News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

*from the #1 most accurate mock drafter the last 5 yrs

Started by MightyGiants, April 17, 2024, 12:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 17, 2024, 08:45:22 PMYes, if they've done their homework and love the QB they're taking, and it's not just out of desperation at the position and trying to save their jobs.

No, if it's the above.

Every highly drafted QB that turned out to be a bust had a team that did their homework and loved him.  Just sayin'. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

katkavage

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 17, 2024, 11:12:30 PMEvery highly drafted QB that turned out to be a bust had a team that did their homework and loved him.  Just sayin'. 
That's a reason not to do it. Okay? :surrender:

TONKA56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 17, 2024, 11:12:30 PMEvery highly drafted QB that turned out to be a bust had a team that did their homework and loved him.  Just sayin'. 

Like say Daniel Jones for example.

katkavage

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 18, 2024, 05:39:29 AMLike say Daniel Jones for example.
Don't think the Giants gave up draft picks for Jones. And so I guess we can put Schoen in the same category as Gettleman after two years? I guess it will always be hopeless for the Giants in hiring GM's who can make 100 percent accurate draft picks. It's a risk business.

MightyGiants

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 17, 2024, 03:25:51 PMWhere is Bo Nix? Maybe Ed can get his guy after all?

Bob,

The idea of grabbing a QB that falls to round two (of the top 6) is an interesting one.   My only issue is there is no way to be sure that will happen, so you can't count on it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

Quote from: katkavage on April 18, 2024, 07:31:09 AMDon't think the Giants gave up draft picks for Jones. And so I guess we can put Schoen in the same category as Gettleman after two years? I guess it will always be hopeless for the Giants in hiring GM's who can make 100 percent accurate draft picks. It's a risk business.

Really? That's what you took away from what I said?

Jolly Blue Giant

Not trying to be a stick in the mud or rain on anyone's parade, but to address the original post, there is no such thing as an accurate mock, let alone "the most accurate". And trying to bless someone's mock before the draft as "#1 most accurate" is beyond silly. Like picking the "most accurate March Madness bracket" before a single basketball is dribbled (note: the mathematical odds of getting a perfect bracket are 1 in 9.2 quintillion; the equivalent of winning Powerball several times in a couple of years)

Everything we think...will radically change on draft day. The top 3 or 4 picks are likely to be right (but could be a different order), but after that...it's one surprise after another
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Brugler did a 7 round mock.  How would you feel about this whole for our boys in blue?

1 (6). Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
2 (47). Jaden Hicks, S, Washington State
3 (70). Trey Benson, RB, Florida State
4 (107). Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane
5 (166). Josh Newton, CB, TCU
6 (183). Justin Eboigbe, DL, Alabama
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 18, 2024, 09:38:35 AMBrugler did a 7 round mock.  How would you feel about this whole for our boys in blue?

Okay, but unless Pratt turns out to be better than Davis Webb, the Giants still will need a quality QB going forward.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on April 18, 2024, 09:42:16 AMOkay, but unless Pratt turns out to be better than Davis Webb, the Giants still will need a quality QB going forward.

Assuming Daniel Jones was being fully truthful when he said last season's neck injury was just a routine stinger, it wouldn't surprise me if the Giants treat 2024 as another prove-it year for Daniel Jones.

Pratt, from what I have seen, is more of a low-cost solid backup QB than a future franchise starting QB.  If Pratt develops the team can same some nice money by not having to sign expensive veteran backups.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 17, 2024, 08:45:22 PMYes, if they've done their homework and love the QB they're taking, and it's not just out of desperation at the position and trying to save their jobs.

No, if it's the above.

Historically the track record for teams trading up into the top 5 for a QB has been terrible.   I suspect there are two reasons for that.  First, to make the trade, you need a team that doesn't think the QB is a future high-end starter (since most teams in the top 5 of the draft don't have an elite QB), so they are willing to trade down.  Second, the draft capital spent moving up into the top 5 means that the team's 3 Ps of QB support (see the thread I started about that) is likely to suffer and make it far more difficult to develop the QB that is drafted.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 18, 2024, 09:45:04 AMAssuming Daniel Jones was being fully truthful when he said last season's neck injury was just a routine stinger, it would surprise me if the Giants treat 2024 as another prove-it year for Daniel Jones.

Pratt, from what I have seen, is more of a low-cost solid backup QB than a future franchise starting QB.  If Pratt develops the team can same some nice money by not having to sign expensive veteran backups.
True about Pratt but can you really think or believe at this point that Jones can be more than a game manager? His ceiling is a poor man's Ryan Tannehill. Do you think his slow processing will suddenly improve after five years? Injuries are just a part of his issues.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on April 18, 2024, 09:50:23 AMTrue about Pratt but can you really think or believe at this point that Jones can be more than a game manager? His ceiling is a poor man's Ryan Tannehill. Do you think his slow processing will suddenly improve after five years? Injuries are just a part of his issues.

I think the claims of DJ being a slow processor are more the result of fans claiming they see that on film (they don't) rather than a reflection of reality.  Unless you are at Greg Cosell level tape grinder (with access to the full 22), the average (and even above average fan) is not capable of discerning processing speed.   I would also suggest that if fans' claims about the slow processing were true, Schoen would have never signed DJ to the contract they did.

My biggest concern with DJ moving forward is that the Giants did such a horrible job protecting him over the years he is starting to see ghosts.   It's possible that DJ's ACL tear may prove to be a blessing in disguise because it gave him some time off from the beatings, and perhaps he will recover from his previous trauma.  That is a big question in my mind.  I'm not sure how DJ will react when he starts getting hit again.  So traumas become ingrained, and I don't care how tough you are; they just keep impacting you.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 18, 2024, 09:38:35 AMBrugler did a 7 round mock.  How would you feel about this whole for our boys in blue?

The Giants already have a back-up. If they want to waste a spot on a 3rd QB - give it to DeVito.

There's no justification for wasting a 4th round pick on a QB that isn't contending to start.

The Giants need to get much better at identifying role players in rounds 3-5 rather than wasting them on "projects" ala Peart or 2nd/3rd string QBs.

Draft a QB early or not at all would be my preference.