News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Thinking This May Be My Dream Scenario

Started by Philosophers, March 07, 2024, 09:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

I keep thinking that this draft is an either or proposition.  Draft a QB like JJ or Jayden Daniels at 6, but leave immense talent like Malik Nabers or Rome Odunze on the draft board to benefit other teams.  Now, I am wondering is the following.  What if the Giants draft a Malik Nabers first with pick 6, then somewhere around pick 10 (assuming a QB they covet like JJ or another) is still there, they trade up with their other 2024 draft assets and say a 2025 1st to pick that player?  Maybe do something like give up their 2nd second round pick, a third round pick and next years's 1st round pick.  That solves two of their most glaring holes - QB and WR.  If they sign say a Michael Onwenu at RG in free agency, they will have plugged another major hole, then can use their remaining draft capital on BPA with emphasis toward defensive side of the ball.  With these moves, the Giants can look at 2025 draft to be more defense heavy in terms of selections as they should have secured their QB and WR of the future now.

Ed Vette

Four QB's go off in the first ten picks. We've heard this before. It's also possible that Cousins and Wilson find a home with a QB needy team who doesn't want to trade up, and Baker Mayfield is locked up after last season's performance. At least one of these QB's can drop to where it won't cost the farm to move up.

Lamar Jackson was the 32nd pick. A lightweight running QB may hold teams off. After Jones's ACL, I don't see the Giants picking him.

Drake Maye will take a leap of faith based on the competition he faced and who he lost to and his avoiding the Combine and Mayo Bowl.

A lot of fans and Sportswriters are taking a victory lap on McCarthy. It remains to be seen.

If Williams doesn't go off as the first pick and it's another position, that could be an indication that this class was overhyped.

I get the feeling that one of the four will have a good career and a dark horse will wind up being a surprise and this year's CJ Straud.

Be that as it may, if I could trade down a couple of spots and still get either a Top Receiver or Tackle, I would and see about trading up from round two. I'm sure they can pick up a 2024 second and a third by trading down.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

I agree with your view, Ed including its ifs, ands, and whatevers. If given the opportunity, I can see them trading up for Daniels or grabbing him at 6 in the unlikely event. Otherwise, I don't see a place for McCarthy at 6 where the consensuses -yes, it's a plural- includes Nabers or Odunze at WR.

Of course, the Oline must be given comparable effort in FA and the Draft which I assume will be done along with IDL. My question then is will they try and be able to add a Nix or Pennix on Day 2? Frankly, I'm not keen on Rattler or anyone else after that.

Cheers!

files58

If injuries are a big deciding factor in moving aside from Jones how can the Giants then use a premium pick(2nd) on Pennix? He throws a beautiful ball, but those injuries scare me. When one looks at the Giants objectively it's hard to have any enthusiasm for their chances of winning given all their gaping roster holes, and the number of opportunities to fill them with just competence let alone upper level players.
How depressing is that?

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 07, 2024, 09:36:03 AMFour QB's go off in the first ten picks. We've heard this before. It's also possible that Cousins and Wilson find a home with a QB needy team who doesn't want to trade up, and Baker Mayfield is locked up after last season's performance. At least one of these QB's can drop to where it won't cost the farm to move up.

Lamar Jackson was the 32nd pick. A lightweight running QB may hold teams off. After Jones's ACL, I don't see the Giants picking him.

Drake Maye will take a leap of faith based on the competition he faced and who he lost to and his avoiding the Combine and Mayo Bowl.

A lot of fans and Sportswriters are taking a victory lap on McCarthy. It remains to be seen.

If Williams doesn't go off as the first pick and it's another position, that could be an indication that this class was overhyped.

I get the feeling that one of the four will have a good career and a dark horse will wind up being a surprise and this year's CJ Straud.

Be that as it may, if I could trade down a couple of spots and still get either a Top Receiver or Tackle, I would and see about trading up from round two. I'm sure they can pick up a 2024 second and a third by trading down.

My point is not trading up to 10th pick.  It's seeing a QB you covet fall somewhere then trading up. Could be 10, 15, 25, etc. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on March 07, 2024, 12:43:48 PMMy point is not trading up to 10th pick.  It's seeing a QB you covet fall somewhere then trading up. Could be 10, 15, 25, etc. 
And trading back a couple of slots would mitigate the cost of moving up from the Second, was my point.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 07, 2024, 12:55:10 PMAnd trading back a couple of slots would mitigate the cost of moving up from the Second, was my point.

Trading back does not probablybget you Nabers or Odunze.  My plan was to get one plus a QB

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on March 07, 2024, 01:00:23 PMTrading back does not probablybget you Nabers or Odunze.  My plan was to get one plus a QB
May not, possibly. Four QB's, two OT's, three WR's and an Edge. There will be a demand for the Edge market. That's 9-10 slots. It depends on how it goes off.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

If there is a quarterback available at 6 that they feel strongly about they should take him. This draft is very deep at OG and WR, so I'd love to see them take a receiver with their first second round pick and a guard with their second. Then move on the corner and edge in the third or fourth.

andrew_nyGiants

I don't think QB is in the cards until '25, unless they find a sleeper on day 2 or 3.

Building from the LOS is this years agenda IMO.

Don't agree nor disagree with it...JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

GloryDays

Many people think addressing your personnel in football, immediate and going forward needs, is like basketball!!
They are a world apart. If you sacrifice your whole draft plus part of the next year's, to get two players, your team will be a laughing stock and you as the GM. Also consider that each of these two high picks can fail, based on statistics and past history.
All teams, ALL, need to get some depth through the third day picks. Give away your second and third day picks?!!! :no:

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Philosophers on March 07, 2024, 09:10:25 AMI keep thinking that this draft is an either or proposition.  Draft a QB like JJ or Jayden Daniels at 6, but leave immense talent like Malik Nabers or Rome Odunze on the draft board to benefit other teams.  Now, I am wondering is the following.  What if the Giants draft a Malik Nabers first with pick 6, then somewhere around pick 10 (assuming a QB they covet like JJ or another) is still there, they trade up with their other 2024 draft assets and say a 2025 1st to pick that player?  Maybe do something like give up their 2nd second round pick, a third round pick and next years's 1st round pick.  That solves two of their most glaring holes - QB and WR.  If they sign say a Michael Onwenu at RG in free agency, they will have plugged another major hole, then can use their remaining draft capital on BPA with emphasis toward defensive side of the ball.  With these moves, the Giants can look at 2025 draft to be more defense heavy in terms of selections as they should have secured their QB and WR of the future now.

I do not totally disagree but I would not give up my first round pick in 2025, it is just my opinion

Philosophers

I think it would be tough to trade into 1st round without giving up mext year's 1st unless trading from say 37 to 30

jgrangers2

I'm just going to say that the price to move from 39 to 10 would be way higher than what you're projecting. Probably starts with both 2nd rounders this year and then first rounders in 2025 and 2026. There's a reason trade ups this far pretty much never happen. If you want the QB, you're gonna have to take them at 6.

Philosophers

Quote from: jgrangers2 on March 10, 2024, 01:33:58 PMI'm just going to say that the price to move from 39 to 10 would be way higher than what you're projecting. Probably starts with both 2nd rounders this year and then first rounders in 2025 and 2026. There's a reason trade ups this far pretty much never happen. If you want the QB, you're gonna have to take them at 6.

I was thinking more like moving up from 39 to 18th or 22nd, something like that.