News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If Giants Want A QB, Broncos Cutting Wilson Becomes Top Threat

Started by Philosophers, March 05, 2024, 09:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

I think the Broncos won't go into the 2024 season with a journeyman QB.  Payton wants one he can bring along.  By cutting Wilson, I read that the Broncos have to absorb $85 million of dead cap money.  I am sure Payton did not do himself any favors with Broncos ownership with that so he needs to make a splash for self-preservation. I think they may be the team that gets irrational with say an aggressive trade package to move up into top 4-5 to block the Giants who most likely would take a QB.  Unless teams toss in say 2 non-QB players among first five picks, the Giants could be on the outside.  I believe strongly the Chargers won't take a QB, but they might be most willing to trade out of their pick making the Broncos or another team go there.

EDjohnst1981

I'd be very surprised if the Chargers traded places with a divisional rival knowing the Broncos want a QB.

ralphpal1

Ed Vette

I agree, it's a threat if the Giants want a particular top four QB. I don't see the Giants moving up and burning three seconds. They have too many holes to feed. Quite frankly they can take a chance on Nix or Penix or go later and draft a project like Milton and decide how long they want to go with Jones. There's no gun to their heads to be out after 24. They can make that decision after 25. If I were committed to Jones, that's what I would do. Move up from the second only a few spots and it it's not there, look at a Milton or Rattler. I would also bring in Wilson to compete with Jones and I think they can get him for a good one year deal.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 05, 2024, 10:00:23 AMI agree, it's a threat if the Giants want a particular top four QB. I don't see the Giants moving up and burning three seconds. They have too many holes to feed. Quite frankly they can take a chance on Nix or Penix or go later and draft a project like Milton and decide how long they want to go with Jones. There's no gun to their heads to be out after 24. They can make that decision after 25. If I were committed to Jones, that's what I would do. Move up from the second only a few spots and it it's not there, look at a Milton or Rattler. I would also bring in Wilson to compete with Jones and I think they can get him for a good one year deal.

My fear with Wilson is that his performance at end of Seahawsks tenure and now with Broncos was really not good.  Not sure he adds anything to the Giants other than experience.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on March 05, 2024, 10:03:33 AMMy fear with Wilson is that his performance at end of Seahawsks tenure and now with Broncos was really not good.  Not sure he adds anything to the Giants other than experience.
At worst, he's a better backup QB than what they had. If Wilson wants to stick it to the Broncos, he signs a Vet Minimum as someone else mentioned in another thread.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 05, 2024, 10:06:12 AMAt worst, he's a better backup QB than what they had. If Wilson wants to stick it to the Broncos, he signs a Vet Minimum as someone else mentioned in another thread.

For the Giants to sign Wilson to a vet minimum deal, they would have to break character and not play well with others in the NFL sandbox

https://x.com/AndrewBrandt/status/1764803826958151969?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

files58

The Broncos made their bed. I don't believe in all this collegiality stuff between franchises. If I owned a franchise it would mean my fortune would have been made by other means. Yes I would make ooodles of money, but would hardly be dependent on it. My sole purpose as an owner would be to WIN. Why would you sign Wilson for anything more than vet minimum when the Broncs are on the hook for $39MM? Outwardly at owners meeting I would smile, shake hands, pass the caviar, and secretly try to buy the real estate under Jerry's palace. Ruthless, like Bobby Axelrod from Billions. Maybe that's why he was denied a franchise on the show. However I would try to befriend Jim Irsay in order to see if he would sell me Jerry Garcia's Tiger guitar. He owns it.

Fletch

Yikes

QuoteBy releasing Russell Wilson, the Broncos will take on an NFL-record $85 MILLION in dead cap.

It&#39;s the largest dead cap hit in league history—bigger than the previous two records combined. pic.twitter.com/Z64uAk7DCv</p>&mdash; Front Office Sports (@FOS) March 4, 2024
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

EDjohnst1981

That's a whopping tag but Wilson hasn't lived up to what they wanted.

So they cut bait rather than returning to the well with a busted flush at QB.

LennG

I would take Wilson in a heartbeat at Vet minimum. That's about all we could pay him. How do we even know Jones is ready on day one? PLUS, Jones never had any real competition for his job. It was handed to him and he never had to worry about starting after that. Maybe a Wilson could light a fire under him as he would be playing for his football life with the Giants.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on March 05, 2024, 01:57:34 PMI would take Wilson in a heartbeat at Vet minimum. That's about all we could pay him. How do we even know Jones is ready on day one? PLUS, Jones never had any real competition for his job. It was handed to him and he never had to worry about starting after that. Maybe a Wilson could light a fire under him as he would be playing for his football life with the Giants.

Vet minimum? That's $915k. Obviously anyone would take him at that price. That's Tommy DeVito type money.

There will be a legit market for Wilson, but it's unclear to me exactly what it will be. He also might decide to wait for someone to get hurt if he doesn't like the offers.

MightyGiants

I think what's lost on the Russel Wilson discussion is that the team that signs him (assuming he wants to sign with a team this season) may not have to pay him a lot of money (and that money is offset, so Wilson doesn't see more money this season), BUT that also means that Russel Wilson will decide which team he wants to play for.

If you were the Giants GM, sell Russel Wilson on why he should sign her rather than say the Steelers, Panthers, Bucs (maybe), Vikings, or Raiders?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ralphpal1

The redskins should sign him and let the QB they draft sit behind him for 1 year

londonblue

Wilson's recent tape is not great. His locker room reputation is not great. At vet minimum/very cheap you kick the tires as it is not impossible he can return to better performance but you'd want to sound out your locker room leaders before making any move. A bad team in a rebuild with HC under pressure needs unity not division. I don't see it myself tbh but the Giants will have more information and insight than me.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.