News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ranaan: Giants Considering Moving Neal to Guard

Started by uconnjack8, March 17, 2024, 05:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Not sure what to think on this one.  On one hand Ranaan certainly has contacts in the organization.  On the other why would this leak out?

One thing I really don't understand ( and it might be I just dont understand how the NFL works) is why the Giants would reach out to his "team". Aren't the Giants his team? I would expect a move like this to be handled with a meeting between the HC and the player. 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/17/new-york-giants-reached-out-evan-neal-team-about-moving-to-guard/

DaveBrown74

I don't get the "his team" stuff either. Should be between the player and his coaching staff.

I really don't have a strong view on this either way. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Since Neal is on a rookie contract, I am all for trying to figure out ways to get value out of him. And it seems clear they brought in Eluemunor to have him play RT. That's assuming they don't draft an OT in the first round, which they still could.

Might as well try Neal out at guard. If he stinks there too, then they know for sure what they're working with.

madbadger

The difference in value between a starting tackle and a starting guard on a second contract is millions. In fairness to him he's only had a year and a half of playing time, all of that under an incompetent offensive line coach. It took Thomas three years to become a pro bowl caliber tackle. I suspect that he isn't going to take it well and they're trying to create a soft landing by reaching out to his team.

uconnjack8

Quote from: madbadger on March 17, 2024, 06:05:52 PMThe difference in value between a starting tackle and a starting guard on a second contract is millions. In fairness to him he's only had a year and a half of playing time, all of that under an incompetent offensive line coach. It took Thomas three years to become a pro bowl caliber tackle. I suspect that he isn't going to take it well and they're trying to create a soft landing by reaching out to his team.

Key word there is "starting".  The 2nd conttact for a starting guard is millions more than a 2nd string tackle.

Regardless of all that, the Giants are trying to win games not placate subpar performers.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on March 17, 2024, 06:05:52 PMThe difference in value between a starting tackle and a starting guard on a second contract is millions. In fairness to him he's only had a year and a half of playing time, all of that under an incompetent offensive line coach. It took Thomas three years to become a pro bowl caliber tackle. I suspect that he isn't going to take it well and they're trying to create a soft landing by reaching out to his team.

Fair point but it's hard to compare his progression to Thomas'. Thomas was actually good in his second year. And he even showed signs of improvement down the stretch of his rookie season. Thomas' second year was nothing like Neal's. Neal was still egregious in his second year. Both have had nothing but terrible O line coaching in the NFL to this point. Both have dealt with injury issues.

Jclayton92

Neal was improving, he's only played 20 games or 1 season and a 1/4.

Jolly Blue Giant

Probably smoke to get other teams thinking they need to trade up to get a targeted OT

I think the Giants have thought about it, but they would never broadcast it (leak it, whatever), because that is against everything Schoen stands for. Any rumor is designed to affect the draft coming up in a few weeks

If the Giants wanted to try him at guard, they would play with it in camp to see if it is even plausible. And they certainly aren't going to leak it before it's even experimented with...unless, of course, they're throwing smoke
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 17, 2024, 06:19:50 PMNeal was improving, he's only played 20 games or 1 season and a 1/4.

I never saw Neal improve. In fact, I saw the opposite - regression. His footwork is a disaster. His awareness and ability to handle stunts couldn't have been worse. He often looked as though he was moving in slow motion. I expect more from this OL coach, but I don't think the best OL coach in history could turn Neal into a functional NFL tackle. Try him at OG and, if it doesn't work, move on entirely.

Philosophers

Why didnt they try him last season after it was lost for even just a game?

Rosehill Jimmy

Not defending him but he's had even less playing time than that. 20 games
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

brownelvis54

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 17, 2024, 06:19:50 PMNeal was improving, he's only played 20 games or 1 season and a 1/4.

Exactly. Let's see what his new O-line coach thinks. I don't know if people realize how little playing time Neal really had. Add to the fact he went from Left tackle to the right side.
The KING is in the building

Philosophers

Quote from: brownelvis54 on March 17, 2024, 08:02:05 PMExactly. Let's see what his new O-line coach thinks. I don't know if people realize how little playing time Neal really had. Add to the fact he went from Left tackle to the right side.

I really don't get the easy to  change from left to right and vice versa.  How many boxers can box regular and south paw or surfers can surf regular vs goofy foot?  Answer few.

We have a dominant eye and a dominant hand.  They dont work equally on both sides.  WRs say they are more comfortable catching a ball to one sode than the other. 

Giant Obsession

I'm not sure he could guard the end of the bench.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Gmo11

After the first two seasons this kid has had they shouldn't need to ask his permission to do anything.  If he can beat out the new guy for RT then that's terrific.  I'm not holding my breath.  And if he can't they should absolutely see if he can be remotely useful as a guard. It'd be tough for him to be worse there than he was at RT or worse than the recent guard play of the Giants in general.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2024, 06:03:13 PMI don't get the "his team" stuff either. Should be between the player and his coaching staff.

I really don't have a strong view on this either way. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Since Neal is on a rookie contract, I am all for trying to figure out ways to get value out of him. And it seems clear they brought in Eluemunor to have him play RT. That's assuming they don't draft an OT in the first round, which they still could.

Might as well try Neal out at guard. If he stinks there too, then they know for sure what they're working with.

I think the whole team thing is the result of the 2011 CBA

QuoteThe new collective bargaining agreement agreed to in 2011 dictates that until the offseason program begins, players and coaches are not allowed to talk football, hold meetings, look at a playbook, watch film or do any other football-related activity. Players can't work out with the team strength coach even if he's standing at the bench press next to him.

So if the Giants decided after the season was over and Neal had left that they would make the move, they could only communicate that to Neal indirectly

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/04/26/coaches-players-talk-shop-nfl-agreement/8227871/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE