News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If Giants Want A QB, Broncos Cutting Wilson Becomes Top Threat

Started by Philosophers, March 05, 2024, 09:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Heard on the radio that some think Wilson will be looking for a 1 year deal somewhere to show he can still play and hope for a bigger contract the following year. 

Personally I don't see the Giants as a great place for him to accomplish that if that's what he wants to do. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 06, 2024, 10:42:19 AMHeard on the radio that some think Wilson will be looking for a 1 year deal somewhere to show he can still play and hope for a bigger contract the following year. 

Personally I don't see the Giants as a great place for him to accomplish that if that's what he wants to do. 

I am not sure what the Giants would gain from a one year deal. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2024, 12:51:49 PMI am not sure what the Giants would gain from a one year deal. 

I agree, Rich.  If the Giants don't draft a QB this year, I'd rather field a team capable of securing a QB in 2025.  Even if the Giants do draft thier QB in 2024, I'd rather he or DJ play to afford the Giants the opportunity to draft the BPA in 2025. In short, I view 2025 as a reasonable season for the Giants to be competitive; I don't have those aspirations for 2024.

From mid-to-long term strategy, I'd forgo any 1-year QB deals; obviously, this doesn't include the backup. 

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2024, 12:51:49 PMI am not sure what the Giants would gain from a one year deal. 

Totally agree.  TBH, I don't see what signing Russell Wilson to any deal really does for the Giants.  It's not like signing him makes them a contender.

Fletch

I think the naysayers are more interested in building a roster first and looking for a QB later; no matter who the QB is. There were so many great QB options last year, this year too with Wilson and a QB heavy draft class

Instead we're just going to stick it out with Jones for us to build this mythological great team , and then get a QB. Who knows if any will be available; let alone how much Jones would drag down this mythological great team. Not to mention, can you imagine having a rookie QB when everyone is wondering if he is a bust or not while you have an all pro defense or WR corp or whatever.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Fletch on March 06, 2024, 02:00:39 PMI think the naysayers are more interested in building a roster first and looking for a QB later; no matter who the QB is. There were so many great QB options last year, this year too with Wilson and a QB heavy draft class

The Panthers were in a terrible position to draft and develop a QB.  Yet, they traded up to the first pick in the draft and drafted Bryce Young.  How did that work out?

Consider some of the top QBs drafted by teams not prepared to develop a QB

Jags too Trever Lawerence who had one trip the playoffs and Lawerence hasn't lived up to his pre-draft billing

The Chargers took Herbert.   One trip (and no wins) to the playoffs, they are even drafting ahead of the Giants this season.

The Bengals took Burrow and even gave him a few weapons.  They made one trip to the Super Bowl (only to lose), and Burrow seems to be hurt more than he is healthy.

You can see the Giants and DJ, you can see the Jets and Zach Wilson/Sam Darnold, you can see the Bears and Justin Fields, I could name more, but I think I made my point
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Fletch

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2024, 02:20:50 PMThe Panthers were in a terrible position to draft and develop a QB.  Yet, they traded up to the first pick in the draft and drafted Bryce Young.  How did that work out?

Consider some of the top QBs drafted by teams not prepared to develop a QB

Jags too Trever Lawerence who had one trip the playoffs and Lawerence hasn't lived up to his pre-draft billing

The Chargers took Herbert.   One trip (and no wins) to the playoffs, they are even drafting ahead of the Giants this season.

Also it is far too early to tell about what the Panthers did, or if they just drafted a bust.
The Bengals took Burrow and even gave him a few weapons.  They made one trip to the Super Bowl (only to lose), and Burrow seems to be hurt more than he is healthy.

You can see the Giants and DJ, you can see the Jets and Zach Wilson/Sam Darnold, you can see the Bears and Justin Fields, I could name more, but I think I made my point

So Daniel jones is in the same conversation with Joe Burrow; Herbert; and Trevor Lawrence now? Well they didn't win any Super Bowls just like Jones so that is the end of that :ok:

Not to mention Zak Wilson was a back-up last year, and he is a better QB than Jones ; so is Darnold for that matter.

Fletch

Just to piggyback the SB or bust theory ....There are only 3 QBs still playing or 2 if you will —that have won a  SB(s)....Mahomes obviously.

Then there is A Rodgers who is 40 and played four snaps last season. Then  there is Russ Wilson  who just got cut. Sooo not a very good barometer at all @ mighty