News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How will our new DC and his scheme impact

Started by andrew_nyGiants, March 02, 2024, 11:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Our back 7?

Will we be playing a lot more zone?

Does this move Thibs to a more traditional DE?

I'm reading that he won't blitz nearly as much and that he's more of a 4-3 DC.

Educate me fellow fanatics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Philosophers

Everything I have read so far suggests that he does not want to generate pressure from the back 7-8 players, but from the front 3-4.  He wants the front 3-4 linemen to always be going at the QB, not controlling gaps.  That suggests a 1 gap style for the DL.

I have to think if that's what he wants to do, then as you asked, Kayvon will move up to DE.  Giants will need another DE on opposite side plus a DT alongside Lawrence.

I think he is going to want LBs who cover more and can run around rather than large downhill fill holes type LBs.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on March 03, 2024, 10:31:08 AMEverything I have read so far suggests that he does not want to generate pressure from the back 7-8 players, but from the front 3-4.  He wants the front 3-4 linemen to always be going at the QB, not controlling gaps.  That suggests a 1 gap style for the DL.

I have to think if that's what he wants to do, then as you asked, Kayvon will move up to DE.  Giants will need another DE on opposite side plus a DT alongside Lawrence.

I think he is going to want LBs who cover more and can run around rather than large downhill fill holes type LBs.

I would agree.  I think Okereke works for that type of system.  Not sure where that puts the other guys.

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 03, 2024, 10:34:05 AMI would agree.  I think Okereke works for that type of system.  Not sure where that puts the other guys.

Yeah I think Okereke will be fine as well.  Do you think they have to revamp  their entire LB corps other than Okereke especially if they move Kayvon up to DE?

DaveBrown74

So we're going back to lots of zone, bend but don't break, and being a sieve between the 20s?

I'm not a big fan of that style, but as long as it keeps enough points off the board for us to have a chance to win, then whatever works I guess.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 03, 2024, 10:50:06 AMSo we're going back to lots of zone, bend but don't break, and being a sieve between the 20s?

I'm not a big fan of that style, but as long as it keeps enough points off the board for us to have a chance to win, then whatever works I guess.

Daboll called it more of an attacking style than Winks "read and react". 

I guess that's the 1 gap vs 2 gap on the line, but the rest is where I wonder.

Really my biggest question and what should be Daboll's biggest concern, does the current personnel, plus a couple of offseason acquisitions, have what is needed to succeed in the new scheme?

If the defense regresses this year and the offense doesnt make a huge improvement,  I think the Daboll era will be over.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 03, 2024, 10:50:06 AMSo we're going back to lots of zone, bend but don't break, and being a sieve between the 20s?

I think bend but don't break is different than just having your DL generate the pass rush and telling them your focus is on the QB.

I think of bend but don't break as more about pass coverages.  No man to man and more zone and keeping the pass catcher in front of you where he may catch the ball but not get extra yards.