News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What was the Giants' most surprise and most expected 1st rnd pick?

Started by MightyGiants, April 22, 2024, 11:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on April 22, 2024, 02:07:50 PMWilliam Joseph shocked me as I was just starting in my draft interest and he was one of my "no way" guys. The least surprising was Saquon as Gettleman might as well have had his name tattooed on his forehead he made it so obvious what he was doing. I was a big fan of AT so I was delighted when we took him.

The funny thing is I remember people being okay with Joseph but they were not happy with Osi in round 2.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Gosh where to start.

I guess the biggest surprise was Cedric Jones. The Giants and George Young had their eye on 4 guys and he figured to get one of them with the 5th pick. He was taken completely by surprise when all 4 went before we picked. He had to make a pick and it was Jones. He never even knew he was legally blind in one eye.

And if we really want to be surprised, no one was more surprised when Young selected that QB out of Morehead State and fellow by the name of Simms.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

The first name that popped into my head was Eli Apple. Reese had been jumped twice in that draft I think and it seemed to me like such a desperation pick.
As for most expected, that's an easy one.
Hint #1...he was touched by the hand of God. Hint #2.....he's a sure fire Gold Jacket. Hint #3.....Gettleman was in Full Bloom Love with him and let everyone know it.....
Saquon Barkley.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

jimc

- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 22, 2024, 02:48:52 PMThe funny thing is I remember people being okay with Joseph but they were not happy with Osi in round 2.
Yeah, the 2003 draft was stacked with top notch DTs and that was the position that Giants needed the most. DTs Dewayne Robertson, Johnathan Sullivan, Kevin Williams; Jimmy Kennedy went in the first 12 picks that year. We weren't on the clock until no.25. Joseph was considered "good", but more of a second rounder. Still, I was elated that we got a solid DT...a whew moment for me  :doh:

When we got Osi, I agreed with Mel Kiper that we "overpaid" and we could have had him a round or two later. I was wrong and learned a lesson about thinking I knew anything of value concerning pre-draft player analysis. I have learned to control my emotions during the draft and accept that I'm not quite as smart as I think I am. Just a fan  :(
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Apple surprised me the most anytime in somewhat recent memory. He was not remotely on my radar for that pick.

Barkley surprised me the least by far. It was just about pre-announced that we were taking him.

coggs

The least surprising to me were Barkley and Shockey.  Eli was less of a surprise only because it was obvious they were taking a QB, just didnt know which one.

Most surprising for me might have been Ron Dayne.  Remember most didnt think he would do well in the NFL.

Jclayton92

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Brooklyn Dave

You beat me to the punch . I was going to say Phil Simms from Moorehead State

LennG

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on April 22, 2024, 09:29:30 PMYou beat me to the punch . I was going to say Phil Simms from Moorehead State

Phil who?????
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TDToomer

Quote from: PSUBeirut on April 22, 2024, 02:32:55 PMThe guy that sticks out to me as most surprising will always be Thomas Lewis.  That dude was NOWHERE on my radar or anyone else's in the 1st round.  I just remember watching the draft and the hosts all scrambling to see who he was and they didn't even have a graphic for the guy so all they patched together was a random screen shot with his helmet on from some game film.  So embarrassing.  =))  =))  =))

George Young could not draft a stud WR if he tried. His best was Earnest Gray in his very first draft. Issac Bruce was still on the board when he picked Lewis. Didn't he justify his pick reasoning that because of the swirling winds of old Giants Stadium he preferred short route guys over deep threats?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

TONKA56

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on April 23, 2024, 09:19:21 AMGeorge Young could not draft a stud WR if he tried. His best was Earnest Gray in his very first draft. Issac Bruce was still on the board when he picked Lewis. Didn't he justify his pick reasoning that because of the swirling winds of old Giants Stadium he preferred short route guys over deep threats?

That is a good point about George Young and WRs.  Although with all the WRs he drafted, he did have a couple of hits with Toomer and Ed McCaffery (although his best work was with another team)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Jim