News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

QB Caleb Williams refuses the Combine medicals

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 09:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

Quote from: T200 on March 01, 2024, 11:16:15 AMI thought he said:

People do this every draft. Hope to diminish a prospect. It would be great if it worked and he fell to the Giants. It won't. He's going number one.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 01, 2024, 11:16:15 AMI thought he said:

What does that even mean?  NFL team doctors conduct the physicals (and there are scans involved) at the Combine.  How does a team that interviews him exactly "have his physical"?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 11:26:24 AMWhat does that even mean?  NFL team doctors conduct the physicals (and there are scans involved) at the Combine.  How does a team that interviews him exactly "have his physical"?
I am not familiar with the process. This is just my interpretation of what he said:

He's going to do the medical evaluations but they are not available to every team. He and his team will provide the results to only those teams he interviews with.

Or... he will only do the evaluations for the teams that he meets with.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 10:45:23 AMWhat is the advantage of refusing the physicals?

Is that any different than coming out and telling the Chargers that you will never play for them under any circumstances?

Kid is from DC. He probably wants to play close to home and is trying to annoy the Bears into making that happen. The reality is that dropping from 1 to 2 overall is going to cost him a not insignificant amount of money. Criticize him all you want. He's willing to put his money where his mouth is, quite literally.

I'd also point out that players medical profiles are leaked every damn year forcing the player in question to answer to the media about it. Why do the Kansas Chiefs need to see his physical, and would you be fine with having your own personal medical records given to dozens of teams when in reality there are only going to be two or three teams with a realistic chance of drafting him? No one else needs to know and if they want to trade up they can ask him to take a physical.

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on March 01, 2024, 12:32:32 PMIs that any different than coming out and telling the Chargers that you will never play for them under any circumstances?

Kid is from DC. He probably wants to play close to home and is trying to annoy the Bears into making that happen. The reality is that dropping from 1 to 2 overall is going to cost him a not insignificant amount of money. Criticize him all you want. He's willing to put his money where his mouth is, quite literally.

I'd also point out that players medical profiles are leaked every damn year forcing the player in question to answer to the media about it. Why do the Kansas Chiefs need to see his physical, and would you be fine with having your own personal medical records given to dozens of teams when in reality there are only going to be two or three teams with a realistic chance of drafting him? No one else needs to know and if they want to trade up they can ask him to take a physical.

and @T200

I have hired a lot of people in my lifetime.  I have learned (through hard-earned experience) not to ignore the red flags.  It may seem harsh and unreasonable to ding people for things, but more often than not, if you ignore the red flag, you will regret it. 

https://x.com/ProFootballDoc/status/1763616785092210978?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

He does seem to be a control...freak may be too strong a word, so let's just say, a controller. As under the circumstances, what he chooses to do- while somewhat "rich" for a USC QB- and perhaps enmity stirring, are of no interest or concern to this Giants fan.

Cheers!

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 12:36:15 PMand @T200

I have hired a lot of people in my lifetime.  I have learned (through hard-earned experience) not to ignore the red flags.  It may seem harsh and unreasonable to ding people for things, but more often than not, if you ignore the red flag, you will regret it. 

I was just commenting about how I received/interpreted his comments about the physicals. No judgment.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Hadron

QuoteThe teams that I go to for my interview, those teams will have my medical...

That's not him refusing medicals. That's him saying he's only going to open himself to such things with teams that are realistically able to draft him. Words are important.

Why are people getting bent out of shape about him not participating in the Underwear Olympics?

uconnjack8

He is the first person to refuse the medicals at the combine.  It's a bit odd to say the least. 

sooners56

Quote from: Philosophers on March 01, 2024, 09:39:31 AMSorry but many here keep defending Caleb Williams as being mature.  He is a QB, the most heavily invested position in the NFL.  Teams have to take him apart to ensure he is fine medically and every other way.  This is another red flag to me.  As I have said before, my USC booster friends say to stay away from him.  He has gotten very entitled they have said.

Ha! College boosters saying someone feels entitled? Talk about an Oxymoron 😂
Has anyone heard of any teammate, coach, friend or family member say anything negative about Williams?
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Philosophers

Quote from: sooners56 on March 01, 2024, 01:52:05 PMHa! College boosters saying someone feels entitled? Talk about an Oxymoron 😂
Has anyone heard of any teammate, coach, friend or family member say anything negative about Williams?

So your point is what, all affluent people feel entitled?

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 12:36:15 PMand @T200

I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. I don't see this as a red flag or his decision to bypass hiring an agent as well. He's doing things differently because he has leverage. I guess people are big on conformity....

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on March 01, 2024, 02:54:20 PMI guess we will agree to disagree on this one. I don't see this as a red flag or his decision to bypass hiring an agent as well. He's doing things differently because he has leverage. I guess people are big on conformity....

Team sports, by their very nature, requires a degree of conformity by the participants
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: madbadger on March 01, 2024, 02:54:20 PMI guess we will agree to disagree on this one. I don't see this as a red flag or his decision to bypass hiring an agent as well. He's doing things differently because he has leverage. I guess people are big on conformity....
We can only hope these "red flags" drop Williams into the Giants lap. Of course that won't happen. All this hand wringing isn't going to change a thing. He's going number 1.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on March 01, 2024, 03:20:17 PMWe can only hope these "red flags" drop Williams into the Giants lap. Of course that won't happen. All this hand wringing isn't going to change a thing. He's going number 1.

In the Pac-12 Championship Game against Utah, which ultimately ended in a USC loss, Williams had again painted "F--- Utah" on his nails.

Caleb Williams cries in mom's arms after loss

Now he refuses to participate in the Combine Medical (an NFL first)

One thing you learn in management is that patterns of minor offense can be just as damning as a more significant offense.   Taken in isolation none of these issues are really significant.  Taken as a whole, you really start to wonder about this young man.

Football is a team sport.  Team sports are about sacrificing the individual for the team goals (the old "there is no "I" in team"

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE