News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wilson

Started by FL GMAN, March 08, 2024, 11:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL GMAN

Giants met with Russell Wilson in an exploratory conversation. Not a fan of Wilson or the Gmen considering him.

Ed Vette

They should consider all options
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Hadron

I vomited in my mouth.

:sick:

londonblue

A couple of writers on the Musk Mess social site raise an interesting scenario:

Sign Wilson vet minimum or Minishew/similar cheap
Draft best QB available R1
Cut Jones with post 1 June designation making it salary cap neutral this year & next vs cutting at end of season

It means $48m dead cap this year and $23m next but provides a clean break consistent with Rich Eisen's take on our thinking and gives Jones a chance to find a gig as a back-up/spot starter somewhere once fit.

Thoughts?
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

ralphpal1

Why cut Jones just to pay him? Also ,the way QBs get hurt
You never know. 

madbadger

Quote from: Hadron on March 08, 2024, 11:52:33 AMI vomited in my mouth.

:sick:

WTF? He's a hall of fame quarterback who, statistically, was in the upper third of all quarterbacks last year, despite having a dirtbag coach who tried to torpedo him constantly. lol

Gmo11

I don't think it makes a ton of sense to bring in a guy like Wilson who even with a down season would still be the best QB the Giants have had since Eli, because he's on the decline now and this is a team that should be looking to the future.

The good part of this to me is that the Giants are taking the idea that they need a new QB very seriously if they were going so far as to consider Wilson.  Which they should.  Because they don't currently have an even average QB on the roster.

zephirus

Quote from: madbadger on March 08, 2024, 12:50:06 PMWTF? He's a hall of fame quarterback who, statistically, was in the upper third of all quarterbacks last year, despite having a dirtbag coach who tried to torpedo him constantly. lol

Is this real?  My god do you have it all wrong about Russell Wilson.

Pete Carroll is the Hall of Famer, and Russell Wilson's career is a testament to Carroll's ability to take middling players and make them better.  Russell Wilson is an average passer who used to have some juice in his legs.  He throws an amazing deep ball.  He's durable and doesn't miss time.  He benefitted massively from a ground game featuring Marshawn Lynch and a defense that revolutionized against the modern passing games effectiveness.  The results since the "Let Russ Cook" campaign took effect haven't shown anything that would lead you to believe Wilson is a player capable of carrying a team.  He has passed for 4k yards only 4 times in a career spanning 12 years, a feat that many find rather pedestrian in today's game where passing yards come in massive chunks.

His abilites (and realities) as a player also don't highlight some of the "intangibles", which for Wilson aren't stellar.  His teammmates do NOT like him, and many former teammates have stated that with remarkable clarity.  They believe (and many) that he's a "me first" guy.  That he's more interested in being a power couple with Ciara than being a quality football player. The front office openly stated they couldn't wait to trade him and get him to the airport by the time his course had run in Seattle.  His lack of success in Denver only continues to highlight his deficiencies.  Sean Payton appears to be a terrible human being who is a good coach.  He couldn't make much out of Wilson and is moving on from him after a single year, despite the INSANE cap hit they're going to take.  That's not a glowing vote of confidence from either of his last 2 organizations.

I couldn't greet the news that the Giants met with him, even in just an exploratory phase with more disgust.  Please pass on this guy.  We already have a middling passer in Daniel Jones.  And for all his warts, he's a good teammate. 

Brooklyn Dave

The Steelers are a much better fit and that is where he will probably wind up

Jclayton92

You don't meet with Russell Wilson if you are happy with your QB situation. He's not signing somewhere to be a back, and the Giants know that.

spiderblue43

Quote from: ralphpal1 on March 08, 2024, 11:57:02 AMWhy cut Jones just to pay him? Also ,the way QBs get hurt
You never know. 

Getting hurt? Jones fits that bill without a hitch.

Painter

Quote from: FL GMAN on March 08, 2024, 11:38:48 AMGiants met with Russell Wilson in an exploratory conversation. Not a fan of Wilson or the Gmen considering him.

Nor am I. I'd prefer to think of it as "going through the motions" than a "considering of all options"

Cheers!

madbadger

Quote from: zephirus on March 08, 2024, 01:05:52 PMIs this real?  My god do you have it all wrong about Russell Wilson.

Pete Carroll is the Hall of Famer, and Russell Wilson's career is a testament to Carroll's ability to take middling players and make them better.  Russell Wilson is an average passer who used to have some juice in his legs.  He throws an amazing deep ball.  He's durable and doesn't miss time.  He benefitted massively from a ground game featuring Marshawn Lynch and a defense that revolutionized against the modern passing games effectiveness.  The results since the "Let Russ Cook" campaign took effect haven't shown anything that would lead you to believe Wilson is a player capable of carrying a team.  He has passed for 4k yards only 4 times in a career spanning 12 years, a feat that many find rather pedestrian in today's game where passing yards come in massive chunks.

His abilites (and realities) as a player also don't highlight some of the "intangibles", which for Wilson aren't stellar.  His teammmates do NOT like him, and many former teammates have stated that with remarkable clarity.  They believe (and many) that he's a "me first" guy.  That he's more interested in being a power couple with Ciara than being a quality football player. The front office openly stated they couldn't wait to trade him and get him to the airport by the time his course had run in Seattle.  His lack of success in Denver only continues to highlight his deficiencies.  Sean Payton appears to be a terrible human being who is a good coach.  He couldn't make much out of Wilson and is moving on from him after a single year, despite the INSANE cap hit they're going to take.  That's not a glowing vote of confidence from either of his last 2 organizations.

I couldn't greet the news that the Giants met with him, even in just an exploratory phase with more disgust.  Please pass on this guy.  We already have a middling passer in Daniel Jones.  And for all his warts, he's a good teammate.

Well if you said it than it must be 100% true. Coaches don't make players, they can only hamper them. I remember dolts trying to claim that Belichek was the real genius not Brady. How'd that work out in the end?

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on March 08, 2024, 02:27:14 PMWell if you said it than it must be 100% true. Coaches don't make players, they can only hamper them. I remember dolts trying to claim that Belichek was the real genius not Brady. How'd that work out in the end?

When Brady got hurt, BB made Matt Cassal look lime a HOFer with that new offense he ran designed around MC's strengths.  Teams win SBs with all contributing.

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on March 08, 2024, 02:35:23 PMWhen Brady got hurt, BB made Matt Cassal look lime a HOFer with that new offense he ran designed around MC's strengths.  Teams win SBs with all contributing.

And when Brady left every quarterback thereafter looked like dog poo, while he won yet another Super Bowl. The fact of the matter is that Pete Carroll is a defensive coach and is not an offensive genius. Let's not forget that before he was the head coach of the Seahawks he was the head coach of the Jets and Patriots and both of those stops his quarterbacks were nothing special. The idea that he somehow sprinkled his magical fairy dust onto an average quarterback and turned him into a nine time pro bowler is laughably absurd.