News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What does Daniel Jones need to do in 2024 to remain a Giant going into 2025?

Started by DaveBrown74, May 05, 2024, 12:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

TONKA56

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 07:52:52 AMThe Giants had that high-risk option with the 3 QBs they passed on in this draft.

Sure, but they weren't ready for reasons that made sense to them.

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 07, 2024, 12:40:54 PMDoes anyone believe if Jones plays like a top 10 QB but the team has a losing season, the Giants will not pursue QB in next year's draft (assuming there is a good one and they are in a realistic position to acquire him).

I believe if DJ is top 10 but Giants are sub 0.500 he'll return in 2025.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Philosophers on Today at 10:33:06 AMI believe if DJ is top 10 but Giants are sub 0.500 he'll return in 2025.

I feel exactly the opposite because if they're picking higher via a bad record, a top QB is more likely to be within reach. Though, I'm viewing this top-10 season as being the result of efficiency (akin to 2022) rather than volume--I think the latter would make the decision to replace him harder, though not insurmountable depending on circumstances (that likely can't be anticipated at this time).

MightyGiants

I will say that if I were the GM, I suspect I would grab a new quarterback if available (without having to pay a premium in a trade).  I think @AZGiantFan made a compelling point about the odds of success when drafting a QB.  That would give me pause.  Ultimately, it would come down to the injury issues (a healthy season doesn't erase all those concerns, and that cheaper contract.  Those are two very compelling reasons in my mind.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on Today at 10:41:42 AMI feel exactly the opposite because if they're picking higher via a bad record, a top QB is more likely to be within reach. Though, I'm viewing this top-10 season as being the result of efficiency (akin to 2022) rather than volume--I think the latter would make the decision to replace him harder, though not insurmountable depending on circumstances (that likely can't be anticipated at this time).

Replace a top 10 performance at toughest and most important NFL position with a rookie likely to do poorly?  Why not just draft one and sit him for a year?

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on Today at 04:07:54 PMReplace a top 10 performance at toughest and most important NFL position with a rookie likely to do poorly?  Why not just draft one and sit him for a year?
There are also 5 starting qbs slated to hit free agency if they aren't tagged.

Dak
Trevor Lawrence
Jordan Love
Jared Goff
Tua

Plus you have other backups and fringe starters.

I think it's all about Jones health. If he stays healthy and can string together consistently good games then he'll likely be back if not I think they move forward without him.