News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

No tag for Barkley or Mckinney

Started by MightyGiants, March 05, 2024, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I'm totally supportive of each decision for both players.

Barkley is open and shut obvious. $12mm is way more than he's worth in today's market. Pure and simple.

McKinney is a bit more controversial, but at the end of the day, like Barkley, he plays a non-premium position, so getting locked down for a material sum when we have other options at the position and we have such other glaring needs seems like a mistake.

I suspect they really want to address the O line (and possibly D line or edge) in free agency, and the above players are just less of a priority than this objective.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 05, 2024, 04:52:13 PMI'm totally supportive of each decision for both players.

Barkley is open and shut obvious. $12mm is way more than he's worth in today's market. Pure and simple.

McKinney is a bit more controversial, but at the end of the day, like Barkley, he plays a non-premium position, so getting locked down for a material sum when we have other options at the position and we have such other glaring needs seems like a mistake.

I suspect they really want to address the O line (and possibly D line or edge) in free agency, and the above players are just less of a priority than this objective.

Can't disagree. It's hard to discount the year XM had and he's still young. Is there a $ you would be willing to pay to keep him?  BTW , whatever we think a reasonable # might be, the reputation and track record of his agent would suggest it wouldn't be close to what he's looking for
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on March 05, 2024, 05:00:23 PMCan't disagree. It's hard to discount the year XM had and he's still young. Is there a $ you would be willing to pay to keep him?  BTW , whatever we think a reasonable # might be, the reputation and track record of his agent would suggest it wouldn't be close to what he's looking for

I think your last sentence hit the nail on the head. From what I have gathered, the perception is that there is a considerable gulf between what McKinney believes he deserves and what the Giants think the market will set for him.

Overpaying significantly for a player, especially at one of the more replaceable positions like safety or running back, is simply never a good idea. Given the stringent cap and all the needs of a team, that will always come back to haunt you in some way. I'd rather risk losing McKinney than overpay by a significant amount above the market value. We likely did that last year with Jones, and it obviously has been very harmful. I really doubt he would have gotten a similar contract from anyone else (obviously I can't prove that). Either way Schoen seems to have learned from this experience.

Is there a number I'd pay for McKinney? Yes, for sure. But I feel like it would be less than what the highest offer he gets will be, simply because I think we have bigger priorities right now. Our depth at safety isn't bad. We are downright bereft in other areas.

spiderblue43

Totally agree with both decisions. Barkley can't be trusted to stay healthy or get a third and short. Franchise tag didn't help much last year.

McKinney, a good player that plays a position the Giants will likely draft to bolster. Giants have to fix the OL first and foremost, can't afford what McKinney probably values himself

Rosehill Jimmy

I must admit to being conflicted about XMc.  I totally get the value aspect and in light of the many holes that need to be addressed, it's hard to justify allocating the $ he's probably looking for to the position.
OTOH, he's a good football player, didn't miss a snap in '23, young and homegrown.  When you are a talent deficient roster with so many guys missing so many games a part of me is reluctant to see one of the few good, reliable players walk
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

kingm56

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on March 05, 2024, 08:01:29 PMI must admit to being conflicted about XMc.  I totally get the value aspect and in light of the many holes that need to be addressed, it's hard to justify allocating the $ he's probably looking for to the position.
OTOH, he's a good football player, didn't miss a snap in '23, young and homegrown.  When you are a talent deficient roster with so many guys missing so many games a part of me is reluctant to see one of the few good, reliable players walk

I agree with both your posts, Jimmy.  Really good input.   

MightyGiants

I think if the Giants let both Barkley and McKinney walk (getting nothing in return), it only worsens the error Schoen made by not trading these guys before last season's trade deadline.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Tags are expensive and if they want the players back I think the tags are the worst way to do it. 

How does McKinney fit into Bowen's schemes?  Would hope if he is good fit,  and he is retained. Would also have hoped that they wouldn't hire a new DC who needs to purge young talent to make his defense work.

spiderblue43

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2024, 08:22:12 AMI think if the Giants let both Barkley and McKinney walk (getting nothing in return), it only worsens the error Schoen made by not trading these guys before last season's trade deadline.

Mighty,

I agree. I thought keeping Barkley made no sense at the trade deadline. McKinney isn't gone yet, however, but they should have been more aggressive to add draft capital in concert with the Leo move.