News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Surprise Pick 6 Selection

Started by Philosophers, April 01, 2024, 10:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

We've discussed QB and WR ad nauseum and OT to a lesser extent with the 6th pick.  What position and prospect could get picked by the Giants at 6?

I am going to say CB and Quinyon Mitchell (sp?) from Toledo?  Tre Hawkins may not be the long term answer.  Critical position.

londonblue

I do not think that any of the defenders carry the kind of grade you would want at 6. In particular I think the best outside CB in this draft is worse than the top 5 last year (the strength is the nickel guys late 1/day 2). It would genuinely be a surprise if they went for a third Edge in R1 who might get 30% snaps,

However, if they are going to reach on D then maybe Byron Murphy II or Jerzhan Newton to partner Dex and give us a potential dominant '4' on passing downs (rotating with Nacho/Davidson on rushing downs). It might seem a bit extreme to use 6 for one of these likely 50/60% snaps guys (at least initially) but building on the one potential dominant area of the team might offer the biggest reward of any pick on D.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Ed Vette

I think day two or trade down mid first, but I like Nate Wiggins.
From the Huddle Report Value Board.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on April 01, 2024, 10:16:38 AMWe've discussed QB and WR ad nauseum and OT to a lesser extent with the 6th pick.  What position and prospect could get picked by the Giants at 6?

I am going to say CB and Quinyon Mitchell (sp?) from Toledo?  Tre Hawkins may not be the long term answer.  Critical position.

If the Giants don't go WR/QB at 6, I would be shocked if there isn't a trade-down involved.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: londonblue on April 01, 2024, 10:38:27 AMI do not think that any of the defenders carry the kind of grade you would want at 6. In particular I think the best outside CB in this draft is worse than the top 5 last year (the strength is the nickel guys late 1/day 2). It would genuinely be a surprise if they went for a third Edge in R1 who might get 30% snaps,

However, if they are going to reach on D then maybe Byron Murphy II or Jerzhan Newton to partner Dex and give us a potential dominant '4' on passing downs (rotating with Nacho/Davidson on rushing downs). It might seem a bit extreme to use 6 for one of these likely 50/60% snaps guys (at least initially) but building on the one potential dominant area of the team might offer the biggest reward of any pick on D.

I thought DT as well but with Burns we have 3/4s of a 4 man line so thought Giants might look elsewhere.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jgrangers2

Without trading down, it's hard to see the pick not being a QB or WR. I don't imagine there's a single defensive player on their radar at 6. Even Alt would be a complete shocker at 6 despite OL being a topic of discussion.