News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

QB Caleb Williams refuses the Combine medicals

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 09:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 02:55:33 PMTeam sports, by their very nature, requires a degree of conformity by the participants

On the field and in the facility for sure but in this case none of the "red flags" have anything to do with football directly. Dahani Jones was a free spirit who did things his own way away from the facility and no one had issues with him because he showed uo in shape and played hard.

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on March 01, 2024, 04:25:35 PMOn the field and in the facility for sure but in this case none of the "red flags" have anything to do with football directly. Dahani Jones was a free spirit who did things his own way away from the facility and no one had issues with him because he showed uo in shape and played hard.

Dhani Jones' free spirit was linited to things like playibg saxophone, classical piano and writing poetry and wearing bow ties.   That does not sound like  Caleb Williams.

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 03:41:24 PM

In the Pac-12 Championship Game against Utah, which ultimately ended in a USC loss, Williams had again painted "F--- Utah" on his nails.

Caleb Williams cries in mom's arms after loss

Now he refuses to participate in the Combine Medical (an NFL first)

One thing you learn in management is that patterns of minor offense can be just as damning as a more significant offense.  Taken in isolation none of these issues are really significant.  Taken as a whole, you really start to wonder about this young man.

Football is a team sport.  Team sports are about sacrificing the individual for the team goals (the old "there is no "I" in team"

Ha. It would be hilarious if the Giants happened to land Williams. Just to see the reaction from the sometimes very stodgy fan base would be worth it just for that. I remember the Giants fans making fun of fur coated Joe Namath while the Giants had superstar Gary Wood as their QB. Oh the dark days.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on March 01, 2024, 05:18:14 PMHa. It would be hilarious if the Giants happened to land Williams. Just to see the reaction from the sometimes very stodgy fan base would be worth it just for that. I remember the Giants fans making fun of fur coated Joe Namath while the Giants had superstar Gary Wood as their QB. Oh the dark days.

So you are okay with a QB who gives me the other team bulletin board material by painting FU on his nails and then cries on his mommy's shoulder when the team beat him?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 05:21:11 PMSo you are okay with a QB who gives me the other team bulletin board material by painting FU on his nails and then cries on his mommy's shoulder when the team beat him?
If he backs up his talk with his play,yeah. If he talks the talk but can't walk the walk, no. That's on him.  Back to Namath. He boasted he would beat the Colts despite being a heavy underdog. Talk about  bulletin board material. But he did it. Of the kid has the confidence to get it done, that's all good. And stop with the crying to Mama junk. We all have to be so macho or we are diminished. He's a kid!

Philosophers

No agent.  No Combine medical tests.  If he is doing this because Chicago has made a verbal commitment to him, then he's also naive.  NFL team verbals mean nothing.

No thanks.

DaveBrown74

Funny how there is a whole thread here continuously bashing a player we have virtually a zero percent chance of getting.

uconnjack8

All of these things may end up being a nothing burger, but if I were about to make him the face of my franchise I would definitely take notice.

It's a bit different to have a QB who is  non-conforming or a diva or whatever you want to call it, than any other player on the team. 

There has been more than one physically gifted QB whose personality was off-putting and ultimately limited success.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 01, 2024, 06:13:32 PMFunny how there is a whole thread here continuously bashing a player we have virtually a zero percent chance of getting.

Why is that funny?  I think consensus top picks are picked apart on this forum annually.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on March 01, 2024, 06:09:59 PMNo agent.  No Combine medical tests.  If he is doing this because Chicago has made a verbal commitment to him, then he's also naive.  NFL team verbals mean nothing.

No thanks.
Don't think if given the opportunity Schoen will say no thanks.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 01, 2024, 06:32:14 PMWhy is that funny?  I think consensus tip picks are picked apart on this forum annually.

My memory must be bad. I don't really recall anything like this in recent past years.

Rosehill Jimmy

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 01, 2024, 06:13:32 PMFunny how there is a whole thread here continuously bashing a player we have virtually a zero percent chance of getting.

We're questioning his decisions and maturity.  I'd save the word bashing to the threads about DJ.

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on March 01, 2024, 05:15:26 PMDhani Jones' free spirit was linited to things like playibg saxophone, classical piano and writing poetry and wearing bow ties.   That does not sound like  Caleb Williams.

Once the season ended he ghosted his teammates and was only at the facility when he was obligated to. In addition to the things you mentioned he would spend his offseason traveling the world. My point is that no one cares what you do in your free time as long as you show up, in shape and ball out.

MightyGiants

Pat Kirwan just crushed Caleb Williams...
bw in dc : 3:40 pm
I'm a big fan of Pat on NFL Radio and he's not a guy who says things for shock value.

But CW's actions at the Combine really troubled him. I'm paraphrasing, but here is the gist:

- The comments about Chicago sound rehearsed and phony. And other GMs felt similarly.

- Not doing the medical is a red flag and reflects on CW's decision making in general. Just not acting like a grown up.

- Comes off too much like he plays an individual sport, not a team sport.

- Concerned that the $10M in NIL money might not be the best thing because it could change his perspective about what's expected of him as an NFL QB.

- Thinks CW's actions here could create an opening for Daniels to get even closer to the #1 pick.

Just some more perspective to consider from a guy with 30+ years of NFL experience...

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=643728
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE