News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The "Buffalo" Model

Started by Jclayton92, March 18, 2024, 06:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ralphpal1

Mahomes is going to 8 more superbowls in a row
Its a simple.plan
Spags comes up.with a plan only lets the other team.score 17 to 20 pts
Mahomes keeps it close maybe down 20- 17
The other QB makes a mistake
Mahomes gets the ball
Drives the field
Td
Chiefs wins
There is no QB that has that IT factor
Maybe Burrow but this is his 2nd injury
Everyone else just dont have it

Philosophers

Why dont we follow the Chiefs model?

Giant Obsession

The true Buffalo model is

Stifling defense
Ground and pound running attack
Cerebral QB that does not make mistakes
Great Special teams, especially PK and Punter.

A HC that motivates, not denigrates.
See Lou Saban the HC who was the architect of their championships.  The ONLY titles Buffalo has EVER won.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on March 18, 2024, 07:39:44 PMWhy dont we follow the Chiefs model?
The only difference in the Buffalo and Chiefs model is how they acquired their qb.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 18, 2024, 07:57:25 PMThe only difference in the Buffalo and Chiefs model is how they acquired their qb.

And the playcalling I think.  Nobody calls an offense like Reid.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on March 18, 2024, 10:03:38 PMAnd the playcalling I think.  Nobody calls an offense like Reid.
kc throws it short to set up the long ball while Buffalo throws the long ball to setup the short game.

MightyGiants

It's sort of ironic to talk about the Buffalo model as I think their Super Bowl window likely closed.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

WheresDayne

The Pats model was have Brady, be in a terrible division and build a great defense.  Guaranteed 5-6 wins in division, go 5-5 versus the rest of the league and you instantly have 10-11 wins and a shot at home field and a bye.  Worked for 10 years.  I think Buffalo could do the same thing.

ViewFromSection129

Quote from: WheresDayne on March 19, 2024, 09:50:50 AMThe Pats model was have Brady, be in a terrible division and build a great defense.  Guaranteed 5-6 wins in division, go 5-5 versus the rest of the league and you instantly have 10-11 wins and a shot at home field and a bye.  Worked for 10 years.  I think Buffalo could do the same thing.

This is a great take and very underreported. In the Tom Brady years, the Pats won 76% of their games, while every other team in the AFC East was under .500, with an average of 44%.  The Patriots had 18 years of double digit wins (95% of the time), and more than 10 wins in every year since 2003, while no other team had more than 5 years of double digit wins (all other teams on average had double digit wins 19% of the time). The Bills were below 10 wins in all years other than 10 wins in Brady's last Patriots year. So, while not trying to denigrate Belichick or Brady, The Patriots benefited quite significantly from a very weak division.

WheresDayne

Quote from: ViewFromSection129 on March 19, 2024, 10:14:51 AMThis is a great take and very underreported. In the Tom Brady years, the Pats won 76% of their games, while every other team in the AFC East was under .500, with an average of 44%.  The Patriots had 18 years of double digit wins (95% of the time), and more than 10 wins in every year since 2003, while no other team had more than 5 years of double digit wins (all other teams on average had double digit wins 19% of the time). The Bills were below 10 wins in all years other than 10 wins in Brady's last Patriots year. So, while not trying to denigrate Belichick or Brady, The Patriots benefited quite significantly from a very weak division.

Thanks for doing a deep dive regarding my post.  It even better highlights the beneficial position the Pats were in for such an extended period of time.   :yes: