News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What I think about tonight

Started by katkavage, April 25, 2024, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

I think Schoen and Daboll are desperate for a QB. They do not want their legacy tied to a QB they inherited who is limited in many ways. I do not think this is a smokescreen. To spend so much time evaluating these QBs would not make sense if they were not serious. That being said, the meaningless wins after they had no chance to make the playoffs put them in a tough position. To get the QB they want, they might have to sacrifice picks that the team does need. I think they would do that knowing the importance of finding that QB to lead the Giants in the future. But I also think to do that, to give up picks, they have to get the approval of the owner. That is where this gets tricky and we might see them draft a wide receiver or someone else who might be very very good, but will not alter the dynamic of the team. That is why tonight is very critical for the Giants going forward. We shall all see soon enough.

Philosophers

I can see them remaining calm as picks 1, 2, 3, happen, but then if their guy (whomever it may be) is there at 4 or 5, I can see them getting so excited that they pull the trigger on a trade.  At that point, adrenaline will be overwhelming for them, not to make a move.

I think you are right.  They want their QB because I think they want to be here working for the Giants for a long time. 

TONKA56

Quote from: Philosophers on April 25, 2024, 08:32:05 AMI can see them remaining calm as picks 1, 2, 3, happen, but then if their guy (whomever it may be) is there at 4 or 5, I can see them getting so excited that they pull the trigger on a trade.  At that point, adrenaline will be overwhelming for them, not to make a move.

I think you are right.  They want their QB because I think they want to be here working for the Giants for a long time. 

But at the same time if they make an aggressive move and draft a guy that turns out to be "just OK" or worse, it's going to light the dumpster on fire much more quickly. It's going to be interesting for sure.

katkavage

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 25, 2024, 08:38:39 AMBut at the same time if they make an aggressive move and draft a guy that turns out to be "just OK" or worse, it's going to light the dumpster on fire much more quickly. It's going to be interesting for sure.
They know the risk, but the reward will outweigh the risk for them, I think. If they've done their proper diligence which it seems they have.

Jclayton92

I would much rather take a risk and go for it than be on the meh train we've been on for 5 years.

files58

It seems customary that most new regimes get to pick a QB of choice, and then live with the circumstances of that choice. Daboll is seen as a QB guru. He developed Allen, actually made the playoffs with a flawed, oft injured QB that he inherited from a ruinous GM, and actually managed to coax wins with a local H.S. QB that is right out of central casting. Daboll/Schoen deserve to have their own guy. 

TONKA56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 25, 2024, 09:57:21 AMI would much rather take a risk and go for it than be on the meh train we've been on for 5 years.

I'm good with that. If anything it will make it interesting to see what effect it has on the narrative.

bamagiantfan

They have 39 players on a one-year deal or whose contracts end after this season, including 5 LBs and CBs and 4 DEs. The backfield is wide open and if Waller retires so is the TE position. Other than Offensive line where they have 8 guys signed through 2025, they need upgrades for 2024 and bodies for 2025 everywhere. I can't see them packaging picks to move up. To the contrary, I see them trading down and adding picks if they can find a trading partner, or at a minimum staying put and taking best player available over and over again every round. 

They are actually in a good spot. I don't believe they are desperate for anything and for the first time I think they are happy with what they have at O-Line and D-Line. They have starters and experienced backups at every spot in the trenches. They just need to upgrade where they can.

I have no expectations for this draft.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)