News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

There is a new 26

Started by MightyGiants, March 14, 2024, 06:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I think it looks petty. But, 80 passed hands too. It's a message that he doesn't really matter. I would have held it back a year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 14, 2024, 07:03:38 PMI think it looks petty. But, 80 passed hands too. It's a message that he doesn't really matter. I would have held it back a year.

I don't get it. Petty how? 26 has always been Singletary's number, so it's not like he went out of his way to go after it.

Further, Saquon isn't even among the top 3 RBs in Giants history, so it's not like he's a legend of the franchise. He played for 6 years - great in 2 of them, good in 1, average in 2, hurt for 1. Not the type of career that warrants major rememberance.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Stringer Bell on March 14, 2024, 07:41:57 PMI don't get it. Petty how? 26 has always been Singletary's number, so it's not like he went out of his way to go after it.

Further, Saquon isn't even among the top 3 RBs in Giants history, so it's not like he's a legend of the franchise. He played for 6 years - great in 2 of them, good in 1, average in 2, hurt for 1. Not the type of career that warrants major rememberance.
The vast majority of the Jerseys at Met Life have been 26. If you don't get it, it's not my job to persuade you.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 14, 2024, 07:52:09 PMIf you don't get it, it's not my job to persuade you.

Pretty unnecessary response on a legitimate question. Especially for an admin.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Stringer Bell on March 14, 2024, 08:16:45 PMPretty unnecessary response on a legitimate question. Especially for an admin.
Pretty unnecessary challenge to an opinion post. Deal with it.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 14, 2024, 08:22:04 PMPretty unnecessary challenge to an opinion post. Deal with it.

It was unnecessary for me to ask the question "petty how?" I didn't attack you in any way.

My post was based in facts. Facts on Singletary's career and Saquon's career. Your responses were unnecessarily confrontational and not in line with your own pinned post on board guidelines.

Trench

I think it's great. Nice job Giants.

Bye Saquon

DaveBrown74

Absolutely no issue here. Even if Saquon went to some benign team that wasn't going to irk Giants fans (such as Houston), there is no way he was remotely close to having his number retired here. Not even close. Guy has a couple very good seasons, but apart from that he was either out with injuries or not playing well due to coming back from one of his injuries. Talented player but not a guy whose number you even think about retiring. So anyone should be able to wear it that they want to have wear it. That's a non-issue.

Ed Vette

I get all that. Seems to me that they don't want to see Barkley Jerseys at MetLife. He had a loyal fan base. I wonder how many will still wear it. I would guess that half the fans are done with him.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Hadron

Speaking of #26, Antrel Rolle brings back some positive memories from the last Super Bowl team.

EliWasrobbed

this going to be so embarrassing by comparison, SAQUON I MISS YOU!!!
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Trench

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 14, 2024, 09:43:05 PMI get all that. Seems to me that they don't want to see Barkley Jerseys at MetLife. He had a loyal fan base. I wonder how many will still wear it. I would guess that half the fans are done with him.

All should be "done" with him. He went to the enemy pure and simple. Screw him. He never came close to his potential.

Did he ever win a rushing title?

kartanoman

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 14, 2024, 09:43:05 PMI get all that. Seems to me that they don't want to see Barkley Jerseys at MetLife. He had a loyal fan base. I wonder how many will still wear it. I would guess that half the fans are done with him.

Wow, Ed. Coming from a neutral position on this subject, I get the sense this is more than just an opinion on your part. I understand that a player who was once the face of the franchise is no longer here and the impression of re-assigning his jersey number might be interpreted as a lack of appreciation for being a team captain and one of the team's star players. "Once a Giant, Always a Giant" is the team motto, after all. If I misinterpreted that, or missed something, please feel welcome to correct me.

A long time ago, I used to feel the same way. The one player my emotions drew the most support for were Harry Carson. In fact, I signed a petition that went directly to Wellington Mara on the subject. His response was that jersey numbers would run out if they continued to retire everyone's number, and so he would be one day honored in a Giants' Ring of Honor.

As I have aged, and hopefully matured, I came to the realization the reverance we have should not be the number itself but the player. The Ring of Honor, when finally came to pass with the birth of The Sardine Can in 2010, was the ideal method of honoring our great Giants' players. It is my belief that once a player with a retired Giants jersey dies, or gives the team permission, should return their number back into the available numbers pool to select from. These greats have been remembered forever in the Ring of Honor, some in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, so why not give a new generation of fans the chance to see the numbers 1, 4, 7, 14, 16, 32, 40, 42, 50 returned to circulation and in a future generation or two, they can have 10, 11, 56, 92. By then, the Ring of Honor will have a man named Barkley listed with the rest of the Giants who did their craft well. He will go in just as Rodney Hampton did.

All of this will take place in due time. For now, he is part of the enemy, and it will be very interesting to see the Giants play against him and how he will feel going up against his former club.

As for fans wearing his jersey, we'll just have to wait and see when the TV camera pan the seats in the stadium which will answer your question. As for this "they," in your post, I'm not sure who you are referring to. I see people at stadiums wearing jerseys of former players all the time. When I went to the Cardinals' game last season, our fans had plenty of former Giants jerseys on. Heck, I was wearing my Phil Simms #11 jersey at the game! For as long as he is an Iggle, it probably would be awkward to wear a Giant Barkley jersey and I'm sure you can see that straight up.

I've said all I can say and hope this gives you perhaps a bigger picture thought about the whole jersey thing. Players these days are commodities more so than the heroes of our past. Sad, but true. Even Barkley had his price. That's why I don't collect or buy jerseys anymore, unless they are from the old days.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

In the end, I think Barkley failed to really treat the young fans (who seemed to form the corp of his fanbase) very well as he departed for the Eagles.  That's between him and them.

As for reassigning his number, Barkley did nothing to earn any sort of hold on his number.   He was over-drafted, was paid more than most RBs over his career, and produced nowhere near his draft status or pay would warrant.  He played what?  4 full seasons when you factor in all the time he missed with injury.

There have been plenty of players who have played 4 (or even 6) seasons with the Giants and when they leave their number isn't treated as special.

I will also add, from the Giant's point of view, this is a smart move.   It wouldn't be a great look to have tons of Barkley jerseys in the stands at training camp and at games.  I think reassigning his number may discourage people from wearing his jersey.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE