News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do the Giants draft a likely blue chip WR or buy a QB lottery ticket rnd 1?

Started by MightyGiants, March 29, 2024, 02:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

That's really what the decision in round one comes down to (if you exclude trading down).

Option one is to draft an elite WR prospect who has a good chance of being a blue-chip player for your team.  Next year, you will improve your lottery odds in terms of acquiring a QB because you will have the receiving pillar of your three pillars of QB support covered (to go with quality coaching and, hopefully, adequate line play).

The other option is to buy a QB lottery ticket and hope you win.   The odds will be reduced if he is the 4th or 5th QB selected and further reduced because the receiving pillar is questionable without a true number-one target.  You can trade up, but that further reduces the success in terms of having the quality support around your QB that you are drafting.

So which way should or does Schoen and company go?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I can't really say which way they should go without knowing the true strength of conviction our front office has in the QB prospects. What they SHOULD NOT do is draft a QB they're only moderately high on, just because we need a QB. You can perhaps do that on day two or day three, but not in the first round. That's how you end up with Kenny Pickett.

If the Giants feel strongly about one of more of these QB prospects, and they have the opportunity to get one of them, I strongly believe they should. Including trading up, if need be. It's just too precious a commodity to pass on a chance to get a potentially very good one when you have the opportunity.

Which way does Schoen actually go? I suspect he's thinking similarly. He is entering year three now, and the pressure is building. Drafting a QB in the top 6 would be an effective admission you made a mistake with Jones a year earlier, but that's a much smarter move than knowingly and stubbornly riding a losing hand.

Another reason I think Schoen will go QB (if he has a strong view) is that Mara gave a public endorsement of doing so. If they were truly all-in on Jones, there is no way the owner would have publicly said he's fine with drafting a QB in the first round. Those Mara remarks signaled to me that they're strongly considering doing this.

londonblue

We have 27 more days of this but I am already at the edge of my interest. If we stay put at 6 it is QB or WR. If we trade up it is a QB. The only mystery and intrigue comes if we trade down. There are only so many ways we can rehash our views on this from now until draft day.

I am focusing on what we do in R2-6 if we do not trade. I think QB is R1 or bust as 5, possibly 6 go R1 and the rest are just bang average future back-up types (Pratt) or look like Greek Gods in shorts but are incapable of mastering the intricacies of the college game in pads and so have zero chance at NFL level (Milton).
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on March 29, 2024, 04:21:01 PMWe have 27 more days of this but I am already at the edge of my interest. If we stay put at 6 it is QB or WR. If we trade up it is a QB. The only mystery and intrigue comes if we trade down. There are only so many ways we can rehash our views on this from now until draft day.

I am focusing on what we do in R2-6 if we do not trade. I think QB is R1 or bust as 5, possibly 6 go R1 and the rest are just bang average future back-up types (Pratt) or look like Greek Gods in shorts but are incapable of mastering the intricacies of the college game in pads and so have zero chance at NFL level (Milton).

Neal,

I agree with the QB in round one or bust.   There isn't a guy in the second tier that has the talent to become a franchise QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

The former, not the latter.

As for the name spelling, it not just a matter of alternates but one of given name NEIL versus surname NEAL as the more common. However, where the familial, O'Neil and McNeil are concerned, the opposite is true.

Cheers!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 29, 2024, 02:35:37 PMThe other option is to buy a QB lottery ticket and hope you win.   The odds will be reduced if he is the 4th or 5th QB selected

I don't know the answer to this but this statement got me wondering.  Is this born out by history?  Is there an actual correlation between the order that, say, the top 4 and the rest of the field are selected and their success level in the NFL?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

If the Giants think DJ can be a top 12 QB with an above average OL, they probably think they can win a SB with that so they surround him with talent like a top WR group.  They wont draft a QB if they think that.

If they think drafting Daniels gets them to top 8 I think they bail on QB pick

MightyGiants

I tend to lean toward the WR.  The Giant's roster needs to start adding red-chip and blue-chip players.   The team can't be so QB-focused as they pass up an ideal chance to do so.

Admittedly, if a QB the Giants like falls to them at 6, I wouldn't fault them (because they believe that QB could be blue or red chip.

Still, if they go WR for the next few seasons, it will be easier to develop a QB, or any QB behind center will have an easier time of it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 30, 2024, 07:06:28 AMI tend to lean toward the WR.  The Giant's roster needs to start adding red-chip and blue-chip players.   The team can't be so QB-focused as they pass up an ideal chance to do so.

Admittedly, if a QB the Giants like falls to them at 6, I wouldn't fault them (because they believe that QB could be blue or red chip.

Still, if they go WR for the next few seasons, it will be easier to develop a QB, or any QB behind center will have an easier time of it.

Rich: I agree about leaning toward WR, but (as DB said) not necessarily because they should.

I think the odds of the one QB (whomever it is) that they would take falling to them are extremely low.

The odds of a WR whom they probably would take a better, but IMO not much better, UNLESS four QB's go above Pick Six, in which case they'll see two of the top three WR's there, and the only question will be whether they really like either of them (I'd say the odds of THAT are fairly high).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!