News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

"The Giants are finished with Daniel Jones"

Started by MightyGiants, March 16, 2024, 08:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

I have a big board of about 5 guys I'd be ok with at number 6 right now. I dont want to get locked into one because we benefit either way. Teams trading up to get all 4 Qbs leaves us with the 2nd best non qb prospect or we take a qb.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 16, 2024, 09:26:53 AMI am not suggesting that the Giants should continue to ride with the often-injured Jones moving forward. My point is that having that story get out in the press so strongly would only be detrimental to the Giants moving forward, and this new regime seems to do a very good job keeping their trade and draft intentions secret.

Fair enough.

I think there have been instances where people have talked out of turn inside the organization. Didn't that allegedly happen with Tim McConnell one year?

Hadron

I wouldn't be shocked to see Drew Lock outplay Jones. I was pretty high on Lock the year he came out. Perhaps a bit of a miss on my part but c'est la vie.

Jones is a proven commodity at this point. A talented runner and not much else.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Hadron on March 16, 2024, 11:17:30 AMI wouldn't be shocked to see Drew Lock outplay Jones. I was pretty high on Lock the year he came out. Perhaps a bit of a miss on my part but c'est la vie.

Jones is a proven commodity at this point. A talented runner and not much else.

I think Jones and Lock may be roughly similar caliber passing talents, but Jones is light years better with his legs.

AZGiantFan

At this point I think you could go down to your local storefront Psychic and get information as reliable as what's leaking in the media.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 16, 2024, 11:35:08 AMAt this point I think you could go down to your local storefront Psychic and get information as reliable as what's leaking in the media.

LOL...so true  =)) 

Smoke, mirrors, bait-n-switch, red herrings, out-and-out lies, overheard a conversation in a bar, diversion, chasing the wild goose, attention-grabbing ploys, deceit and distraction of every sort...such are rumors prior to the draft

Overheard in a men's room at a redneck dive bar in East Bugfux, Pennsylvania, a drunk man whispering, "I heard the Giants are trading Dexter Lawrence to the Cowboys for Dak, and then trading Daniel Jones to the Commanders for a 6th round pick". Gets 14 million hits overnight! Sufferin succatash!!

picture upload
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 16, 2024, 11:19:18 AMI think Jones and Lock may be roughly similar caliber passing talents, but Jones is light years better with his legs.
Legs before a torn ACL.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 16, 2024, 08:21:14 AMThat was the pronouncement from Rich Eissen. 
If I were GM of another team interested in the top few picks of this draft for ANY reason, the "leaking" of such a statement by the person who said it tells me the Giants are hoping to either:

(a) get as many QB's taken in this draft BEFORE their pick comes up; or
(b) entice someone into offering to "buy their Pick number Six so they can move down.

What this does NOT in a million years tell me is that the Giants intend to select a QB at Pick Six.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Fletch

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 16, 2024, 09:14:12 AMI am not suggesting you hate Jones (which is why I said there are those who hate and those who are just very down on him).   While there are people who hold a reasoned position to be down on Jones, there is no denying that there is a significant portion of the fanbase and commentators who are displaying visceral emotional issues with Daniel Jones.  Jones generated that hate from the moment David Gettleman drafted him.

It's an interesting phenomenon, as I can't recall seeing a similar issue in my many decades as a football fan.

Well when was the last time someone was drafted at 6 that had no business being drafted there? When was the last time we clearly had the best player on this team carry a whole offense and then get shown the door basically. When was the last time they paid someone like that 40 mil a year to ride pine 1/2 the time and the other half stink up the joint.

If it is any consolation a ton of Mets fans hated Vogelbach and Showwalter for playing him but, little did those fools know it was a directive coming from the front office. He actually wanted him off the team at the trade dead line

madbadger

Quote from: Gman329 on March 16, 2024, 08:39:13 AMOff topic here but Charlie Weiss is absolutely the worst listen on Sirius NFL Radio.  Talks a lot, says nothing.

Sounds a lot like his tenure as a head coach. Always blustering about how teams will be at a schematic disadvantage against him before looking like a team coached by a third grader.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on March 16, 2024, 06:02:36 PMSounds a lot like his tenure as a head coach. Always blustering about how teams will be at a schematic disadvantage against him before looking like a team coached by a third grader.

On 60 Minutes when he was coaching Notre Dame, he claimed he was the best coach in the country, and it was clear he believed that. It was nothing but downhill after that.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 16, 2024, 08:11:26 PMOn 60 Minutes when he was coaching Notre Dame, he claimed he was the best coach in the country, and it was clear he believed that. It was nothing but downhill after that.
Somewhat unrelated his son is like one of those wiz kids, started coaching at 18 yrs old and us currently the OC at Ole Miss at the age of 30 having coached 12 years, most of which has been as an OC in the SEC.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 16, 2024, 11:19:18 AMI think Jones and Lock may be roughly similar caliber passing talents, but Jones is light years better with his legs.

I'd say "was light years better with his legs". Big question whether he can recapture the form following an ACL
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on March 16, 2024, 09:03:16 PMI'd say "was light years better with his legs". Big question whether he can recapture the form following an ACL

Lock has never rushed for more than 160 yards in a season, and that was an outlier year. He is a career 3.9 YPC. He's a career 10.7 rushing yards per game.

Even if Jones is only 60-70% of his norm in his post ACL year, he's still a much bigger factor with his legs than Lock is or ever was.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 16, 2024, 08:11:26 PMOn 60 Minutes when he was coaching Notre Dame, he claimed he was the best coach in the country, and it was clear he believed that. It was nothing but downhill after that.

He was the first of many former Belichek assistants who confused Bill's genius with their own.