News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Seems like a lot of commentators are saying Lock will beat out Jones

Started by MightyGiants, May 07, 2024, 10:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-Town G-Fan and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on Today at 12:50:43 PMMacAdoo was itching to get Geno playing over Eli so anything can happen when you are not the regime that drafted said QB.

Apart from that, I think DJ would beat out Lock if they are on level playing ground.

A lot of the outrage over the Giants breaking Eli's consecutive starting streak was due to the quarterback starting in Eli's place, Geno Smith.  I wonder if how Geno has played with the Seahawks the past two seasons might have some people reconsidering the outrage over starting Geno Smith.

Ben McAdoo has his shortcomings, but he seems to have a pretty good handle on QB assessments, or at least as well as anyone, since it's a bit of an inexact science.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

todge

Quote from: Trench on Today at 09:33:12 AMLike it or not, our (not one but TWO) backup QBs played markedly better than the 40 million dollar man. People will say that is because we were missing Andrew Thomas. One person doesn't make a team. The argument would hold some weight if not for the fact TWO backups played much much better and even beat an inter division rival.
Jones faced the early part of the schedule. Their losses were to: Cowboys, 49ers, Seattle, Dolphins and the Bills. Everyone knew the Giants weren't winning those games. Taylor and DeVito played the softer part of the schedule.

You also said "one person doesn't make a team". This statement is usually correct but it really depends on what position and who the replacement was. Thomas was out but his replacement Ezeudu was totally overmatched at left tackle. The early schedule also included the rookie OLs starting when they clearly weren't ready. As the season went on, Thomas returned and the rookie OLs matured. Bredeson , who was awful, was replaced by Pugh. Even Aikman and Buck stated that "Jones never had a chance". Which he didn't with only 1.7 seconds until the pocket totally collapsed.

Taylor and DeVito faced the softer part of the schedule and both played behind better offensive line play than Jones had to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Painter

Quote from: Trench on Today at 12:47:59 PMThis board has extreme bias going both ways for and against Jones. It is far from a one way ticket.

And that is ok. We are all just fans.

Sorry, while I understand why you might choose to suggest it, I don't agree. We are not all just fans when there are those among us who, rather than root for the team's success, feel compelled to make every relentless effort to demean someone like Daniel Jones despite being fully aware, as are we all, of the uncertainty regarding his future and with it both the challenge and consequences involved for all concerned. For such people here, it is both meanspirited and gratuitous and hardly reflects that of a true Giants fan.

Cheers!

y_so_blu

Nah. They like Jones too much to not start him.

Do I think Lock will have to replace Jones at some point in the regular season? Yes.

Trench

Quote from: Painter on Today at 01:43:12 PMSorry, while I understand why you might choose to suggest it, I don't agree. We are not all just fans when there are those among us who, rather than root for the team's success, feel compelled to make every relentless effort to demean someone like Daniel Jones despite being fully aware, as are we all, of the uncertainty regarding his future and with it both the challenge and consequences involved for all concerned. For such people here, it is both meanspirited and gratuitous and hardly reflects that of a true Giants fan.

Cheers!

My point being - I don't agree with you either. And that is ok.

However you should be a little nicer and not state as fact anyone not holding the same opinion of you doesn't "reflect that of a true Giants fan"....that is simply not true and is beneath what this board is all about. I would hope the moderators and the owner would agree.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: todge on Today at 01:36:46 PMJones faced the early part of the schedule. Their losses were to: Cowboys, 49ers, Seattle, Dolphins and the Bills. Everyone knew the Giants weren't winning those games.

I respectfully beg to differ. Last August there were people on this board arguing that the Giants were going to be "something special this year." I don't think any of those folks, or even a number who were less emphatic but still cautiously optimistic, would have told you last August that the Giant would go 0-5 in those five games.