News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Minor red flag for to top LSU prospects

Started by MightyGiants, March 02, 2024, 11:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

https://x.com/FieldYates/status/1763969118548484423?s=20

Daniels' weight is a real concern so his failure to weigh in is troubling

As for Nabers, I have no idea why he skipped this

https://x.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1763967940787855610?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Daniels has a NBA frame..that is probably the biggest concern-his durability. He uses his athleticism to great advantage, but you're going to get popped too

To become elite in the league, you have to outgrow your tendency to run at the position, deliver from the pocket over the middle and get up. And he's not a Josh Allen-type that can stand pounding currently. JD has to add to his frame, naturally.

DaveBrown74

If they get measured in the pro day AND run the 40 again this won't bother me. I won't love it if they run the 40 at the combine, don't weigh in, and then weigh in at the pro day but skip the speed drills. That would look like they're gaming the system.

With all of the above said, if we could somehow get Daniels I'd be ecstatic. I think he's the real deal and has a very solid chance of being a franchise-changing pick. I don't think he escapes the top two, personally.

spiderblue43

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 02, 2024, 01:07:56 PMIf they get measured in the pro day AND run the 40 again this won't bother me. I won't love it if they run the 40 at the combine, don't weigh in, and then weigh in at the pro day but skip the speed drills. That would look like they're gaming the system.

With all of the above said, if we could somehow get Daniels I'd be ecstatic. I think he's the real deal and has a very solid chance of being a franchise-changing pick. I don't think he escapes the top two, personally.

Dave,

I was amazed by JD watching him last year. His speed with scrambles, elusiveness and home run ball talent was a highlight show every week. And he had to overcome adversity a lot with that toothless Tigers D to his credit.

I agree that he'll be long gone before our pick 6. Not worried either about his measurables (or Nabers) but it's obvious his frame is a concern, but hardly a red flag. 

:notworthy:  If they don't run and waltz through their pro day, that's a problem.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 02, 2024, 01:07:56 PMIf they get measured in the pro day AND run the 40 again this won't bother me. I won't love it if they run the 40 at the combine, don't weigh in, and then weigh in at the pro day but skip the speed drills. That would look like they're gaming the system.

Jeff,

Look at the measurements of players from the Senior or Shrine Bowls and compare them to the Combine measurements.  They are different.  Former Giants scout Greg Gabriel talks about how there is an art to taking proper measurements.  The people and the Combine are the best and the gold standard when it comes to measurements.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Funny you mention that.  Thought I heard they changed the format this year so that weight and height was done the same day as running drills.  The idea being that guys would drink a bunch of water and over eat on weigh-in day to show a few extra pounds.   By moving that to the same day as running its unlikely anyone would try that.

The point you raise might be exactly what they are doing.

Bob In PA

This issue has been on my radar for a while.

It's part of my general concern that it would be EXTREMELY unlikely two players from the same college team (a QB and his top WR) are BOTH worth spending a top ten first round pick.

The problem is... I have no idea which of them benefited more by having played with the other.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!