News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

QB Caleb Williams refuses the Combine medicals

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 09:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 02, 2024, 09:45:19 AMSeeing how you said you hope the Giants draft him (at least that is the assumption I made when you said you hope he drops into the Giants' laps), how he plays is the relevant issue, not where he is drafted.
I'm not the Giants GM. If he falls to the Giants do you think Schoen drafts him or passes on him?

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 02, 2024, 05:32:29 AMIs it your position that Williams will be a Ryan Leaf type bust?

I never said that and I never suggested it.  I only used him as an example of a player who had clear bad intangible qualities which seemingly were ignored.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on March 02, 2024, 10:01:08 AMI'm not the Giants GM. If he falls to the Giants do you think Schoen drafts him or passes on him?

Yes, with the red flags, I would rather see Schoen make a trade or at worse pass on him.  Those red flags raise serious concerns for me.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on March 02, 2024, 10:05:19 AMI never said that and I never suggested it.  I only used him as an example of a player who had clear bad intangible qualities which seemingly were ignored.

Fair enough. I wasn't sure, hence why I asked.

I am curious though - what kind of career do you think Williams will have in the NFL?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 02, 2024, 10:08:19 AMFair enough. I wasn't sure, hence why I asked.

I am curious though - what kind of career do you think Williams will have in the NFL?

There are two recent QBs with similar issues.  Lamar Jackson who has put up a ton of personal stats and earned lots of personal honors while struggling to bring success to his talented teams in the playoffs and Dwayne Haskins who crashed and burned before his untimely passing.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 02, 2024, 10:08:19 AMFair enough. I wasn't sure, hence why I asked.

I am triangulating a few different things and believe he will not live up to his drafted position. 

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 02, 2024, 10:07:00 AMYes, with the red flags, I would rather see Schoen make a trade or at worse pass on him.  Those red flags raise serious concerns for me.
Okay thanks.it won't matter anyway because, unless something criminal comes up, despite the red flags, Williams will be the first player picked. Do you doubt tha

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on March 02, 2024, 10:44:29 AMOkay thanks.it won't matter anyway because, unless something criminal comes up, despite the red flags, Williams will be the first player picked. Do you doubt tha

Yes.

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on March 02, 2024, 11:10:28 AMI got an answer. Thanks.

Sure thing.  My other prediction is his NFL career does not produce at the expectations most here have.

Now you have me on the hook for two predictions.

MightyGiants

It would not surprise me if Caleb's draft stock takes a tumble now that teams are getting to talk to him

https://x.com/ChaseDaniel/status/1763657170422575120?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 02, 2024, 11:34:58 AMIt would not surprise me if Caleb's draft stock takes a tumble now that teams are getting to talk to him

https://x.com/ChaseDaniel/status/1763657170422575120?s=20

What would a tumble be? Like out of the top five?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 02, 2024, 12:47:21 PMWhat would a tumble be? Like out of the top five?

Hard to say, maybe go 1 to 3, maybe lower.  It really depends on how bad the interviews go.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

One thing I want to say is that although I said earlier that I think Caleb Williams will not live up to the expectations in the NFL that many are saying, it is not because he does not have the physical talent.  Clearly (at least to me) he does have all the physical talent.  What I am concerned about with him is that for so long he has been told he is the "chosen one".  Unless he has the humility to let all those compliments bounce off him and continue to think he has to work every day at his craft and listen to everyone, players with those type of comments tend to get big heads.  They start to think they have all the answers already.

One player who comes to mind who was like that was Chase Young.  He was told at Ohio State that he's better than the Bosa brothers, that he's all world, can't miss, etc.  I saw Young disappear in games and take plays off at the end of his last season which told me he did not have the heart of either Bosa brother, both of whom have had much better NFL careers.