tend to think quality receivers run a bit deeper in drafts than quality OTs, so I would feel more confident in us getting a good to very good receiver with one of our second rounders than a very good OT in that range. With that in mind, I'd probably lean slightly towards OT.

I need to be more convinced on McCarthy than I presently am to declare him as my preference with that high a pick.

Philosophers

My one and only question with Joe Alt is if he can play RT at a high level.  We know he's good at LT.

I am a big fan of ND OL.  They are smart, coachable and seem to have enough of everything to be effective at the NFL level.

Odunze seems to check all the boxes, however so did Quentin Johnston who came out of college and had a very quiet NFL first year with the Chargers.  If they go WR, he needs to be WR1 for the Giants before frankly he leaves that draft stage.

I understand the hesitancy of drafting JJ at 6 and having him be say the 4th QB off the board.  It feels like a lot of talent would be there at other positions.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 01, 2024, 08:50:16 AMRich,

I can't argue with anything you have written here. I'm maybe a bit less sure than you are that Nabers will go to the Chargers, as they could easily go with Odunze instead plus I can't rule out their taking one of the tackles, but I think your projections are probably the base case.

I am still not sold on taking McCarthy 6th overall but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I'm also dreading this season with our current QB options, albeit this is not a reason to use the 6th pick in the draft on the fourth QB off the board of the front office is only moderately sold on him.

You won't hear much push-back from me if we take  a top tackle or one of the two premier receivers. I have all but given up on Neal ever being good, plus — let's face it — Thomas isn't exactly the model of durability. And we also clearly don't have a number one, top shelf, alpha dog receiver in this offense, and like OT it's a premium position.

I tend to think quality receivers run a bit deeper in drafts than quality OTs, so I would feel more confident in us getting a good to very good receiver with one of our second rounders than a very good OT in that range. With that in mind, I'd probably lean slightly towards OT.

I need to be more convinced on McCarthy than I presently am to declare him as my preference with that high a pick.

As you know, I listen to a lot of quality football podcasts.  I get a real sense that the NFL is really high on Nabers, to the point that it wouldn't shock me to see Nabers drafted before Harrison. 

With Harbaugh's background, I agree it wouldn't be a shock if he goes trenches with his first pick, but the two top WRs are perhaps the best two players in the draft, so it will be tough for them to pass on one of them.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 09:13:32 AMAs you know, I listen to a lot of quality football podcasts.  I get a real sense that the NFL is really high on Nabers, to the point that it wouldn't shock me to see Nabers drafted before Harrison. 

With Harbaugh's background, I agree it wouldn't be a shock if he goes trenches with his first pick, but the two top WRs are perhaps the best two players in the draft, so it will be tough for them to pass on one of them.

I think that's correct. The Chargers have invested a lot in their O line, and their receivers are aging (Allen) and injury prone and inconsistent (Williams). Getting a top shelf X guy will be hard to pass up, I agree.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 01, 2024, 09:31:21 AMI think that's correct. The Chargers have invested a lot in their O line, and their receivers are aging (Allen) and injury prone and inconsistent (Williams). Getting a top shelf X guy will be hard to pass up, I agree.

Harbaugh has said that the best thing he can do for Herbert is provide him with a good running game.  Harbaugh believes that starts in the trenches.  I believe the Chargers will draft OL at 5 with a lot of input from Greg Roman on the type of OL he may want.  I think they have a similar problem as the Giants in that their top OL plays OLT, right?  They need help on the right side if I am not mistaken.

I believe Nabers will be an option for the Giants at 6 and that Joe Alt may not.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on March 01, 2024, 09:36:26 AMHarbaugh has said that the best thing he can do for Herbert is provide him with a good running game.  Harbaugh believes that starts in the trenches.  I believe the Chargers will draft OL at 5 with a lot of input from Greg Roman on the type of OL he may want.  I think they have a similar problem as the Giants in that their top OL plays OLT, right?  They need help on the right side if I am not mistaken.

I believe Nabers will be an option for the Giants at 6 and that Joe Alt may not.

If we're not drafting a QB and Nabers is there at 6, he'd be tough to pass up. Odunze is impressive for sure and does bring certain attributes to the table that Nabers doesn't, but the same can be said about Nabers. His tape really pops for me and has all year. The guy is flat out explosive and can seriously separate. His moves in the open field are also second to none.

Hadron

Can the team grab a guy like Alt after spending a top 7 pick on Neal two years ago (and trying to flip him to the right side)? The Giants have an All-Pro LT in Andrew Thomas.

WR at 6? That tells me they're invested in Jones for at least another year. JJ? Well, that means the team is starting over...again. I can live with either of those picks if they are decisive about the QB position.

QB hell? Yep.

This team needs another pass rusher.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

If Maye and Daniels are gone, I'd pick Odunze. I think he will be there. Then I'd move up from the second round for Nix, Penix or McMarthy. I'm warming up on McC. I'll be more committed by Sunday Morning. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

We can answer this more definitevly in a month. I think the Giants will sign two offensive lineman in free agency making the odds of a first round OL remote. If not a QB than receiver. Though they might sign a receiver as well in Free agency. Also it depends if Barkley moves on freeing up the money for him to be used on other assets.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on March 01, 2024, 10:43:04 AMWe can answer this more definitevly in a month. I think the Giants will sign two offensive lineman in free agency making the odds of a first round OL remote. If not a QB than receiver. Though they might sign a receiver as well in Free agency. Also it depends if Barkley moves on freeing up the money for him to be used on other assets.

If history is any indicator, the Giants will work free agency to the point where there shouldn't be any glaring holes that scream to be filled in the draft.  That will allow them the needed flexibility in the draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

Given Harbaugh's statements about wanting to establish a running game plus the need to keep a high priced QB heathy, I'm expecting the Chargers to draft an OT.  The Michigan ran the ball should say something about his thinking. I also don't expect the Giants to overdraft Evan Neal at least with the 1st pick this year; they'll give him time to play better and hopefully stay healthy.  It would also help if they sign a good OG in free agency to play next to him.

That said, there seems to lots of OTs and WRs in this draft that are highly rated. If the Chargers think they can find what they need in round 2 or if Schoen thinks he can find his #1 WR or QB or OT in round 2, he might gamble.  IF, on the other hand, Nabers is the second coming of Jamar Chase as some seem to think, that would be a special pick here assuming the QBs go the expected way and JJ not that high.  Maybe a trade back?

Painter

The more I "hear" is that the next wag I read will have suggested something different from that advanced by someone ten minutes earlier. For example, a few minutes ago, I read Pro Football Network's latest Mockery headlined: How High Does Marvin Harrison Jr. Rise and How Far Does Jayden Daniels Fall?

Of course, before we get to answer, we are told that Jayden Daniels will fall to Atlanta with the 8th pick. So, that suggests that Our Heroes are either not quite so enthralled with Daniels, or have no interest in using their No.6 on a QB, nor in trading up with the Pats who apparently choose to see Marvin Harrison as allowing them to stick with Mac-the other-Jones.

What we might also find interesting is that starting with the Pats and Harrison, and finishing with the Giants and Odunze, it's 4 Receivers in a row (Nabers to Az, Bowers to LAC) in support of the current QBs.

I must say that I'm surprised to see that there is no 4th QB- McCarthy or otherwise- predicted for Denver, Vegas, Pittsburg, or even Minny.

As for no Joe Alt to the Giants, as satisfying as it might otherwise be, it not surprising. But, of course, that could change over the next 9 weeks depending on which of 416 Mock Drafts we chose for our own.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on March 01, 2024, 11:47:24 AMThe more I "hear" is that the next wag I read will have suggested something different from that advanced by someone ten minutes earlier. For example, a few minutes ago, I read Pro Football Network's latest Mockery headlined: How High Does Marvin Harrison Jr. Rise and How Far Does Jayden Daniels Fall?

Of course, before we get to answer, we are told that Jayden Daniels will fall to Atlanta with the 8th pick. So, that suggests that Our Heroes are either not quite so enthralled with Daniels, or have no interest in using their No.6 on a QB, nor in trading up with the Pats who apparently choose to see Marvin Harrison as allowing them to stick with Mac-the other-Jones.

What we might also find interesting is that starting with the Pats and Harrison, and finishing with the Giants and Odunze, it's 4 Receivers in a row (Nabers to Az, Bowers to LAC) in support of the current QBs.

I must say that I'm surprised to see that there is no 4th QB- McCarthy or otherwise- predicted for Denver, Vegas, Pittsburg, or even Minny.

As for no Joe Alt to the Giants, as satisfying as it might otherwise be, it not surprising. But, of course, that could change over the next 9 weeks depending on which of 416 Mock Drafts we chose for our own.

Cheers!

Larry,

I think what you left out is that I am quite critical in terms of who I listen to.  Any source I listen to has been screened like a court screen and expert witness.  PFN is not a source that has made my cut.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE