News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wilson

Started by FL GMAN, March 08, 2024, 11:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: Painter on March 08, 2024, 08:46:13 PM Sorry, but yeah, and so what? It's a meaningless comparison. Are you assuming that someone the Broncos couldn't wait to get rid of despite the enormous cost to allow them to begin looking for their potential QB of the future is going to make it easier for the Giants to do likewise?

Wilson, whether or not he has a year or two left, is not the Giants QB of the future. Moreover, any degree of success he might have, such as that of Jones in 2022, would only make it more difficult to find a promising successor in the Draft. Unless, not having added a decent or better QB prospect this year, they see Wilson as a stopgap in 2025, he makes no sense to me.

Cheers!

the only reason to take Wilson is assuming we DO draft a QB prsopect who NEEDS TIME to develop and learn behind an all time great QB, and we can then cut DJ.

If we don't draft a rookie Qb, no point to getting Russ.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 09, 2024, 02:22:13 AMthe only reason to take Wilson is assuming we DO draft a QB prsopect who NEEDS TIME to develop and learn behind an all time great QB, and we can then cut DJ.

If we don't draft a rookie Qb, no point to getting Russ.

The only point in that scenario would be that, even though he's not what he was, he's still better than DJ, and we don't even know how healthy DJ will be. And we have no other QBs.

I don't want to be committed to Russ beyond one year so maybe it's not possible, but if he's obtainable on the cheap because he and his wife want to be in NY, I could see it.

But I highly doubt it happens in any case, so this is pie in the sky stuff as far as I'm concerned.

uconnjack8

A QB who wanted his own office doesn't seem like he is interested in being a football player to me.  Pass

Ed Vette

From my perspective, the Giants won't bring in a Diva. However, the reason to bring in a Veteran who has had success in the past would be to compete with Jones as this year's starter and then either draft a second round QB who sits a year or draft one next season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Stringer Bell

Teams do due diligence on guys all the time. They could have zero interest in Wilson and are using a meeting with him to broaden their understanding of QB personalities and motivations.

Fans far too often read way too much into these meetings. Gathering intel is never a bad thing.

Jclayton92

The only benefit to signing russ is that you could get him for the vet min and not have to pay a back up 8-9 million

Hadron

Quote from: madbadger on March 08, 2024, 11:37:50 PMLooked really good last year despite not having good skill position players and a coach invested in his success.

He looked good at times but hardly consistent.

He was on the decline in Seattle which is why Seattle traded him. If he was still top notch, do you think a team trades their franchise QB?

I don't think it's any surprise that diva QBs were allowed to leave their teams when their production/skill dipped (see Wilson and Rodgers).

Ed Vette

I remember when many folks here were ready to give the farm away for Wilson a few years ago and when I said he was in decline, I was poo poo'ed.

Like I said, Vet minimum or a Tyrod contract for one year and have him as a qualified backup. He should even be able to beat out DJ. Unfortunately his narcissistic ways preclude him from being a positive influence on this team searching for an identity.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin