News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFL has banned the hip-drop tacke

Started by MightyGiants, March 25, 2024, 11:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

They need to ban stiff arms too. Every advantage is being given to the offense. Take away stiff arms so defenders can tackle.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

So what if the circumstances are that is just how you were able to get a hold of the player ? These rules are crazy

killarich

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

What is a "swivel" vs other hip-drop tackles?

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 25, 2024, 02:14:46 PMWhat is a "swivel" vs other hip-drop tackles?

According to the agreed upon specific criteria of the now-illegal technique, a swivel hip-drop tackle takes place when a player:

-Grabs a runner with both hands/arms while attempting to make a tackle
-"Unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body"
-And then lands on and traps the runner's leg(s) at or below the knee

https://theathletic.com/5367020/2024/03/25/nfl-hip-drop-tackle-ban/

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

NFL Examining Hip-Drop Tackles, Could Ban Them

Dean Blandino and Dr. Jessica Flynn discuss the hip-drop tackle, define what it is and explain how the NFL will approach the controversial move.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/nfl-examining-hip-drop-tackles-could-ban-them/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

You just know that the refs are going to be all over the map when enforcing this.

uconnjack8

Quote from: TONKA56 on March 26, 2024, 06:06:22 AMYou just know that the refs are going to be all over the map when enforcing this.

One thing I heard on the radio, and I am not sure what this would look like, is that they are looking to enforce this one via fines more so than penalty flags.  Like I said, I don't know what that looks like or how the refs call or don't call it.  Seems like that makes it either 1) more confusing or 2) they just won't call it and will wait for the reviews after games to assess fines.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 26, 2024, 07:55:33 AMOne thing I heard on the radio, and I am not sure what this would look like, is that they are looking to enforce this one via fines more so than penalty flags.  Like I said, I don't know what that looks like or how the refs call or don't call it.  Seems like that makes it either 1) more confusing or 2) they just won't call it and will wait for the reviews after games to assess fines.

I suspect the NFL knows it will be hard to call these penalties in-game as it's such a complex rule.  After the fact with the luxury of film review and slow motion players will start to receive fines.

As much as I enjoy the violence of the game, I agree that they needed to eliminate what is essentially a way for defense players to remove offensive players from games and potentially seasons.  People don't pay all that money for season tickets or NFL streaming just to see the stars sitting on the sidelines.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I have a hard time bekieving that when a defender grabs a player who is fighting to break free, he mentally goes into "got to do a hip drip tackle."  Just think he is trying to wrestle him to the ground anyway he can.

If they want to ban something intentional, how about cut blocks?  Those are really dangerous.

files58

Teach proper tackling techniques. Go low, wrap up, and bring down. If a ballcarrier is fighting for extra yards well then the defender has a rite to bring him down in a manner that's still allowed before they turn the game into two hand touch. The game is caught at the juncture between civility, and the human thirst for the "Roman Coliseum". In fairness the defensive side of the ball should be given something in return.